A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New 18 hole golfcourse
PostPosted: November 21st, 2008, 12:34 pm 
For any golf lovers out there i recently recieved details of a new 18 hole golf course which is currently under construction.It is located and being built just outside Cantanzaro close to Simeri Mare.in what looks like a very good location,with easy access.

Report this post

PostPosted: November 21st, 2008, 3:27 pm 

Is this for real, we have been looking for a golf course since we came out here? There is talk of a nine hole being built at Sant'Andrea Marina, the driving range is there already but only open in the Summer, we were shown the layout of the holes etc. but to date there isn't any sign of work going on there. There is a wonderful nine hole at Santa Caterina but that is strictly private, solely for those who own properties on the grounds, and some locals who are lucky enough to be invited to play. Apparently it will never be open to the public. How far advanced is the one near Catanzaro? There used to be a nine hole near Catanzaro Lido but apparently that has closed down.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 21st, 2008, 7:10 pm 

:shock: I sincerely hope this new golf course isn't the precursor of many others in Calabria! One of the attractions of the region is that the landscape is NOT disfigured by endless golf courses! They are unsightly, destroy the natural vegetation and wildlife and consume vast amounts of water. You have only to look at parts of Spain and Portugal to see how golf has ruined the landscape. Donald Trump wants to do the same to a (now) beautiful part of Scotland - all to make even more money and indulge the delusion of those who think a "nice walk spoiled" is actually a sport at all! On the other hand lets have a few more REAL sport facilities e.g. tennis courts, which take up little room and are usually in an urban setting only. Long live the NATURAL beauty of Calabria!!!
PS I hope this sparks a lively debate (all good-natured of(f) course - puns intended!!). Anyone for tennis?

Report this post
PostPosted: November 21st, 2008, 7:46 pm 

nduja wrote:
:shock: I sincerely hope this new golf course isn't the precursor of many others in Calabria! One of the attractions of the region is that the landscape is NOT disfigured by endless golf courses! They are unsightly, destroy the natural vegetation and wildlife and consume vast amounts of water. You have only to look at parts of Spain and Portugal to see how golf has ruined the landscape. Donald Trump wants to do the same to a (now) beautiful part of Scotland - all to make even more money and indulge the delusion of those who think a "nice walk spoiled" is actually a sport at all! On the other hand lets have a few more REAL sport facilities e.g. tennis courts, which take up little room and are usually in an urban setting only. Long live the NATURAL beauty of Calabria!!!
PS I hope this sparks a lively debate (all good-natured of(f) course - puns intended!!). Anyone for tennis?

yeah lets build loads of concrete tennis courts instead of lovely manicured golf courses . :wink:

Report this post
PostPosted: November 21st, 2008, 8:28 pm 

i'm sure the odd golf course in such a large area would do no harm plus it could encourage extra rentals and more flights !

Report this post
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2008, 1:06 am 

At the moment we look down on a lovely rolling valley and the sea, but even in the short time, since we bought May 2007, there are more and more apartments and private houses filling the landscape. I love Calabria as it is now and would hate to see it change. I am all for the natural landscape, that's why we bought and chose to live here. But if it is going to change and I believe it is, I would much prefer to be looking down on the green vegatation of a golf course and the various apartments that may be built around, than all the green space taken up with just apartment blocks and very little else. Hopefully the Italian mentality is such that it won't allow this to happen.

Even as a keen golfer, I don't agree with what is happening in Scotland either.

Last edited by Irishlass on November 22nd, 2008, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2008, 1:08 am 
Irishlass i think this is the same one but they are currently exstending it just outside Cantanzaro but was originally nine holes

Report this post

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2008, 2:05 am 
Both Portugal and Spain in particular even as a keen golfer myself went into overkill.However i do not believe that will happen in the Calabria region the major reason being that as a whole it is a very mountainous region with stricter controls and large suitable tracts of land would seem hard to find for this purpose. I am sure Two or three will probably be a very good thing on the East coast to promote tourism in the region and help put it on the map.

Report this post

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2008, 11:59 am 

Ouch Nduja ! Surely it is all down to compromise. What about all these extra houses and apartments being built to give us brits our holiday homes? :mrgreen: What about the motorways being built to get us to them quicker? :mrgreen: What about the wind turbines and electric pylons being erected to give us all the extra electricity we will need for our air-cons? :mrgreen: I think these things are more of a blot on the landscape than a couple of rolling golf courses. Anyway, I hate tennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2008, 2:00 pm 

stilo wrote:
Irishlass i think this is the same one but they are currently exstending it just outside Cantanzaro but was originally nine holes close to a new marina project you can google it at http://www.calabriapropertyfocus.com.

Thanks 'stilo' I think it is the same one, that new Marina area looks good.

Nduja, I really like tennis too, but I haven't played it for many years so you would probably trash me :roll:

Report this post
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2008, 9:52 pm 

:D OK - a few golf courses if space can be found, but not coast to coast!
It does pain me to see wonderful old olive or orange groves being bulldozed for development but many of the new blocks are for local people rather than foreigners, and we can't say they shouldn't have somewhere modern to live. The construction going on in non-touristy places like Zaccanopoli (just inland from Tropea) is quite amazing.
Incidentally most continental tennis courts of any quality are made of red shale (as at Roland Garros) or clay - much easier on both eye and foot!

Report this post
PostPosted: November 24th, 2008, 7:59 pm 

nduja wrote:
It does pain me to see wonderful old olive or orange groves being bulldozed for development but many of the new blocks are for local people rather than foreigners, and we can't say they shouldn't have somewhere modern to live.

I agree. We bought in Isca, and were told the olive grove behind the houses would stay. It now looks like it will be going too. :(

I'm all for locals moving to new houses. It will free up the quaint old village ones for us :D

Report this post
PostPosted: November 27th, 2008, 7:58 pm 
I thought some of this report makes for interesting reading regarding the effect that they can have on property prices within the area and timescales involved.
Golf course development costs rise, but celebrity still sells, KPMG report reveals

Development costs up 20% ­– but golf courses add significant real estate premiums

The cost of developing an 18-hole golf course has increased by more than 20% in the past three to five years, KPMG Golf Advisory Practice’s latest Golf Course Development Cost Survey for Europe, the Middle East and Africa has revealed.

The report, a new, updated version of a study first conducted in 2005, shows that the design and construction costs (excluding investments related to land acquisition, clubhouse, maintenance equipment and cart fleet etc) of an 18-hole golf course now ranges between €1.5 and €5.3 million in Europe, depending on location and quality, €5.1 million in Southern Africa, and €9.5 million in the Middle East, by far the most expensive region to develop a golf course.

Andrea Sartori, head of KPMG’s Golf Advisory Practice in the EMA, said: “The Middle East features the highest concentration of new, high-end and signature golf courses, designed by recognized golf course architects and famous professional golfers, who may command higher fees, but whose celebrity also beneficially increases premiums on real estate surrounding the course by more than 10%.”

The report, based on a sample of more than 150 courses in 27 different countries, features data collected in 2008 from new courses, where the trend is towards housing communities and tourist resorts, as well as extensions to existing courses, typically in established markets such as Great Britain and Ireland.

The average cost of an 18-hole course varies according to quality, with a lower to mid-quality course costing, on average, between €2.2 million and €3.0 million, high-end €5.9 million, and a signature course €6.8 million.

In Europe, the average development costs for 18-hole courses vary from €1.5 million in Eastern Europe, €2.6 million in Northern Europe, €2.7 million in Central Europe, €3.9 million in Great Britain and Ireland, to €5.3 million in Western Europe.

While the costs are highest in the Middle East (€9.5 million), partly because of the focus on high-end and signature courses, which tend to be 2 to 2.5 times more expensive to construct, golf course revenues and profits in this region are also substantially higher (average revenues top €5 million per annum, with gross operating profits of more than 30%, according to the KPMG Golf Benchmark Survey 2007).

The cost of developing a course combines pre-construction costs (11%), including planning permits and course design fees, plus construction costs (89%), including earthwork, irrigation, grassing and landscaping, but excluding land acquisition and investment in other facilities and golf course maintenance equipment.

Of the developments surveyed, 42% were connected to a tourist resort or real estate community. All of these respondents said they had achieved a premium on the sale of their real estate units as a result of their golf course, with 60% saying it was worth over 20% more compared to comparable non-golf course homes in the locality.

Three-quarters of developments with a recognized golf course architect said having a named architect further increased premiums on their real estate sales, just under half saying this was worth more than 10%, although a third said it was below 5%. Meanwhile, all developments with a signature designer experienced premiums on their real estate sales, generally above 10%.

Andrea Sartori added: “The architects were also asked where they thought the next golf development hot spots would be and were asked to name the five markets likely to experience the most significant growth in golf course development in the next 10 years. China (58%) and Eastern Europe (55%) topped the list by some distance, with the United Arab Emirates (43%), India (42%) and Russia (30%) making up the top five. It remains questionable in what measure the recent full scale unfolding of the financial and economic downturn will affect golf course development activities globally.”

Other findings of the report include:

it usually takes four to five years to construct a golf course from concept to realization, although planning permission can take anywhere between a few months, as it often does in the Middle East, to two or three years, in Northern Europe
obtaining a planning permit (mentioned by 36% of the respondents) is the single most difficult issue to overcome in golf course development, followed by weather delays (28%) and environmental opposition (24%). (NB: Water availability – 14%.)
earthwork and shaping account for 33% of construction costs, irrigation and drainage 21% and cart paths 15%
61% of developers stick to their budget for golf course construction, but a third overspent, 10% by a significant amount.

The full report is available to download for free from: http://www.golfbenchmark.com

Report this post

PostPosted: November 28th, 2008, 4:06 pm 

I find the 19th hole the best.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 28th, 2008, 7:56 pm 

I am glad there is going to be a golf course in that development, it looks good and looks more serious then the others that i have seen.

I have been checking and found out the jacobson is not doing the one in jewel of the sea...i think its weird since they have taken out all of the info and the video from there website...

I think something is going on and people should check!! :?

Report this post
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2008, 5:32 pm 
Hi Chris,

Where did you get your info from ?
Just looked at the Jacobson website and all the Info is still on there !

Report this post

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2008, 7:53 pm 

It's in fact under news: http://www.jacobsongolfcoursedesign.com/newsletter.htm

Report this post
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2008, 8:19 pm 
my info is that this one will be starting very soon aswell and that it has already been designed it was supposed to be april originally but heck that is golf courses for you.

Report this post

PostPosted: February 7th, 2016, 4:22 pm 

how about we start a "IN CALABRIA" golf society

Report this post