A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 3:12 pm 

Has anyone else received a new updated invoice form G&L. We received one this morning for professional services (I know, don't laugh!!) quoting the fixed fee of 1500euro.

Maybe it just us, but my main question is why now, when the property is no were near completion?

Also,I thought a fixed fee was just that, fixed? We are being charged extras: bar council contribution, land registry searches, bank charges, misc charges and professional indemnity cover and post charges?

Time I think to dis-instruct and find someone else.

Jojo

PS: Just to confirm the efficiency of the company, the invoice is dated 28/09/09, the letter dated 26/10/09 and we received it this morning, demanding payment within 7 days.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 4:01 pm 

jojo wrote:
Maybe it just us, but my main question is why now, when the property is no were near completion?

Not just you Jo, lots of people received demands for payment of fees and second 50% when developments are nowhere near finished.

Maybe the old "you need an addendum and we're going to charge you" scam isn't working well enough. Although to be fair, their Professional Idemnity insurance must be costing a fortune. Love to know who the insurance company is. :lol:

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 4:09 pm 

We too have received another invoice. I have emailed today:

'Further to your letter dated 26 October and the invoice enclosed therein, I
refer you to the email below in which your firm confirms that the fees we
have already paid take us right up to the final deed of sale etc. We agreed a fixed fee, and we have paid the fixed fee we are not therefore expecting any further invoices from your firm. I trust you accept this position and can confirm that your latest invoice was sent in error.'

The email I referred to was one I received from them in August 2007 that stated 'The fees do take you right up until the final deed of sale but do not
include Notary Fees which are around £160 if you use our Notary - Patrick,
or the fees for Power of Attorney which are around £180. This will be
explained to you closer to completion.'

I await my reply with baited breath!

Carol. :evil:

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 4:57 pm 

We have also paid what we thought were the fees upto completion.

I have emailed this afternoon asking them to explain the reason for the invoice and an explanation of the extra charges. Will keep everyone posted.

I can only say that I will be in no rush to be posting a cheque.

Jojo

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 6:11 pm 

JoJo

I really have got to laugh. We have also received a letter + green form + invoice today......however, we disinstructed them back in May :roll:

The builders, I understand, are claiming force majeure due to the storms last winter, so trying to cancel the agreement and claim back your deposit money is (I'm told) not allowed under Italian law. We decided to carry on and sit it out until finished (the builders reckon completion will be in stages between Feb and Jun 2010). I can't see that there is any need for an "addendum" to the existing contract. Just because the completion is late doesn't mean that the existing contract is void in any way. I would imagine that any addendum simply gives the builder a whole load of new rights and is just another opportunity for G&L to charge.

The lawyer we moved to (after disinstruting G&L) told me that we should carry on with the same contract unamended.

Like us, you will have paid your fee to them [G&L] when you instructed them at the beginning. Their recent letter probably states "we enclose our interim pro-forma invoice for the work done to date". Well, assuming you haven't given then any additional instruction since your first instruction, you will find that you have already paid for the work done to date.

I also have the strongest feeling that - if you continue with them - you will receive further invoices from time to time with other fabricated charges (e.g. when it comes to completion, you will probably be sent another invoice for their completion fees but which adds on a whole load of other unfathomable charges). And, of course, if you don't pay these you will be unlikely to see any of your file they hold.

I obviously can't advise you to disinstruct G&L, but if it were me I would definitely move to another lawyer (oh! I already have :D )

Sorry, rant over.
Beekeeper

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 9:27 pm 

we also have received this joke of an invoice from the joke firm!!
in no certain terms Ive emailed them to p**s OFF !!
until we get some answers,,,
1.why no bank guarantee ever seen
2, no signed contract by the builder
3,what happens if delayed again in June, more to pay!
4,why isn't the builder paying for the amendments now
5,why are you not chasing the builder for compensation for delays so far
6,no mention of interim payments ever until now, final payment due on completion not now
7,how long before we get our money back (double) if we decided not to go ahead and how much will you be charging!!
8 why do you not answer any letters or emails unless you want more money!
9 why cant we stay with original contract and claim compensation

lou c7

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 9:56 pm 

Hello,

I'm part of the club too and have received the same letter today.. I have never given G&L permission to transfer my file to italy and certainly never asked for any additional work. They are totally chancing their arm as there are bound to be a couple of buyers who will cough up the cash, but i, for one won't be paying a penny.

It makes me mad when consider other posts from people that completed on Amusa Mare who appointed a local lawyer just 4 weeks before completion and if i remember correctly paid a fixed fee of 500 euro for completion.

The best bet i guess is to stay with existing contract and just use a local lawyer to complete. There are already a couple of recommended lawyers on this great forum.

Paul

p.s.

italia4 (Lou) - i can answer the following:

8 - this is because they are only after your money
9 - you would be able to do this if the lawyer had included a clause to suitably cover you for this, however that would protect the buyer and not the developer.. :?

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 10:20 pm 

hi Paul

(Question 9)

what would happen if we sat tight and dint sign the new contract and stayed with our current one do you have any ideas ?
reading on other posts if we sign the new contract it means signing away any possible future claims we may have is this the case ?

Lou

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 10:30 pm 

Hi Lou,

sorry, was really referring to the option of claiming compensation. All in all staying with the existing contract looks like the best bet. By signing the new contract the only perople who i can see would benefit is the lawyer and the developer.

Paul - A31

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 11:24 pm 

Hi everyone
We also received the letter today and another green form as we didn`t complete the last one. We have no intention of completing this one either as we don`t want our money back and we don`t want to alter our contract. We have decided that the time has come to disinstruct them and get ourselves a decent lawyer. We don`t intend to pay them anymore money and will now be going through the forum to find a recommended lawyer. We were so happy this week seeing the pictures of the painters at work but this lot bring you back to earth with a bang!
Jean

PostPosted: November 12th, 2009, 8:26 am 

I thought is was November 11 not April 1. A few points

1. The exchange rate?

2. The 2% Bar Council Contibution where for?

3. The IVA quoted is is for Italy not the UK

4. Bank charges?

5. Professional Indeminty Cover :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. The post mark on the envelope

Barnpot

PostPosted: November 12th, 2009, 9:49 am 

We agree with all the points made and will be dis-instructing them very soon and will be looking at the other lawyers recommended on the forum.

It also very irrating that they don't bother to reply when contact is made, particularly when you query the fact that there are requesting money - again!

Jo and Alan

PostPosted: November 12th, 2009, 11:34 am 

We too have received the green form and invoice for £700. I have already stated to them by email that we will not be paying any more monies to them, but still they sent another copy.

Can anyone recommend a lawyer that we can use for Res Amusa completion, we really love the location and apartments and do want to purchase, just wish it could be sooner rathern than later !

PostPosted: November 12th, 2009, 12:36 pm 

Hi Linda

We are currently discussing the matter with Paolo Zagami with a view to instructing them, i have been impressed by the advice given by email and the fact that they are quoting a fixed fee of 1% of the purhcase price (not a minimum) and that the kind of extras including in the G&L invoice would be included as a fixed fee is exactly that - fixed. You can contact them as below or directly by email on: pzagami@gmail.com.

We have recently request advice by email on several occasions and have been answered promptly.

Like you, we wish to continue with our purchase and can't wait for it to be completed and are now left with a bad taste given G&L's attempts to part us from our hard earned cash.

Jo & Alan

Avvocato Paolo Zagami
“Zagamilaw” International Law Firm
Roma, Via dei Sansovino 6
Reggio Calabria, Via degli Arconti 25
New York, 122 East 42th street
www.zagamilaw.com

PostPosted: November 12th, 2009, 3:54 pm 

I too recieved an invoice for just over 1000 euros.
I did not return the green form and gave G&L no instructions to carry out any more work..as far as i was concerned I was finished with them when I got my initial provisional contract etc.
I spoke to the developer in August and asked them to send me the new bank guarantee etc.
I am thinking of completing with an interpreter and to hell with these lawyers.
I will not be sending them any more money.
Mel

PostPosted: November 12th, 2009, 5:13 pm 

Mel

Have you formally disinstructed them? If it was your intention to finish with them after receiving your preliminary contract, you will need to formally disinstruct them (and ensure you have proof of receipt of your disinstruction) otherwise your account with them keeps rolling on and you leave yourself exposed to their shenningans.

Beekeeper

PostPosted: November 17th, 2009, 4:03 pm 

jojo wrote:
Hi Linda

We are currently discussing the matter with Paolo Zagami with a view to instructing them, i have been impressed by the advice given by email

I have recently instructed this Law Firm and they have been excellent, quick to reply, keep you in the loop and best of all seem to have a personal touch as they dont seem to just "look at the money" I would endorse them.

I have just ignored G&L's letter as it seems they just want to screw as much money from their clients.........(or ex clients) :wink:

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 6:06 pm 

Yes, we too have received an invoice from G & L. I have not had time to deal with it, but I will not be paying it.

Wonderful to see some photo's of interior of RA. Nice choice of tiles. Roll on May/June 2010.

Louise RA 16C

PostPosted: November 21st, 2009, 7:39 pm 

havn't got this inv yet but no doubt its on the way! re disinstructing and getting nother lawyer am i not gonna end up paying twice? i.e will still be chased by g&l for fee and new lawyer fee ? is there any risk if G&L havnt done their job right to date!?

PostPosted: November 21st, 2009, 11:09 pm 

Hi ceach22

Yes there is a risk if G&L haven't done their job right. Luckily, there is enough evidence (from other buyers in Res Amusa) to suggest things are going okay with the development (legally, that is).

The invoice, green form etc are pretty meaningless as the existing contract is still valid. There may well be a clause allowing the buyer to cancel and claim their money back, but (apparently) this is virtually unenforceable under Italian law given that the builder is claiming "force majeure" as a result of last winter's storms (nothing to do with the time of all his builders being taken up with the development next door....of course!). There is certainly no case to pay G&L for any addendum.

We did move to a new lawyer and did end up paying again.....but at least we now have evidence of the relevant searches etc being done. On that front the news is good. We also have a reasonable flow of information coming to us that we never had with our friends in Palermo. I feel it was worth it; for peace of mind.

You may never get this invoice and green form knowing how efficient they are (we got them and we're not clients of theirs any more!!!)

Beekeeper

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 10:49 am 

Ceach22

As Beekeeper says if you change lawyer you will have to pay again. However if you have registered a complaint with LCS and it is upheld and you obtain an adjudication you may recover some of the costs, but this is not certain and may take a long time. I would suggest it may to be your advantage to speak to the LCS, this assumes that the lawyer you are complaining about was at the time you instructed them was regulated by the UK Law Society.

I would also suggest that it will be very informative if you study the posts that Lavender has made on this subject

Barnpot

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2009, 12:07 pm 

Dear all/
Has anyone had any replies fron G&L reguarding non payment
of the new invoice\ greenform \ammendments etc.
mel