A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 13th, 2009, 9:57 am 

Lavender,
No I didn't raise that question.

Thanks Elise.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2009, 11:08 am 

Paul wrote:
Hi,
Spoke to Giambrone & Law yesterday and they informed me that the builder has agreed to pay the addendum costs

That's because the addendum is in the builder's interests and not yours . . . . and you should ask your independant legal representation, who are working for you, why they would advise you to sign such a document. They're drafting an addendum being paid for by the builder that represents your interests? Think about it please!

PostPosted: October 13th, 2009, 11:41 am 

Park1 wrote:
Paul wrote:
Hi,
Spoke to Giambrone & Law yesterday and they informed me that the builder has agreed to pay the addendum costs

That's because the addendum is in the builder's interests and not yours . . . . and you should ask your independant legal representation, who are working for you, why they would advise you to sign such a document. They're drafting an addendum being paid for by the builder that represents your interests? Think about it please!

Quite!

It's interesting because we are starting to understand more and more how one lawyer acting on behalf of a group of purchasers does not protect your individual interests. I'll leave that for another day, or a book!!

As I understand it, the role of a lawyer when you instruct him is to explain your different options and then advise you on the best course of action to take to mitigate your risk and protect your interests.

In this case, it is likely that the builder will complete Residential Amusa because you know that he has the completion monies coming from Amusa Mare. However you have to adopt a position which best protects your interests when the contract date expires. An addendum to the contract does not necessarily do that as has been proved to be the case on another development and might actually put you in a worse position.

If all your options have not been explained to you then my advice to buyers would be to seek independent legal advice prior to the expiry of the contract date to ensure you adopt the best position to mitigate your risk and protect your best interests when it actually expires.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2009, 3:18 pm 

Hi Guys

Thought you would like to see the reply from Kierran Klingenbergs to our email sent to him this morning, raising quite a few of the points as raised by Lavender last week.

"Thank you for your email.

I would like to confirm that we have received your green form by fax this morning.

You will receive a draft copy of the new contract in Italian and English so that you may provide our lawyers with your comments or thoughts and/or raise any queries before signing the amended preliminary contracts.

We have spoken with the builder of the above development and he has honored to pay the fee to our firm for the drafting of the new contracts.

All checks are in place and we can confirm that the builder has confirmed to us that the development will be completed by May 2010. this will also include the communal areas and swimming pool.

The Report on Title is an English feature that is not usually provided under Italian law by the lawyers. However, Giambrone Law has always adopted an “English” approach to Italian conveyancing hence we can confirm that a Report on Title will be provided together with the amended contracts.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Kierran Klingenbergs"

Please feel free to comment.

Jo & Alan

PostPosted: October 13th, 2009, 8:05 pm 

Hi!

Great to hear the the builder has confirmed that the development will be completed by May 2010 including the communal areas and swimming pool which is surprising.

We are not G&L clients but it seems strange to read that they approached their clients first for the money due and not the builder after all they are representing you guys.

Berni

PostPosted: October 13th, 2009, 8:29 pm 

glad to hear we will not have to pay for something out of our control and something which has caused great inconvenience for many of us.

Hard to see all development finished by may with pool etc from what i saw there last july,

hope all gets done by next summer,

mikec

PostPosted: October 14th, 2009, 11:01 am 

Thanks to all who posted responses about the delays to Amusa completion, your comments have been really helpful. After due consideration we have decided to return our green form and have chosen option one with a caveat that the builder pays the costs of the addendum for the delayed completion of May 2010.

As we were quoted a fixed fee, we have also asked for confirmation that what we have paid takes us right up until the final deed of sale excluding Notary Fees, or the fees for Power of Attorney and that no further solicitors costs will be payable.

We've also asked for the Bank Guarantee to be renewed up to the new completion date.

Ever hopeful, we just need sterling to pick up now we have another seven months!

Carol. :wink:

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 8:54 pm 

Hi al,

Hope this works, i e-mailed G&L last nite, and this is there reply.

Hello,

I am the buyer of Residentiali Amusa-C15.

I have recieved your letter regarding new completion date.
I will be choosing option 1 however before i fax the green reply form, then send hard copy though the post i would like a few questions answered.

1. As stated in your letter, you say several other investors in the development have asked you to lodge a claim against the builder. Will this make the builder stop development of the apartments?
[Studio Giambrone] As stated in our previous correspondence, litigation is an option to be considered as a last resort and it will take quite a long time to finish. The builder still has a contractual obligation to the buyers to complete the development and, even if some clients cancel their purchase, this will enable him to resell those apartments. Therefore we do not feel that any pending litigation will cause the builder to decide not to complete the development.

2.You also state in option 2 part8- Judgment will be enered by the court-should you be successful- we will ask for an order for cost against the losing parties;if they do not comply with the order, we may issue enforcement proceedings in the usual way; but compliance with the court order will depend of the Developer having the money to satisfy adverse judgment----will this still be the case in May if the development is still not completed?
[Studio Giambrone] If you accept the delayed completion and therefore sign the addendum to the contract, the courts will not look favourably on the builder because you (as the purchaser) have given them a chance to complete it. In the event that the date of May 2010 is not reached, litigation will still be required and therefore the advice as to enforcement will remain the same.

3.Also the legal costs you state in option 2 for court proceddings, will we still incure these costs in May if the development is still not complete?
[Studio Giambrone] If the builder does not complete by May and then you decide to litigate, then the fees quoted in Option 2 will then be incurred as well.

4.Also you have already informed another cilent that the builder will pay the cost of the new fees for the Addendum-is this still the case?
[Studio Giambrone] We have successfully negotiated with the builder that he will contribute €500 plus IVA to the contract, this will leave a balance of approximately €300 to be borne by the buyer. We do not have this confirmed in writing but it will be written into the addendum.

5 Can you also confirm that the money i have paid your company to date, takes me right up to the final deed of sale(excluding the notary fee?)
[Studio Giambrone] The money paid to date forms part of the fixed fee (1% subject to a minimum of €1500) and the balance of the fixed fee will be invoiced shortly. This fee takes into consideration everything up to but not including completion and the additional tasks of drafting the addendum or instigating litigation proceedings.

6 can you also confirm, will i recieve a bank gauratee that will take me up to and including the new completion date?
[Studio Giambrone] We have requested updated guarantees from the builder and upon receipt they will be sent to you. The builder has a legal obligation to ensure that the deposit is covered by an adequate guarantee up to and including the completion of the building works.

7 Will you please also confirm that bella calabria have my £3000 reservation fee, and also my first big deposit?
[Studio Giambrone] In general the reservation fee was paid to Italian Connection and this formed part of their commission in selling the project. We confirm that Bella Calabria were sent your deposit in February 2008.

I am happy they replied and will be returning the form 2mor.

Ciaran.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 9:08 pm 

thanks for your post Jake,

it seems to help as i am just about to fax back form also ,

i would still think we have no reason to pay for this as fault is not ours,

roll on May 2010,

mikec

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 10:32 pm 

Thanks for your post Jake, two things you have been told seem to contradict what I and a couple of others have been told:

1) That by creating an addendum there will be a balance of approximately €300 to be borne by the buyer. I have an email saying that 'he [Mr Mirarchi]will cover the fees to our firm for the drafting of the new contracts'. This, I understood to be the whole fee.

2) The money we have paid to date (and you I guess), we understood to be the 'fixed fee', the minimum seems to have now risen to €1,500 (inflation???), we are not expecting another invoice and wouldn't be very happy if we got one which is why I asked the same question as you! I need to check carefully on this but I cannot recall seeing that amount quoted as a minimum figure way back when we started.

Hopefully we can all stick together on this and all get the same treatment, after all it's cheaper for them to produce everything in bulk! It is great to read we all seem to be taking the same option, roll on May 2010!

Carol.

P.S. I wish they'd stop talking litigation, anyone would think that's what they want.........................!!!!!

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 10:44 pm 

By the way.......must be my age, keep forgetting things! We emailed the bloke from Calabria Completions to ask about updated pics and he said they’ve changed their website to www.calabria4homes.com (not sure why).

Anyway, there are some updated pics and there has definitely been a bit of progress since the last lot, and there’s a comment saying there were 10 men on site when they went to take the pictures...!

Carol.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 11:27 pm 

Carol wrote:
2) The money we have paid to date (and you I guess), we understood to be the 'fixed fee', the minimum seems to have now risen to €1,500 (inflation???), we are not expecting another invoice and wouldn't be very happy if we got one which is why I asked the same question as you! I need to check carefully on this but I cannot recall seeing that amount quoted as a minimum figure way back when we started.

This is because you are now dealing with a different law firm. The one you originally instructed in the UK (Giambrone Law) was governed by the UK Law Society. The one you are dealing with in Italy (Studio Legale Giambrone) is not under UK Law Society juristiction. As I understand it, your retainer in the UK would have been closed down and a new one opened in Italy. I hope this information isn't news to you, but the Legal Complaints Service will be able to give you more information on this particular issue.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 12:01 pm 

masa1179 wrote:
Dear All,

I also bought San Sostene through Giambrone and received that letter a couple of days ago with the two options.

In the last couple of days I have been trying to get second opinions from other lawyers in Calabria on this latest development with San Sostene. From what they say, the information provided by G&L is not exactly correct. Option 1 does not have any legal foundation because our preliminary contracts should already cover in it the event of a delay by the part of the builder. As far as I remember, there was a 6month period which is pardoned after which the buyer is entitled to a sum of money for every month of delay. In other words why should any of us buyers pay for an addendum at this stage, when any delays are already covered in the preliminary contract, and pay for this new addendum out of our pocket!?!?

Also as the delay is covered in the preliminary contract, a delay by part of the builder does not exactly constitute a serious breach of contractual obligations. Therefore it is not possible to consider cancellation of the contract unless it can be proved that the delay will be such to become a breach by part of the builder. A proposed completion of May 2010 does not constitute this.

Option 2 has to be considered as the very last resort. The time can be very long for such a process and costly and worse of all riddled with uncertainty. However the total estimated quote provided in the letter for legal assistance in the opinion of the lawyer I spoke to appears a little excessive.

Our contracts in most cases I imagine had a 31/12/2009 as a completion date so what this lawyer was recommending was to hold on until this date and see what happens. He was recommending trying to resolve and such issues with the build in the most amicable way possible.

The letter also talks about “force majeure” that the builder might claim. According to the opinion of this lawyer I spoke to, the financial crisis is not by law a “force majeure”. Also natural events may be, and has to be proved by the builder, however, a period of drought does not constitute a force majeure either.

Finally the lawyer said that given the incorrect information provided by this letter by G&L there may be a case to report their letter to the “Ordine degli Avvocati Italiano” (Order of Italian Lawyers).

I also spoke to a second lawyer and here is in brief their opinion. The two options provided are not optimal. Option 1 is unreasonable as the buyer is being asked to pay for a new addendum when the delay is on the part of the builder. Option 2 can only be considered in the event of a serious breach and can a delay be considered as such? Apparently the law in this area is not that clear and raising the possibility of losing the case. Such a case could even take 3-4 years! In other words it does not contradict what the first lawyer had told me.

Now, I think it’s good for us buyers to collectively discuss and have strength in numbers. From the opinions provided above I am of the opinion that neither of the options should be chosen.

It sounds like the San Sostene buyers have received a similar letter to the Residential Amusa buyers.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2009, 12:47 pm 

Paul wrote:
Hi,
This is my first contribution - hope i'm doing it right! Spoke to Giambrone & Law yesterday and they informed me that the builder has agreed to pay the addendum costs - which is only right. So panic over! The guy I spoke to was Kieran Klingenberg and he spoke to me immediately and was very helpful. Therefore I have returned the green form with the first box ticked as requested. By the way does anybody know if this is the same builder that is currently working on the Collinetta site?
Paul

Hi all,
So we can be assured that if we go for option 1 and return the green form we will not be charged any extra?
It is so hard to trust anyone after all this time and broken promises.
mel

PostPosted: October 17th, 2009, 12:56 pm 

mel wrote:
Hi all,
So we can be assured that if we go for option 1 and return the green form we will not be charged any extra?
It is so hard to trust anyone after all this time and broken promises.
mel

No you cant.

Judging from what I've seen, it appears the €1500 fixed fee is an additional cost by the Italian firm over and above the invoice that was paid when you signed the contract when instructing Giambrone & Law in London.

You should get charges clarified in writing before signing anything as once you return the green form you will enter a relationship with the Italian firm Giambrone and possibly will not be able to go to the Legal Complaints Service to have any of the bills quashed.

jake2007 wrote:
5 Can you also confirm that the money i have paid your company to date, takes me right up to the final deed of sale(excluding the notary fee?)
[Studio Giambrone] The money paid to date forms part of the fixed fee (1% subject to a minimum of €1500) and the balance of the fixed fee will be invoiced shortly. This fee takes into consideration everything up to but not including completion and the additional tasks of drafting the addendum or instigating litigation proceedings.

Carol wrote:
The money we have paid to date (and you I guess), we understood to be the 'fixed fee', the minimum seems to have now risen to €1,500 (inflation???), we are not expecting another invoice and wouldn't be very happy if we got one which is why I asked the same question as you! I need to check carefully on this but I cannot recall seeing that amount quoted as a minimum figure way back when we started.

You should check this thread to because Howard appears to be saying that if the development runs past its due date you might be able to claim Italian Connection's fee of €3000 from the credit card company. I doubt whether you would be able to do that if you take option 1.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2363

PostPosted: October 17th, 2009, 6:36 pm 

Deadline was yesterday and we are wondering what others have decided for Amusa and G&L letter. We took option 3 with the addition of the developer coughing up, bank guarantee to be extended, and the delay is summer not May as we would be in the same boat then as now, as the developer said they needed the extension to Summer, and last time I checked May was in Spring!

Is there a way we can exchange info offline. I am happy for people to email me direct. We live in Enfield and I note there is a Herts person online.

Eloise

PostPosted: October 17th, 2009, 6:44 pm 

They certainly get more money from everyone in terms of fees if it goes this route!

Eloise
Carol wrote:
Thanks for your post Jake, two things you have been told seem to contradict what I and a couple of others have been told:

1) That by creating an addendum there will be a balance of approximately €300 to be borne by the buyer. I have an email saying that 'he [Mr Mirarchi]will cover the fees to our firm for the drafting of the new contracts'. This, I understood to be the whole fee.

Hopefully we can all stick together on this and all get the same treatment, after all it's cheaper for them to produce everything in bulk! It is great to read we all seem to be taking the same option, roll on May 2010!

Carol.

P.S. I wish they'd stop talking litigation, anyone would think that's what they want.........................!!!!!

PostPosted: October 17th, 2009, 6:47 pm 

Here's what we sent them. Fax didn't work so in desperation after a week trying I emailed this today.

We write with reference to the letter received from yourselves regarding Residencia Amusa and Bella Calabria’s failure to meet the agreed completion date and to instruct you in our choice of proceedings. We have noted a number of clauses in the Preliminary Contract that refers to delay in completion and reimbursement, including where the developer would be liable for a charge for each month of delay, however your explanation is not clear on this. If the developer is at fault it should not warrant that the buyer is responsible for the additional costs to amend the contract. As such we should not be expected to pay the additional fees and are proposing to move forward on this and accept a loss in earnings for the delay but expect the developer to cover any legal costs or other costs associate with their failure to meet their contractual obligations.

Other - Draft an addendum to the Contract and accept the delayed completion date and that any additional associated costs resulting from the delay, including the legal costs mentioned in your letter, are reclaimed from the developer prior to or at completion. The addendum needs to cover the period that the developer has stated they require to complete (Summer 2010) not May 2010 as proposed as this will no doubt result in the same scenario when we get to May next year. The developer is also required to supply the bank guarantee extended to cover this period. Please note that we have requested this from you on a number of occasions as it expired in January this year, we have still not received this, nor any correspondence as to why not or or what the delay was.

Please can you confirm back at your earliest convenience what is happening in this matter.

Thankyou

PostPosted: October 20th, 2009, 10:48 pm 

[color=#400080]so great to have found this forum - no longer feel at sea with the whole thing! I look forward to meeting some of you future neighbours at some point!

I also spoke to Kierran in G&L and have been in touch with emails. We have asked him to go ahead and extend contract dates, I have asked him to confirm that the builder is covering the costs and that no additional cost will be incurred by us. He just confirmed that cost to draft contract woudl be covered! vague enough to hit us with another charge i think so will push for him to confirm the 'no additional cost to us' wording! :) Interesting to note that this will bring us out of UK law - is this a problem I wonder?

Also I asked why May when I understood thy might not finish till June (BC letters indicate June) - he advised that he has only been told may but that when they send the draft contracts we can request the date to be june.

Going to take a visit late november, will browse here for travel and accomodation options - or if anyone can post any? I see a few posters are from Meath - we are Meath / Dublin.

Will also try meet Bella Calabria and Brian Eastwood while I'm there and wanted to look into changing lawyers? has anyone done this? and advices on italian mortgage options / solicitors?

So many questions!! I'll take photos and post them and update on any info gleaned from the trip!

Thanks all - hopefully next summer we'll be lying by the pool laughing about it all!! :lol:

PostPosted: October 20th, 2009, 10:52 pm 

oh KK also advised that they have sent the original bank gaurantee to BC for renewal (hence why he can't provide copy of original!:)) so i emailed Dana and asked her to confirm and advise when new ones could be expected. anybody know the process? I assume BC do these and give them to solicitor as security on deposits paid?

PostPosted: November 9th, 2009, 11:30 pm 

Hi all!

I see a few more updated photos of Amusa Residential on www.calabria4homes.com. The painting on the outside has started and it looks really nice. We're getting there!

Berni

PostPosted: November 10th, 2009, 1:11 pm 

Hi Lorica,

I have received 2 pm's from you regarding keeping in touch with people who are buying in Amusa. I can not reply by pm as I keep getting the No Recipient Defined Message. If you want to pm you e-mail address to me I will reply that way.

Pooch

PostPosted: November 10th, 2009, 7:11 pm 

I've seen the photos and there is a marked difference from when we were there 2 weeks ago. lets hope it is moving on rapidly now. Has anyone any idea why they are putting up a retaining wall between the apartments and the orange grove.

Turtle

PostPosted: November 10th, 2009, 9:05 pm 

Hi Turtle,

I can't believe the difference it makes just seeing a bit of paint! We might get
our apartments after all.. :D

When we were over in 2008 Rocco the architect mentioned that the orange groves between the apartments and supermarket would have some kind of public play park. It sounded ok they way he put it across and he did mention a lot of the trees would be kept. This would be the local council that would build this though so i guess it would be better than another 100 or so apartments.

Roll on June 2010.

Paul

PostPosted: November 10th, 2009, 11:17 pm 

Hi Ceach 22. Bop here. We were in Calabria 3 weeks ago. The builders were
tiling our apart, D35 when we were there.7 men were on site that day. We took some photos but as I am not up on computers I have to wait to get
my son to post them up.I notice that block has been painted on the outside since we were there. Anyway we travelled from Dublin to Milan & stopped overnight in the Holiday Inn. They supply a courtesy car. You ring them. Phone No.3902553601. We made the mistake in hiring a taxi. So be carefull.
The next day we flew to LaMenzia. We have found out since that you can do the two in one day Dublin to Milan Milan to La Menzia.. Hope you have a nice trip.Let us know how things are please.

Fred & Maura.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2009, 9:51 am 

Hi Fred & Maura

We ar next door to D34 (The one on the corner) and are very pleased to hear that the insides are being tiled. We have a walk about our apartment in June and were very pleased to see the progress being made then.

Jo & Alan

PostPosted: November 21st, 2009, 7:29 pm 

Hi Fred, Maura, that great thanks am flying milan lamezia in same day. off tue morn and back at end of next week so look forwrd to posting update then! by the way anyone with G&L and get the extension contracts?
cheers
Ciara

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 3:06 pm 

Hi All,

There are some updated photos of Residential Amusa on

http://www.propertymarketitaly.com

Mike and Lisa

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 3:59 pm 

Hi All Res Amusa Buyers

Have you all joined the Res Amusa google group?

Pm me with your email address if you wish to join.

Lorica

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 6:17 pm 

great photos on propertymarket italy really uplifting

PostPosted: December 8th, 2009, 10:35 pm 
hi everyone buying in residential amusa, just received an e-mail from my lawyer informing me that our apt a18 will not be completed till 20/9/10, which is ridiculous, we were told june, but now another delay

may

PostPosted: December 8th, 2009, 11:07 pm 

Hi May,

It looks like the development will be completed in 3 phases with 40 appartments ready at a time. 20th Mar (Small block), 20th June & 20th Sept
are the 3 dates.

Im in the small block so not too bad but not sure if we will have any pool or if the place will be like a building site till all are completed.

There is more info on the Amusa goggle group which is specific to this development.

Paul

PostPosted: December 9th, 2009, 9:33 am 

May Crooks and any other Amusa buyers

Send me an private message with your email address and apartment number
and I will send you an invite to join the Amusa google group.Lorica

PostPosted: December 9th, 2009, 10:21 am 

Morning Lorica

I am having a problem sending pm's but we wuld love to join the google group.

You can email me on jo-norris@hotmail.co.uk.

Thanks.

Jo & Alan (D34)

PostPosted: December 10th, 2009, 1:43 pm 

May Crooks and any other Amusa buyers

Send me an private message with your email address and apartment number
and I will send you an invite to join the Amusa google group.

Lorica

PostPosted: December 17th, 2009, 9:57 pm 

Hi Lorica

I would like to join but I can't see how to send you a pm so here's my email address pamlonsdale@aol.com

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 7:16 pm 

Hello there

We are buying D16 Residential Amusa. Are you using Giambrone & Law Solicitors and if so have you been asked to pay extra legal fees for the drafting of new contracts?

Thanks

Elizabeth

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 8:14 pm 

Hi Candy,

I think nearly all of us have been asked to pay extra legal costs and most are refusing on the basis that we have paid our 'fixed fee'. PM Lorica and join the Amusa Google Group!

Regards. :wink:

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 9:12 am 

Hi

A point to consider why does it seem that only the clients of a certain law firm who used to practice in the UK until it which encounterd some difficulties to be the only ones that have been asked to have an addendum.

Regards

Barnpot

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 1:23 pm 

Hi There,

have stumbled upon this site and I'm delighted. I'm not so sure how all this kind of stuff works, but I'll have a go. I have also bought in the amusa residential, so nice to have contact with a few more of you. I'm C10. Would be great to join the google group that is mentioned, if anybody can instruct me how. Won't ramble on here forever, but will be checking for new posts and see if I get any replies,
resam!

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 1:51 pm 

Hi Resam

I have sent you a private message on how to join the Res Amusa google group.

Lorica

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 7:52 pm 

Hi all,

There are a few updated photos of Amusa Res on the website www.propertymarketitaly.com

Regards,

Berni

PostPosted: February 8th, 2010, 7:29 pm 

Can someone advise how to join the google group please? I have tried sending details but unable to send for some reason.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2010, 11:08 pm 

Sadie 18

I have sent you a PM with details on how to join the Amusa goole group.

lorica

PostPosted: February 9th, 2010, 5:03 pm 

lorica wrote:
Sadie 18

I have sent you a PM with details on how to join the Amusa goole group.

lorica

Can someone pm me as well with details on how to join Amusa google group

PostPosted: February 9th, 2010, 6:07 pm 

iloveitaly

I have sent you a PM

lorica

PostPosted: February 12th, 2010, 9:07 am 

iloveitaly.

Did you get my PM on how to join the Res Amusa google group
Are there any other Amusa buyers who would like to join?

Lorica