A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ryanair STN - SUF
PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 11:14 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
ADMIN I am starting this new thread as I couldn't access the Ryanair ones on "Flights to Calabria" in the Board Index.
I have just booked a return flight to SUF for £159.87 a few days outside the half term week. The price if you book 26 May - 2nd June (half term) would have been £337.74! Both these prices include the extras for reserved seat, priority boarding and the new two bag policy charges.
This is scandalous and this racketeering should be banned. Ryanair are not the only airline that does this.
As for the new baggage policy of forcing you to pay for a priority booking to ensure that you can take two pieces of luggage on board and more or less guarantees the largest can be taken in the cabin will only increase the size of the 'Priority' queue

Post subject: Re: Ryanair STN - SUF
PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 10:33 pm 

Thanks for this.

What are the current alternatives for travelling to Calabria but avoiding Ryan Air in Summertime?

I live near Gatwick so flights to Naples then train down (we prefer not to drive a car) is a long hot journey especially if the air conditioning is broken, but somehow preferable to me to using Ryan Air. I guess we could break the journey and stay somewhere for a night or two.

Any other alternatives?

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 10:34 am 

Hi Mrs Teapot,
You a fortunate living near Gatwick, Easyjet fly to Milan Malpensa (MXP) and on to Lamezia (SUF) offering competitive prices.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 10:21 pm 

Ooh that is a top tip - thank you very much. I've never taken two separate flights before, what should I be doing/avoiding to ensure I don't miss the second flight. I'm going to have a look. Thanks so much.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 9:29 am 

Select a flight from LGW and from MXP that has a reasonable time in between the eta and etd.
I think you'll have to go out through immigration, go to Domestic departure and check in again for the SUF flight. You'll have to do the smae on your return flight. This does add time to the journey but it has been financially worthwhile.
Perhaps someone on the Forum has done this recently and can advise.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 12:17 pm 

The process depends on whether there are two separate bookings or one ticket with a change. We've often flown Alitalia on one ticket with a change at Rome or Milan. With that, any bags are checked through, so they don't need to be collected and rechecked, and if the connecting flight is missed, because the first flight arrives late, the airline will be responsible for sorting out the next leg. With 2 separate tickets then the responsibility falls on the passenger to make the connection and they'll have to collect bags etc at the interchange airport.

This is why Ryanair now offering through tickets with changes in Italy could be a big improvement.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 1:04 am 

Thanks for the replies, guys.