A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 10th, 2013, 2:30 am 

Dear All,

A couple of interesting articles found within the local press – Official Links:

http://www.ilcrotonese.it/homepage/2013 ... -e-crotone

http://www.ilcirotano.it/ripresa-voli-r ... itagorico/

My Summary:

1) Ryanair have proactively contacted Crotone Airport proposing to start ‘internal’ Italian flights.
2) Airport destinations initially include Rome (Ciampino), Milan (Bergamo) and Pisa.
3) Flights to commence April 2013 no later than May 2013 on the proviso that:
a) The Passenger Terminal construction works (for expansion and renovation) are completed prior to the first flight arriving.
b) Trees that are safety obstacles to the electronic systems used by Ryanair planes to land and pose a danger for access to the runway are pruned/cut/reduced by at least 6m.

Crotone Airport needs to understand that Airports rarely make any significant direct profit from Ryanair flights via “standard” airport charges to cover their Airport operating costs i.e. payroll, heat/light, maintenance etc.

However, Crotone Airport also need to understand that they are in a weak negotiating position i.e. they are currently in a static, non-profit making status as a non-flight operating airport. Regardless of the amount of "interest" shown by other companies, no contracts have yet been offered let alone exchanged with any other significant company – hence Ryanair’s approach of strength.

Will Crotone accept? Typically time will tell!

Regards,

Mickey ‘O’

Last edited by 2ndGenCalabrian on March 11th, 2013, 12:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2013, 9:34 am 

Thanks for your updates and insight!

PostPosted: March 10th, 2013, 12:30 pm 

This is awfully similar to the 'Ryanair are coming to Crotone' thread five years ago, except that that was absolutely definite. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1190

PostPosted: March 10th, 2013, 9:01 pm 

Hi gsullymorgan,

gsullymorgan wrote:
This is awfully similar to the 'Ryanair are coming to Crotone' thread five years ago, except that that was absolutely definite.

Agreed... albeit the "facts" submitted by the contributor in 2008 were firstly that he "...heard it on the grapevine" then when sense checked by yourself with your logical reasoning, he secondly advised "I know because I was at dinner last night with some of the people who organized it!!". Ha, ha, ha... classic!

The significant difference this time, is that you have direct quotes from the Airport Management Team shared via the media. Not hypothetically, by some "organisers" sharing a packet of peanuts with a member of bar staff? Also take note that this is a completely different management team at the airport than that of 2008, who fingers crossed, may have a more mature view when it comes to business acumen? i.e. If Ryanair arrive, the marketing/publicity/exposure that Crotone Airport will receive, simply could not be afforded by the Crotone Airport Management team.

As proven at other fledgling airports, Ryanairs arrival tends to then act as a catalyst for other companies to "take a chance" at the same airport. I stress that other companies will NOT be allowed to compete on the exact same routes as those operated by Ryanair - there standard T&C's.

Hence, as mentioned previously, whilst Airports rarely make any significant direct profit from Ryanair flights via “standard” airport charges, the indirect profit earned from other commercial activities and cross sales can be very significant. Typically this includes but is not limited to a demand for leased floor space at the airport from retailers, car hire company representation, long/short term car park fees etc.

Again, have the management team done the sums or will they revert to being short-sighted? Personally is it not better to have say 50% (profit) of something rather than a 100% of nothing?

As per always... time will tell.

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 11:26 pm 

Although it will not mean direct flights to Crotone from London any time soon ( which would be brilliant for me personally if it were to happen ) it would be great news if, finally, after all these years, another airport in the area were to start taking budget airline flights, which as stated, could well lead to others dipping their toe in the water. Would love to see Easy Jet or Air One ( Alitalia ) starting a service to London. Maybe my dream will finally become a reality. :)

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 11:40 am 

Apparently there is going to be a press conference announcing 3 internal flights from Crotone with Ryanair today: http://www.lastampa.it/2013/05/06/blogs/allacciate-le-cinture/domani-l-annuncio-di-ryanair-a-crotone-ma-fra-le-destinazioni-non-ci-sara-torino-jMSS1fMSeeMgylw7UztUuJ/pagina.html

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 1:21 am 

Hi Briciolo,

My information hasn't changed i.e. the Airport destinations initially include Rome (Ciampino), Milan (Bergamo) and Pisa with a new start date of June 2013. Whereas the link provided indicates Bologna, Milan (Bergamo) e Pisa.

Good news either way.

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 6:34 am 

Hi Mickey O. Yes - those routes (Rome not Bologna) have now been announced.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 12:48 pm 

Ryanair have not released it yet on their website

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 1:01 pm 

This website has some details http://www.cn24.tv/news/67663/trasporti-ryanair-approda-all-aeroporto-di-crotone.html

- Rome Ciampino - Mon, Thu, Fri, Sun.
- Bergamo and Pisa - not clear from the report.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2014, 1:47 am 

Dear All,

Typically after much Italian "talking and posturing" (I'm surprised anything get's done at all in this country?) it would appear that the Internal National flights that were expected to operate in Summer 2013 by Ryanair at Crotone Airport will now (hopefully?) finally start in Summer 2014 i.e. towards the end of June 2014. This following the announcement at a Regional Press Conference held in the last few days that Ryanair had won the tender.

Whilst full details have yet to be finalised in true 'black and white' it is anticipated that the destination airports will be (Milan) Bergamo, Rome Ciampino and Pisa with 3 flights per week, per airport.

The most interesting point of note to come out of the conference was that Ryanair are already negotiating on other future routes to Crotone - no hints as to whether they are National/International with the caveat that Negotiation being one thing and launching routes being another.

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

PostPosted: July 17th, 2014, 5:57 pm 

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/novit ... ?market=it

Dear All,

The start has finally happened... Ryanair commence flights from Crotone to Pisa as of Monday 1st September 2014. Full Ryanair Italian Press Release as per link above.

Regards,

Mickey O

PostPosted: July 30th, 2014, 7:19 am 

Dear All,

Official Press Conference in Crotone this afternoon, Wednesday 30th July 2014, with John Alborante, Sales and Marketing Manager of Ryanair Italia.

The big question which I assume will be asked to and responded by Ryanair in their usual flirty, provocative manner is of course "Do you have any plans for any any further routes?"

The answer of course is "Yes" but the real question should be "Will the future routes be Internal (Italian national connections), International (cross border connections) or both and to what destinations?"

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

PostPosted: July 31st, 2014, 8:55 pm 

Dear All,

Official Ryanair Italian Press Release Link: http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/novit ... ?market=it

Bullet Point Headlines:

* From Monday 1st September 2014 - Flights to/from Pisa with a frequency of four per week i.e. every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
* From Sunday 26th October 2014 - Flights to/from Milan Bergamo with a frequency of daily flights.
* From Sunday 26th October 2014 - Flights to/from Rome Ciampino with a frequency of daily flights.
* The promise of 260,000+ passengers brought to Crotone via these routes within the first 12 months.
* More than 260 jobs will be created/supported.
* Crotone becomes Ryanair's 24th operational Italian Airport.

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

PostPosted: August 1st, 2014, 7:18 am 

Thanks for this information.
Really great for us as we are only 30 mins away from Crotone airport.
Just hope times tie in with flights to and from Scotland as there are flights from Pisa, Bergamo and Ciampino to either Glasgow or Edinburgh.
I'll check it out and report back.
I'm sure your info will also benefit those living in N.I. and elsewhere.
mags

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2014, 6:58 am 

Mags,

My Pleasure. Fingers crossed on timings for connecting flights for all Celtic travellers.

Regards,

Mickey O

PostPosted: October 8th, 2016, 12:27 am 

ALMERIA - FINALLY some good news for Almeria Airport. Although Ryanair ceased operating its two international flights from El Alquian last Autumn without any explanation, they have now announced that flights to both Dusseldorf and London will be operating once again from March 27 and 29 respectively.
As reported in Euro-weekly.
Ryanair may not be your favourite carrier, but more alternatives into Almeria must be good news.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2016, 11:22 pm 

A bit of a swim from Almeria to Crotone ☺.
Still a shadow over the existing Ryanair routes continuing to this airport.
Also a rumour that the operator of Lamezia airport want to buy into/ invest in Crotone. Would increase routes from Crotone.
Anyone with info on this ?
Very handy airport to get through.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2016, 12:39 am 

crotone airport - translation from Gazetta del Sud. Was a very useful link !

Bankrupt company management, the airport closes tomorrow
31/10/2016
The decision of ENAC. No extension of provisional.
airport crotone

From tomorrow, November 1, Crotone airport will be closed. The decision was taken by ENAC when the receivership of the airport management company, "Sant'Anna spa" announced that it was not yet received any application for extension by the local authorities a week after provisional process deadline, set by the bankruptcy judge on 31 October. At this to remember to add the decision to Ryanair, which has been in continuous operation in the port of Crotone in 2014, initially with the flight to Pisa and then with those for Rome and Bergamo, to break links with the Calabrian port of call. The decision to close the airport of Crotone comes despite passenger movement data have recorded during 2015 a positive trend, with more than 270 thousand people passed through from the port of Crotone.
Disapproval and discomfort for the Crotone airport closure were expressed in the course of the extraordinary and open meeting of the City Council, held today and which was also attended by several mayors from the Ionian coast. At the conclusion of the session it was approved a document that expresses opposition to the closure of the airport. "With my personal, insistent and direct dialogue with the leaders of Ryanair - said the mayor of Crotone, Ugo Pugliese - I've had assurance that the company is willing to resume flights from the first of December. And, in this dialogue, I liked and appreciated the reaffirmation of an interest of the Irish operations in our territory. "

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 10:17 pm 

Dear All,

Ryanair has agreed to resume scheduled flight operations to the southern Italian city of Crotone and formally confirmed it would resume flights there as of June 2018.

The Irish LCC's decision to withdraw from Crotone Sant'Anna Airport in November 2016 ultimately resulted in the airfield's closure.

Initial announcements are:

a) A daily return flight operation to/from Milan Bergamo.
b) A 3 times weekly service to Pisa.

The official link: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... se-closure

Regards.

Mickey 'O'