A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 16th, 2011, 8:25 am 

Alitalia has launched cheap flights to and from the airports of Lamezia Terme, Reggio Calalabria and Crotone.
On the Fiumicino-Lamezia Terme route, Alitalia has increased the number of seats available at cheaper prices also for last minute bookings. Moreover, Alitalia has increased daily flights from 7 to 8 introducing on July 23rd an additional flight. On the Reggio Calabria route until August 4th there will be 11,000 seats available at 59 euros, one way from Rome, that can be bought up to 7 days before leaving until October 31st. For Crotone Alitalia is offering 1,100 seats at 74 euro. .

PostPosted: July 17th, 2011, 1:14 pm 

Hi

Am flying into rome fiumincino on the 31st August then onwards to Lamezia. Returning same way on the 20th September.

Have not yet booked with Alitalia - would you recommend waiting until the last minute to book.

At the moment the flight is working out at approx £230 for two return.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2011, 2:28 pm 

ryanair from Stansted to Lamezia direct would probably be cheaper or Monarch gatwick lamezia direct ,unless you want to stop In Rome? If Aliitaia do not reduce their fares everyone else by that time will be far more expensive too :(

PostPosted: July 17th, 2011, 2:38 pm 

ryanair one way 31 aug £37 , but I doubt if Alitalia will reduce fares any more as £115 per person return for 4 flights is already great value .

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 4:32 pm 

Just booked for end of July til mid August 2012. Just under £300 return for three people!! Only complication being we fly from Gatwick and return to Heathrow. However it's a huge cost saving compared with Ryanair for the same dates. Excellent flight times and no need for overnight stays either way. Fingers crossed the connections work out and our luggage arrives!

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2012, 12:17 am 

Kathryn wrote:
Just booked for end of July til mid August 2012. Just under £300 return for three people!! Only complication being we fly from Gatwick and return to Heathrow. However it's a huge cost saving compared with Ryanair for the same dates. Excellent flight times and no need for overnight stays either way. Fingers crossed the connections work out and our luggage arrives!

Kathryn is that via Rome - to Lamezia? With Alitalia?
thanks

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2012, 8:55 am 

It's Gatwick to Milan (Malpensa) and then Lamezia. The return is Lamezia to Milan (Linate) and then Heathrow.
I found it through Skyscanner.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2012, 11:42 am 

balance of thru flight but having to get to stansted, or convenience of gatwick and a change. are they charging for baggage? I understand ryanair are going to charge £50 a bag in high summer.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2012, 2:50 pm 

There were no additional costs and a baggage allowance of 23kg (hold) and 8kg (hand). No cost for using credit card. For us Gatwick and Heathrow is a shorter journey from home. You could also specify aisle or window seat and specify if you have dietary requirements.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2012, 9:59 pm 

Kathryn thanks for mentioning Skyscanner.
Have just booked thru Skyscanner for Easter flights from Gatwick via Milan to Lamezia and return same way. for 4 people (2 adults + 2 kids) for a total of £403.10 inc. credit card fee! Well chuffed - checked a while back and the basic price with Ryanair was £790 and that was without adding on a bit of luggage (as we tend to do), credit card bookings and all the other charges they bung on (which probably amounts to another £150 for us!).

Have also booked for August, from Heathrow via Milan on outbound and Rome on return and that was £469.12 inc everything for 2 adults + 2 kids. And just compared on Ryanair - £1066 for same dates (actually +1 day later so additional care hire cost to add in).

On both trips the connections are good. No overnight stays - and decent times for us. Ok - so not a direct flight but at least we don't have such a long journey from West country to Stansted and luggage allowance included...and seat bookings so no stress trying to sit together and a free snack.

And on Skyscanner there's loads of flight connections and permutations to suit everyones needs.

:D

Last edited by Chrissie on January 4th, 2012, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2012, 8:41 am 

Chrissie, glad the ifnormation was of use.
I used Skyscanner a couple of yerars ago when Ryanair withdrew the direct flights. It was very quick and easy to use. I was particularly happy that it then directed you through to the airline company for booking. Hope your trips go to plan.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2012, 5:50 pm 

I have just been looking at Alitalia flights from Heathrow to Lamezia Terme in July and they look very reasonably priced but on the outward journey, Heathrow to Milan Linate the connection time is only around 1 hour 30 mins. Can anyone tell me if this is sufficient time to connect from one flight to another at Linate airport please?

PostPosted: January 4th, 2012, 8:48 pm 

I certainly hope so! - some of our connections are only 1hr 5mins. We did wonder if it was cutting it a bit fine but I guess as they have sold it to us a 'journey' ie. it is all either outbound or inbound then I guess Alitalia allow for that.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2012, 12:23 pm 

I have flown, on my own, several times with Alitalia and it is not a problem. They look after your hold luggage and it is quite straight forward you just have to make sure you know where you are going as you do not need to recheck in. Linate is not that big an airport. If you are flying internally within Italy you are not an international departure. If you are flying to UK then you are.

If you are worried try to find someone who is on your plane who is doing the same as you. I usually find someone who will then point you in the correct direction. There is usually an information place to assist you if you are worried.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2012, 9:35 pm 

just a note to anyone flying lamezia via malpensa ,you have to get from one terminal to another to catch your connection,there is a shuttle bus outside the terminal. it only takes a few minutes but if its your first time it can be a bit of a nuisance.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2012, 7:05 pm 

Hi All. We have used Alitalia several times. I usually try to have a minimum of 1.30 hrs stopover time to allow to get from arrival to departure gates, especially in Rome. However Alitalia are very good at rebooking on a later flight, with no quibbles, should you miss the connection. They still have a habit of running a bit late on occasions.Biggest problem with short stopover times is luggage not getting transfered to second flight as it has to go back into terminal for security check and then onto forward flight, report it missing on arrival at destination and alitalia will courier it to you usally the next day. Happened to us once. We try to travel without hold baggage these days so short stopovers are not such a problem. I try to make it happen as the shops in the airports at both rome and milan are a magnet to senior management. All told we have been very happy with Alitalia.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 10:46 pm 

ALITALIA... WOW - Have just booked return flights from London Heathrow to Lamezia-via rome with AlItalia end of June /July return for an incredible £248.00 for 2 people!! includes baggage.... Same dates on Ryan air site was going to cost £479 with a check in bag each! Just watch the transfer times - usually fco or Milan range from overall journey 4 to 11 hours!!
Check it out .....

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 10:50 pm 

Sorry .I forgot to say I did it through SKYSCANNER site .. checking on Alitalia site prices were not as good!

PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 8:14 pm 

I bought my flights (see above) thru Skyscanner for Alitalia but I also checked the Alitalia website for exactly the same flights and the price was exactly the same...after a bit of hunting around.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2012, 1:47 pm 

We've just booked for May with Alitalia, Heathrow to Bari via Milano €114!!! (return).

PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 1:41 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Today I booked 4 return tickets for £415.60 that's only £103.90 pp
My itinerary is as follows :-
LGW etd 1010 -SUF eta 1925 via MXP. stop over 4h 30m, journey time 8h15m.
SUF etd 0925 - LHR eta 1800 via LIN stop over 5h45m, journey time 9h35m.
We decided this schedule as
1. It is easier for my brother coming from Newport to get to Gatwick and to get home from Heathrow on a coach.
2. Free luggage allowance of 23 kg pp.
3. Saving of £150 on the 4 tickets compared to Ryanair for the same dates.
Ryanair cost £141.40 pp without hold baggage card fees.
This saving equates to half of the 2 week car rental which cost £305 for a Fiat Grande Punto.
4. No stress rushing to catch on-going flight and sufficient time for luggage to be transferred to the next flight.
5. Reserved seating on aircraft in advance if done on line.
6. The etd and eta times are very acceptable.

I found these flights via the Skyscanner / Alitalia websites and there was quite a large choice of flights to choose from at low prices. The lowest I saw was £95.85 for a return trip.
I was diverted from the website to Opodo to purchase these flights.
Long may Alitalia keep these flights and prices going. It should give Ryanair a run for its money as their prices and charges are increasing all the time.
The annoying thing is that I have purchased a Ryanair Passport Prepaid card a week ago and loaded it with £150!

I anticipate that I will use it for my September trip.
Anyone know the dates for the 2012 Tropea Blues Festival ?
davidnam

PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 11:05 pm 

Its good to see Ryanair have some real competition can only be good for the consumer.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2012, 12:25 am 

Just bought my tickets to Lamezia for September and booked again on Skyscanner LHR - LIN - SUF & SUF - LIN - LHR. Just a few hours wait at LIN to ensure baggage gets transferred and time for us to get to the connecting flights via immigration security etc. Heathrow so easy for us living in north London, Piccadily Line straight through to LHR in an hour and 15 mins.
Alitalia price for 3 adults and 1 child (just over 2 years) £439. Ryanair for same dates £685, a £246 saving that will pay for car hire for the 11 days.
The fare cost for the 4 tickets on Alitalia was about £50, the balance of £389 was airport taxes including a £6 Distribution charge whatever that is.
I just hope that the Blues Festival is on when I am there and I will have to withdraw most of the £150 I loaded on to my Ryanair Passport card !!
davidnam

PostPosted: February 8th, 2012, 11:10 am 

Good to other airlines can compete with Ryanair .

PostPosted: February 14th, 2012, 1:04 pm 

GREAT TO SEE CHEAP FLIGHTS TO CALABRIA AT LAST :D

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 7:09 pm 

GRGGHHH. Further to my posting previously about wonderfully cheap flights with Alitalia in April (4-14th) from Gatwick to Lamezia, I received an email from Lastminute.com yesterday to say that there was a schedule change. (I had used Skyscanner but the actual booking was through lastminute).

Basically the flights I booked were no longer available and I was offered Lamezia to Milan a day earlier (on the 13th) but in the evening, with an overnight stop over and then the onward flight to Gatwick first thing the following morning (14th). :evil:

I told lastminute this was not acceptable and they have now offered a flight from Lamezia to Milan Linate and then Milan Malpensa to Gatwick. Not happy. Visions of lost luggage. Lengthy waits. Extra cost.

Has anyone else experienced changes to their wonderful cheap flights or by Alitalia in general?

I did revisit Skyscanner and they were still taking bookings for the original flights I booked but on closer inspection of Alitalia website I am being told there are no flights +/3 days.

I have made a further suggestion to lastminute and am waiting on their response - fingers crossed!!

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 9:21 pm 

Chrissie
I don't think Alitalia fly from Gatwick at all? Have a good check you may be chasing ghosts! Sorry.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2012, 8:07 am 

Alitalia don't fly from Gatwick at all and you will need to go to Heathrow, as changing from the 2 Milan airports sounds harassing and not advisable. If you are going into Gatwick it will be with Easyjet I suspect. I live close to Gatwick and use Heathrow with Alitalia. I would check which airline they are proposing.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2012, 5:02 pm 

Hi AllenC, Margomac & Chrissie,
There are still a small number of flights by Alitalia from LGW.
You will have to check different dates presumably due to what has been or not been booked and the way that Alitalia switch flights to save money!
About 4 weeks ago when I booked flights to SUF on Skyscanner there were quite a number of flights from LGW and less from LHR. Now it's the other way around when I just checked!
I booked a flight at that time using Skyscanner / Lastminute.com for 9/9/12 LGW-MXP-SUF returning 16/9/12 SUF-LIN-LHR.
I have received a notification from Lastminute.com that the return flight on the 16/9/12 has been changed by Alitalia from 1940 ETD LIN to 1855. The reason that the later flight was booked was to have a little more time to connect to the LHR flight but they have assured me (after I asked them) that Alitalia have said that the one hour is sufficient to catch the connection.
davidnam

PostPosted: March 1st, 2012, 11:08 am 

Davidnam,
I have flights booked with Alitalia in July with a window of just over one hour on the outward flight. Do you know if we have to go through customs when joining the connecting flight. I have been told that we do not and that we simply go straight to boarding.
Any advise would be much apprciated.
Thanks
Gailmore

PostPosted: March 1st, 2012, 6:12 pm 

Hi Gailmore,
The flights that I have booked on Alitalia this year are the first since 2009.
I flew via Bergamo at that time and had to go through immigration and then through Security with my hand luggage. My hold luggage was transferred to my ongoing flight and was there when we arrived in Lamezia.
I am surprised that you have been told you can go direct to the next flight, maybe in some major airports they direct you to the onward flight as being in 'Transit', so as passengers you don't transverse through immigration so technically you are not in 'Italy' until you arrive in Lamezia.
I was assured that the one hour gap between flights at Linate is sufficient but I would still speak to the Purser on the aircraft to tell them of your onward connection.
Hope this helps.
davidnam

Last edited by davidnam on March 1st, 2012, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2012, 6:28 pm 

Does anyone know if there is a bus service between Milan Linate and Milan Malpensa and how long it takes?

Also, if Alitalia sell you a flight (ie. Lamezia-MilanLinate-MilanMalpensa-Gatwick) do they transfer luggage for you ie. from Lamezia to Milan Linate to Milan Malpensa then to Gatwick. Or would you have to pick up your luggage at the one Milan airport and then lug it across town to the other airport yourself??

I will ask lastminute/check with Alitalia but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience of this.
thanks
Chrissie

Last edited by Chrissie on March 1st, 2012, 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2012, 7:17 pm 

Hi Chrissie,
I cannot help you about buses between Linate and Malpensa. Why would you do this?
As I said in my post above, when I flew via Bergamo I checked my luggage in at London and picked it up at Lamezia with no problems.
This is the reason that I have booked flights with at least a couple of hours in between the flights so the luggage can get transferred. I have heard of various people 'losing' their luggage and Alitalia delivered it when it turned up a day or two later!
davidnam

PostPosted: March 1st, 2012, 11:30 pm 

davidnam wrote:
Hi Chrissie,
I cannot help you about buses between Linate and Malpensa. Why would you do this?
As I said in my post above, when I flew via Bergamo I checked my luggage in at London and picked it up at Lamezia with no problems.
This is the reason that I have booked flights with at least a couple of hours in between the flights so the luggage can get transferred. I have heard of various people 'losing' their luggage and Alitalia delivered it when it turned up a day or two later!
davidnam

David hi. the reason that I asked about buses between Linate and Malpensa is because due to a schedule change it seems we can no longer fly from Lamezia to Milan Malpensa then on to Gatwick from Malpensa. Outbound is not a problem, we are changing at Malpensa. But on the return journey, because of the schedule change, they are now offering us Lamezia to Milan (Linate) and then pick up the flight to Gatwick from Milan (Malpensa) about 6 hours later ie. it seems we can no longer get into Malpensa and out of Malpensa flying from Lamezia. (the original change they suggested involved cutting short our holiday by a day and an overnight stay in Milan - which we really can't afford to do).

I asked if we could change airports and fly to and from Heathrow as there seemed to be several flights available but because the outbound schedule has not changed there would be penalties and costs involved to change departure airport.

It's not the end of the world if we have to fly into one Milanese airport and out of another - it's just annoying because we booked our flights several months in advance in order to choose dates and times to suit us (and because they were cheap!!). If Alitalia transfer our luggage from Linate to Malpensa at least it means we won't have to lug them around and we can pop into Milan for lunch or something...but it's a pain in the wotsit if we have to lug cases (and 2 young children) around.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 7:52 am 

http://www.gatwickairport.com/flights/destinations/
Hi Chrissie
Please check the above link from Gatwick Airport, scroll down to Milan and you will see the only airlines to fly from Milan to Gatwick are Easyjet and Monarch. If you also check Alitalia's website you will see that no flights go in or out of Gatwick. If you decide to change from one Milan airport to another, you will no doubt have to take you luggage with you.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 11:11 am 

Can anyone help with advise on how easy it is to get from terminal 1 to terminal 3 at Rome Fumincino Airport. We are flying from Lamezia Terme to Fumincino (terminal 1) but I believe our flight from Fumincino to Heathrow leaves from terminal 3. We only have a window of 1 hour and 5 minutes so I am a bit concerned that we will miss our connecting flight.
Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks
Gailmore

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 11:26 am 

Hi Gailmore

A lot depends on who your flight is with, but generally 1Hour 5minutes would not be enough time to get your luggage transferred from one plane to another. I have done the journey with Alitalia, and although we got the flight, our luggage did not. It sounds as if your journey is on the way home, so they will just deliver your luggage to you when it arrives. The only problem is you have to fill out forms etc. if the luggage is not on board which is a bit time consuming.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 12:23 pm 

I can't remember who it was we flew with from Lamezia to Fumincino, but although the flight was on time it took over an hour for our luggage to arrive. We missed our BA flight to Heathrow and had to get a later one to Gatwick or vice versa This was October 2009 so have forgotten details just remember having to pay for flight then pay for hotel in London as we had missed the last flight to Glasgow. Sorry to be bearer of bad news but if you just have hand luggage it would be a different story.
mags

ps just re read earlier posts and if you are checking in luggage at Lamezia to go through to London you wont have the problem of standing waiting for it to come.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 3:07 pm 

Margomac wrote:
http://www.gatwickairport.com/flights/destinations/
Hi Chrissie
Please check the above link from Gatwick Airport, scroll down to Milan and you will see the only airlines to fly from Milan to Gatwick are Easyjet and Monarch. If you also check Alitalia's website you will see that no flights go in or out of Gatwick. If you decide to change from one Milan airport to another, you will no doubt have to take you luggage with you.

Margomac - thanks for the link. I double checked the Alitalia website and there are definitely 2 flights per day from Milan Malpensa to Gatwick during April - HOWEVER they are code shared with Air One, so I guess that's probably why they don't appear under Alitalia. The flight is AZ7972 leaving Malpensa at 18.55, the other one leaves at 08.35.

I did just follow your link (very useful webpage) and there is no mention of Air One either ... so I am even more confused now. However, I am assuming that if they are offering a flight it must exist (or am I being hopelessly optimistic). Perhaps it's a triple code share and is registered under another airline!!!

I am waiting to hear what lastminute say about whether Alitalia carry the luggage from Lamezia to Gatwick and sort out all the Milan changes AND whether they provide a free shuttle bus between the two Milan airports.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 4:50 pm 

Thanks everyone for the advise re our short window for connecting flight at Rome Fumincino back to Heathrow. We are flying with Alitalia and from what you have told me we should be okay as we only have hand luggage. Still a bit concerned that we need to transfer from terminal 1 to terminal 3 with only a window of 1 hour and 5 mins. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed we are on time.
Does anyone know if we need to get on a bus to transfer from terminal 1 to terminal 3 at Fumincino or can we walk?
Thanks
Gailmore

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 5:50 pm 

Hi Gail. Have used Alitalia via Rome Fumincino several times. As you have only cabin luggage it should not be a problem. You walk between terminals, all under cover, and you do have to go through security and show passport. The walk is about 15mins and passes lots of upmarket shops so you have to resist the temptation :-) Should you be delayed do not fret too much as Alitalia are brilliant at putting you on the next available flight.
I prefer to pick the flights through Milan as the transit from one flight to the next is much quicker and easier. Alitalia have always served us well. Hope all goes well for your trip, enjoy.
Allen

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 6:24 pm 

Thank you Alan that's very reassuring.
Cheers
Gailmore

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 11:15 pm 

anyone changing at milan malpensa to another terminal,just walk outside the terminal and there is a bus stop to take you to the other terminal,and as far as i remember its a free service.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2012, 8:04 pm 

Gailmore
I stand to be corrected on this but the last time i used FCO coming back up from Lamezia and arriving at FC0 i found by accident connecting flight stairs which brought us within 3 mins after alighting off the bus from the plane, to the departures for all other flights, thus avoiding having to go through customs and all that. We of course also only had hand luggage and our printed boarding passes for the connecting flight. It was absolutely brilliant

PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 7:11 am 

You would not need to go through customs from Lamezia to Rome as this is an internal flight only.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 3:52 pm 

Hi

We have just returned to Lamezia from FCO via terminal 1, having landed at terminal 3 from Istanbul. All of the terminals are joined and you just have to walk from one terminal to another which we did in 5 minutes. If you are a transit passenger, as you are, when you get off the plane look for the signs for transit passengers rather than baggage claim, as this will take you to the other terminal without having to go through passport control / luggage claim etc.

Really not a problem getting between the 2 and security was quite fast in both terminals.

Sue

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 6:28 am 

Nice to know that there are still affordable flights around

PostPosted: June 16th, 2012, 9:15 pm 

When Flying London Heathrow to Lamezia via Rome FCO- With AlItalia, Can anyone confirm that luggage goes straight through please? and is Baggage allowance 20kg,Have been looking on website but cant find any baggage allowance -flying economy. Only paid £250 return for 2! Next flights with Ryanair in Sept. are costing over £100 more and thats just with 1 case.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2012, 9:44 pm 

I have long been a fan of Ryanair, but this time round they were twice the price Dublin , Stanstead or Milan and on to Lamezia than Aer Lingus Dublin Catania direct. Bit of a drive but what the heck.
Cheap flights thing of the past me thinks.
Grumpy

PostPosted: June 17th, 2012, 5:32 am 

Gary,
The luggage does go straight through and you simply deposit your cases in Heathrow and collect in Lamezia. The standard allowance is 1 case of 23 kilos per passenger. Our last trip in May was faultless, with a complmentary alcoholic beverage on the evening flight from Milan to Heathrow.