A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tried Napoli + a train?
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 5:00 pm 
Ryanair have suspended direct flights to Lamezia in the past before they reintroduced them again 3yrs ago. I've often taken a flight to Napoli with Easyjet or BA and then the train to Lamezia Centrali or Vibo-Pizzo. Faster trains are only 3hrs.
There's a left luggage dept. at Napoli if you want to wander around before your train (get your tickets first). Car rental from Lamezia Airport is cheaper than the train station or there is a slow train to Tropea from Lamezia Centrali, but not frequent-you need a good book!
The flight connecting time at Pisa to Lamezia with Ryanair is very tight at the moment & I wouldn't want to rely on it.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 8:04 pm 

Hi Rick
We're trying this route next Monday, should've gone on 19th April but everything cancelled due to volcano situation.
Do you pre book train tickets or just do it when you arrive at station? I have got a timetable off Tranitalia website. Any suggestions or reccomendation would be gratefully received
Thanks
Gary & Wendy

PostPosted: May 4th, 2010, 3:04 pm 

hello :D
After booking trains in advance and having our flights delayed and therefore losing our funds as a result. We found it easier to download a trenitalia timetable and buy our tickets at the train station upon arriving in naples.
Except at xmas and in August it is very rare to find that the train of your choosing is sold out.
L

PostPosted: May 7th, 2010, 10:08 pm 

Have used the train system in Italy many a time but didn't realise you could download the timetable! Was that on the English version or the Italian version? What am I looking for?

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 11:56 am 

Hi,
I am flying to Naples from Liverpool with wife and three kids on May 31.
It gets to Naples around 1pm-ish.
I then intend to get the train from Naples to Lamezia. There is one problem with this plan - I am a certified halfwit.
Can someone give me an idiot's guide - for me, the missus, and my idiot three kids - to what I should do the moment I leave Naples airport, apart from lie in the corner like a gibbering wreck.
I am looking for advice on how to get from airport to train station (bus, taxi etc?) and where I can hail them from.
What I am really anxious about, though, is what to do at Naples station. Do I book a ticket in advance (please say no, because I have looked at trenitalia.com and realised that 'halfwit' is overstating my intelligence by 50 per cent)? In the distant past I also remember something about authenticating train tickets once they have been bought. Does this still apply in Italy?
Will I have to worry about train being fully booked (again, please say no because the missus has warned me about this for weeks and I have studiously ignored her).
Please reply to halfwit.com

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 2:14 pm 

hello !
Google trenitalia home page then choose schedule and purchase, choose your destination and print it. It is all in english and very user friendly there are many trains that pass along the coast avery hour or so. Do not buy your tickets ahead of time as if flights are delayed you lose your funds and there are many trains to choose from during the day.If the language is an issue show the ticketing agent your printed train schedule and point to the desried train. Some even speak english but do not count on it!
Good luck :D
L

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 2:48 pm 
There is a Bus outside the airport that will leave you at the train station. Look for train to calabria .

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 3:14 pm 

The bus from Naples airport is right outside the exit. One every 20 mins. It is red and called the Alibus. It only stops at a couple of stops. It is cheap (3 euros)and basically drives round Garibauldi Square (think that is how to spell it) and stops right outside the station (think it is the 2nd stop) then back to the airport. You buy the ticket on the bus and as you walk away there is a ticket stamping machine. If you look at the ticket it has a large arrow on and this is the way you put the ticket in. It stamps the back of the card.

Not used the train station but am sure someone else will advise you further.

:)

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 8:56 pm 

You are saying you buy your ticket on the bus and as you walk away you get it stamped. Dont understand, where would you be walking if you are on the bus. I thought it was only train tickets you had to get stamped.

We are hoping to do the same journey at end of June. I believe it is easy to get the bus from the airport to station, we did it at Rome and it was easy-peasy.

Don't worry, it will be easier than you think.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 9:08 pm 

you validate your ticket on the bus. Just past or by the driver is a machine (usually yellow) put in the ticket & it stamps date & time.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 2:16 pm 

If I decide on the train from Naples to Lamezia (not travelled since direct flights stopped!) I will be travelling with 2 children, 9 and 7...does anyone know train ticket prices for children as on the website it mentions adult ticket prices.

:shock: :?