A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AirItalia flights
PostPosted: May 1st, 2010, 10:38 am 

Has anyone travelled Heathrow to Lamezia stopping via Milan Linate with AirItalia? I have just booked flights and they have given me 45 minutes turnaround to get off one plane, go through security and board another plane. I think this is not enough time but they have assured me that its possible. Has anyone managed to do this route and if so what is the proceedure? any advice would be gratefully received thanks

Post subject: Re: AirItalia flights
PostPosted: May 1st, 2010, 6:29 pm 

I did this route last year with no problem. We landed in Milan on time and then could not get up to the walk way. Eventually they got steps and a bus for us and by this time there was only 10 minutes to our flight!!!!!! I need not have worried, because they used the same aircraft for the Milan - Lamezia journey. I was told also that Alitalia at Heathrow will not book you in for the whole journey unless they are confident you can get the next flight. You will get both boarding passes at Heathrow and as it is a small airport, it only takes minutes to get round and back again. All bags also arrived at the same time. Good luck.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2010, 5:28 pm 

many thanks for your reply-that has made feel feel easier about the process. I still think its a rush but Air Italia words to me were "no problem, dont worry" (Thats Italy for you). I think us Brits are used to more time rather than rushing about but if the system works thats great for us. We leave Heathrow at 06.50am and arrive Lamezia 12.25pm which isnt bad and thankfully no 4 hour driving the other end. The cost was £260 each return but it did include 20kg luggage and is in peak August so didnt think that was too bad.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2010, 7:36 pm 

Just to check, is this Alitalia or Air Italia (which I think is a Lauda company)?

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2010, 8:07 pm 

We did same route last year. We had a slight delay at Heathrow so were never going to make the connecting flight. When we checked in at Heathrow they told us this and checked us onto the later flight from Milan which was only about an hour later anyway. Its a connecting flight, so your cases etc are loaded onto the next flight, therefore if they are late on the first one you will be automatically rescheduled onto the next available flight.
Unlike Ryan air, who it seems take great delight in making you buy a whole new flight if you miss your second leg. Even if the reason you missed it was their fault.
PS - This was Alitalia, not Air Italia

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 10:11 am 

Sorry I did mean Alitalia-thanks

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 11:00 pm 

We did this route last month. It was the first time for us and we also were worried that we would not have enough time but they assured us it would be fine. It was. As it is only a small airport it does not take long to get from arrivals to departures. On our return journey we were late arriving at Milan but they had one of their staff waiting for those of us who were catching the connecting flight to London and they took us directly to departures so we didn't have to go through security and had no problem getting our flight. I would definately take this flight again and found Alitalia very helpful. We were stuck out there due to the volcano eruption and they were very good getting us on to another flight back home.