A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 14th, 2010, 8:08 am 
Hi,
The following is just a rough guide,
Budget on around about, an hour to get to ferry at Messina, 20-30min wait for ferry (inc getting ticket, bear in mind if after 10pm they run every hour not every 25-30 mins as in the day time, also you have two ferry companies to choice from and prices arnt bad.) approx,35mins on the ferry, then approx 1.45-2 hrs up to Tropea, maybe less, depedent on route and where in the Tropea area you go.

Now ive said that others may dissagree and say "Oh you can do this or that" but as a ball park, its not to far out, also depends on what your right foot is like :lol:

M

PostPosted: May 14th, 2010, 10:08 am 

Thank you Guest for your help.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2010, 3:41 pm 
Is there a Bus or train from Catania airport to Messina

PostPosted: May 14th, 2010, 6:19 pm 

where are you flying from/to Catania and which ariline? this may be of interest to me

PostPosted: May 14th, 2010, 9:37 pm 

Guest is accurate. Flights three times a week Aer Lingus Dublin - Catania.
There is public transport at both terminals [Messina and San Giovanni]. Should not be a major problem training it to Tropea or indeed the Ionian coast from Catania.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2010, 12:12 pm 

Any ideas for a hotel in Catania near the rail station?.
Also the easiest way to the centre from the airport.[public trans.]----
later...................
ok. Got the hotel and you could [nearly] walk from the airport to the centre.
Not too many trains to Messina on Sundays. Trying the bus companies now.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2010, 11:22 pm 

Hi Grumpy

Could you please let us have your feedback on how you get on with train/bus routes from Catania to Messina.

I drove but it was an absolutely horrible experience that I would rather avoid in future.

Enjoy your trip!

Pogson

PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 10:20 am 

pogson wrote:
Hi Grumpy

Could you please let us have your feedback on how you get on with train/bus routes from Catania to Messina.

I drove but it was an absolutely horrible experience that I would rather avoid in future.

Enjoy your trip!

Pogson

Hi we are driving from Trapani upto Isca in August is it really bad?

PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 1:17 pm 
Hi

New guest here. Driving from Napoli to tropea later in the year. Looks to be 80% motorway so assuming i can do the 260ish miles in 4 ish hours. All the route finders say 5 to 5 and a half though. Has anyone done this? How long did it take? I will be driving from napoli to tropea starting at 8pm on a sunday and the return will need to be at airport for 9am on a tuesday. WOuld be grateful for some estimates. Thanks

GuestX

PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 6:26 pm 

sueb wrote:
pogson wrote:
Hi Grumpy

Hi we are driving from Trapani upto Isca in August is it really bad?

Hi Sue

We took this journey from Trapani to the east coast end of March and although the drive is long circa 5-6 hours including ferry the scenery is fantastic and if you can pull of the side of the road to take some pics it is well worth it !!

Most of the driving is on a motorway/Toll road but be careful to make sure you have enough petrol in the tank as not many petrol stations and most of these are of the main road so you wizz by them,just keep your tank topped up !!!

On another note there are lots of tunnels in fact we counted around 98 between Trapania and where we stayed !!

Also my advice dont get a return ferry ticket in case like us you end up in a queue which is then on a different ferry company to the one you went on !

Hope its not put you off

The cobbler

PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 9:26 pm 

Since the direct flights from Stansted to Lamezia have stopped, we drive down to Marinella di Pizzo from Napoli, approximately 5 1/2 hours but we do allow ourselves 3 stops, 1 for food and drink, 1 for a 20 minute nap and 1 for drink refreshment and comfort stop. The facilities at the service stations are good and toilet facilities are very clean The vistas are spectacular on the journey, there are usually a few driving maniacs but it is a good journey down. On the return journey we always arrive at the airport with 2 hours to flight departure. If your return flight is early in the day it might be worth considering driving up the night before and staying in a hotel close to the airport.
Hope the info helps
grandmasue

PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 10:32 pm 

Ok, first I have driven from Catania to Messina [approx. 1 hour]. The signposting is not very clear leaving the airport and you have to follow the signs for Enna/Palermo until you get on the motorway. Then You take possibly the first or second turn off it, but at this point there is a sign for Messina and possibly Taormina . After that its plain sailing. You take the third turn off for Messina [centro]. The first two won't do--- I know.
There are only two ferry companies that I saw at Messina so hard to mix them up. I think I paid about €40 return. The ticket seller said it didn't matter how many heads. [Caronte & Tourist]
I have yet to hear back from the bus companies, but will keep you posted.
I think there are plenty of trains except on Sundays but this you will have to check.
If driving you should really stop at Taormina . Spectacular from the top.
The trip from Trapani is about 4 hours to the ferry at Messina. I did this a few years ago and my flight arrived in late evening. So I did the hour to Palermo and stayed the night. Should have stayed longer. Will have to go back. Busy city traffic wise. About 3 hours on to the ferry. [motorway]
I think I will join the Italian tourist board !
A dopo

PostPosted: June 1st, 2010, 10:00 am 

Guest wrote:
Hi

New guest here. Driving from Napoli to tropea later in the year. Looks to be 80% motorway so assuming i can do the 260ish miles in 4 ish hours. All the route finders say 5 to 5 and a half though. Has anyone done this? How long did it take? I will be driving from napoli to tropea starting at 8pm on a sunday and the return will need to be at airport for 9am on a tuesday. WOuld be grateful for some estimates. Thanks

GuestX

Just got back and completed this journey,allow 6 hrs as there is a lot of roadworks all along this route,
lots of switching lanes and be careful in the dark as it not that well signed,Good Luck

PostPosted: June 1st, 2010, 1:33 pm 

I will be travelling down early July from Napoli to the east coast (Rocella). The thought of dealing with wifenav and warring teenagers on a 6 hour drive (10 if wifenav is used) fills me with dread. Can anyone recommend an overnight stop enroute to break the journey up?
Somewhere with a nice pool and a friendly bar would be high on my list...

Many thanks in anticipation..

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2010, 12:52 pm 
Just arrived back from Calabria ,We got a bus from Naples to Serrento cost 10 euros, stayed in serrento 1 night ,next day got the bus to Amalfi coast ,breathtaking scenery, had lunch and stayed for three hours then got the bus to Salerno . cost of bus ticket 8 euros , got the train from Salerno to lamezia 25 euro, and hired a car at lamezia .The bus for Serrento is outside main doar of the airport.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2010, 9:07 pm 

Guidance appreciated.
I'm currently looking to fly to Calabria from Belfast in July. Although not particularly cheap, best option I can find so far seems to be:
Belfast to Birmingham, leaving at 7am, arriving 8.05, Flybe
Birmigham to Milan, leaving 10.05, arriving 13.10, Flybe
Milan to Lamezia, leaving 16.55, arriving 18.40, Easyjet

Returning times arent bad either.

I'd appreciate if any other NI travellers had alternative suggestions.
Tried Aer Lingus to Rome, but none of the connections on same day seem to work.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2010, 9:14 pm 

hi,

you could look at aer lingus from dublin to catania and drive using ferry from messina,

time and cost may compare,

regards,

mikec

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2010, 10:10 pm 

I have booked in July,
Belfast 14.50 to Rome 18.55
Rome 20.05 to Lamezia 21.15

Have also did this in April doesn't seem much time between flights but the terminal change is only a 5min walk and i was in good time.
No time for delays though but it worked and hopefully it will in July.
Only thing it's alittle expensive in July.

The flight home is much better time ways.

Barney

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2010, 3:12 pm 

Guest wrote:
Just arrived back from Calabria ,We got a bus from Naples to Serrento cost 10 euros, stayed in serrento 1 night ,next day got the bus to Amalfi coast ,breathtaking scenery, had lunch and stayed for three hours then got the bus to Salerno . cost of bus ticket 8 euros , got the train from Salerno to lamezia 25 euro, and hired a car at lamezia .The bus for Serrento is outside main doar of the airport.

how long was the train journey from salerno to lamezia? and was it a slow or fast train -thanks

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2010, 3:59 pm 

Barneyjoe
Thanks for the steer. There also seems to be a slightly later flight from Rome to Lamezia, so that could be a safer bet.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2010, 7:46 pm 
Pamela the train from Salerno to lamezia two half hours there is a faster train, it takes 2 hours

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2010, 9:51 pm 
Barney

Can you let us know who to fly with Belfast - Rome and Rome - Lamezia. Many thanks

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2010, 10:30 pm 
Blue express fly from Rome to Lamezia at 11.10 .and Easyjet leave Rome for lamezia 5 o clock week days

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2010, 10:30 pm 

Belfast to Rome Aer Lingus (April to November i think)

Rome to Lamezia Alitalia

PostPosted: June 4th, 2010, 4:31 pm 
Another question about the naples to tropea drive. Lots of people suggesting delays due to the roadworkd on the A3 autostrada salerno-reggio calabria. questions:

are these the only road works to be concerned about.

Are they located in one particular area of the A3 (i did an internet search and it looked like they were only in the southern part, not sure if this is correct)

are they on the northbound/southbound/both sides of the autostrada

If they are only in the southern part, will it make a big difference if i am driving through this area at 11pm/midnight on the way down and 4am/5am on the way up?

Making massive assumption that someone has hugely detailed knowledge on this so apologies if not. Thanks in advance

PostPosted: June 4th, 2010, 5:56 pm 

We've driven the naples to calabria route a couple of times now - best time has been 3 hours... :D

The roadworks are mainly further South but it's not just a question of roadworks in the conventional sense in some parts there really are only two lanes for both directions and they look like they are many years off finishing some of those tunnels - hence although it's a motorway it's not really and if you get stuck behind a truck or something slow on a windy one lane road well you can imagine you're not doing motorway speeds.

Although it may be a bit quicker with less traffic you definitely need to go slower on some of the worse bits at night as they're not quite the same as UK motorways. We've done both ways in dark and daylight and at unsociable/sociable hours and no massive difference noted in the timings.

Because most of the places there are roadworks it's because there isn't a tunnel/bridge or a landslide has shut one side or the other it tends to effect both ways rather than just north or southbound.

Having said that it's still fantastic scenery but quite a long/hard-drive. It does always seem to be slightly quicker on the way back but I think that's slightly pyschological (plus we've always been to ikea on the way there which generally lengthens my day :( ).

We're trying the Trapani route this summer so we'll see which is better as from the NW they're the only two sensible "direct" routes.

Thanks

Liz

PostPosted: June 4th, 2010, 7:07 pm 
Hi Liz

Just wondered how you managed to do it in 3 hours and what part of Calabria it was. We drove from Rome to Salerno yesterday and it took about 2.5 hours, today we have driven from Salerno to Rocella left at 7.40am and arrived at 12.40 that included a 20 min snack break and then about 7 min petrol fill up and toilet break. We drove approx 60-70 most of the way. The only tolls we encountered was €13.5 from Rome to Salerno. If anyone is thinking of stopping in Salerno it's not that nice and not much there. Petrol here at the moment is €1.39 a ltr. :)

PostPosted: June 5th, 2010, 7:21 am 

hi,has anyone drove from bari,on aa route planner it seems a similar time and distance,cheers brian.sorry meant to insert as naples.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2010, 7:23 pm 
Hi All

Im in Rocella at the moment and was invited in to have a drink with a nice English couple at Amusa Mare, they drove down from Barri a few days ago said it took them approx 4.5 hrs and Barri not that nice.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 9:41 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
I am flying to Bergamo Tusday 8/6 and will be in Bergamo for 6+ hours before my connection to Lamezia.
Back in April you posted information on Bergamo airport.
Can anyone advise directions at the airport for the baggage deposit and where does the bus go from at the airport.
Thanks,
David Nam

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 10:38 am 

Hi All

For those of you still looking for a direct flight to Lamezia here is a flight from Stanstead to Lamezia running till 27th October,

http://www.airberlin.com/site/start.php ... g&MARKT=GB

Hope it helps those who haven't yet booked.

Cheers Diane

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 11:26 am 

Diane,

I had a look at the site but it does'nt appear to be a direct one from London, it is via Nuremberg.

Rgds,

Berni

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 11:47 am 

bernied wrote:
Diane,

I had a look at the site but it does'nt appear to be a direct one from London, it is via Nuremberg.

Rgds,

Berni

I also checked this out and couldn't believe the cost. Return flight for 2 adults and 1 child end of July approx. £1,500.00. Did I get this wrong? Hope so.
Angela.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 11:47 am 
Bernie your right sorry folks i should of checked the flights

cheers Diane

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 8:52 pm 

davidnam wrote:
I am flying to Bergamo Tusday 8/6 and will be in Bergamo for 6+ hours before my connection to Lamezia.
Back in April you posted information on Bergamo airport.
Can anyone advise directions at the airport for the baggage deposit and where does the bus go from at the airport.
Thanks,
David Nam

Hi David,
You have to have your luggage security cleared before you go through the arrivals. They exray your bags and seal them. Then just outside arrivals there is a baggage deposit. Just outside the airport are all the buses. They go to Milan and Bergamo and dont forget the large shopping center right accross from the airport in walking distance, you could kill a few hours in there easy.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 4:03 pm 

[quote="Guest"]Hi Liz

Just wondered how you managed to do it in 3 hours and what part of Calabria it was. We drove from Rome to Salerno yesterday and it took about 2.5 hours, today we have driven from Salerno to Rocella left at 7.40am and arrived at 12.40 that included a 20 min snack break and then about 7 min petrol fill up and toilet break. We drove approx 60-70 most of the way. The only tolls we encountered was €13.5 from Rome to Salerno. If anyone is thinking of stopping in Salerno it's not that nice and not much there. Petrol here at the moment is €1.39 a ltr. :)
Can you confirm it was only 21/2 hours driving from rome to salerno?

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 10:24 pm 

Liz666 wrote:
We've driven the naples to calabria route a couple of times now - best time has been 3 hours... :D

The roadworks are mainly further South but it's not just a question of roadworks in the conventional sense in some parts there really are only two lanes for both directions and they look like they are many years off finishing some of those tunnels - hence although it's a motorway it's not really and if you get stuck behind a truck or something slow on a windy one lane road well you can imagine you're not doing motorway speeds.

Although it may be a bit quicker with less traffic you definitely need to go slower on some of the worse bits at night as they're not quite the same as UK motorways. We've done both ways in dark and daylight and at unsociable/sociable hours and no massive difference noted in the timings.

Because most of the places there are roadworks it's because there isn't a tunnel/bridge or a landslide has shut one side or the other it tends to effect both ways rather than just north or southbound.

Having said that it's still fantastic scenery but quite a long/hard-drive. It does always seem to be slightly quicker on the way back but I think that's slightly pyschological (plus we've always been to ikea on the way there which generally lengthens my day :( ).

We're trying the Trapani route this summer so we'll see which is better as from the NW they're the only two sensible "direct" routes.

Thanks

Liz

PostPosted: June 14th, 2010, 5:30 pm 

Hello,

Sorry haven't been on in a while. Our quickest (3 hour run) was from Falerna Marina (so reasonably North) to the airport and we managed a clear run all down the A3 (the shorter way past the amalfi coast rather than the way some) sat navs try to take you which costs more in tolls and is longer.

It is about 220 miles so our average was round 70ish which is achievable on a clear run.

Our apartment is not far from the A3 so easy at that end either.

Thanks

Liz

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 9:02 pm 

Hi people of the forum.
Haven't contributed to the forum for a while but having read the kind comment from 'Guest' I feel that we may be the 'nice couple' from Amusa Mare. We were the only ones on the site from 1st June until 12th June except for a few gardeners - very lonely
Anyway, regarding our route, we have now flown Stansted to Bari on two occasions. Both were relatively straight forward and the best time was 4.5 hours door to door. Bari is not an easy place to get into or leave from - personally we didn't like it but it has an airport that flies direct to UK - hoorah!!
This time, however, we flew BA from Gatwick to Catania - £300 for two people return and how pleasant is was not to be flying Ryanair. I had forgotten how civilised flying could be, with allocated seats and no mad priority boarding rush. From Catania to Messina was under an hour on the motorway and, the crossing to North of Reggio was about 1.5 - 2 hours, including waiting time. 30 euros single way with car and very easy and pleasant. The next bit was not so easy. We took the A3 north to Rosarno. All but the last 10K was roadworks, very, very slow and frustrating. Next time, we would take the scenic coastal route - might take the same time but much nicer.
Personally, I would always try and do a direct flight if I could as I would rather spend 3-4 hours on the road, seeing a bit of Italy than the same time in an airport, waiting for a connecting flight - mind you, you have to enjoy driving in Italy - I don't mind it and am still aliive today - just.
David and Amanda Rowe - Amusa Mare I3 and I4

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 10:54 pm 

Hi David and Amanda,

I understood the ferry trip was about 35 mins from Messina to Calabria.. San Giovanni I think..did you arrive at a different port?

berni

PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 10:09 am 
Hi David & Amanda

Just to say it was nice to meet you and thank you for the drink. We had a great time in Calabria and we have been in Rome for 4 days, we are flying back at 4.15pm today. I must say Rome had some lovely sites but could not beat the lovely food and people of Calabria so glad we decided to buy there.

We drove to Reggio going across to Rosarno and the onto the A3 it is quicker as on the way back we went the scenic road it takes about 45 mins longer. Not many nice places to stop until you get to locri which is just before Siderno. When we took the ferry with our car last time to Scilly we got the ferry at somewhere called Giovanio not sure of the exact name or spelling but if you go on the A3 it is before the Reggio port. It's not scenic but quicker.

Hope to bump into you again
Regards
Pam & Jon

PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 8:11 pm 

Yes, we got the ferry from Messina (the traghetto) to San Giovani and this took us easily onto the A3. I suppose the autoroute blows hot and cold with traffic but on Sundays, at least there shouldn't be too many lorries. Otherwise, you takes what it delivers. I think its a six of one half dozen of the other but either way, better than sitting in an airport lounge - me thinks.

We also went to Rome after our great stay in Calabria and know where we would rather be. We actually stayed in Ostia, which is a bit like Brighton but with sunshine. From Rome, we took a 3 hour trip across the country to Abruzzo to see some friends and to keep our eye on an old ruin that we bought a couple of years ago - it is still standing, depsite the L'Aquila earthquake. Abruzzo is another fantastic area to visit if you get the chance - Gran Sasso mountains, good for skiiing in the winter and easy to get to. A perefct end to a perfect holiday. Back at work now - not fair!!!

PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 3:50 pm 

hi,
went from bristol to pisa,on to lamezia.
return lamezia to bergamo with 10 hours to kill before flight
back to bristol.
Its all getting to be a pain tbh,and too expensive when adding
in the rip off car hire charges.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 8:57 pm 

Just booked flights - Stansted - Pisa, then Pisa - Lamezia outward on 6 October returning on 20 October. Both flights on same day, so no overnights in hotels - change out of £140 for all flights for 2 people (just with hand luggage). Had a bit of an argument with Ryanair as I tried to use vouchers accrued using Ryanair credit card - using the vouchers would have meant that I had to book by phone and couldn't take advantage of lower fares on-line as airport taxes were added. So cheaper to book without the vouchers. £70 return per person to get to Lamezia isn't bad.

Marion

PostPosted: August 15th, 2010, 9:54 pm 

Please don't make the same mistake.. :oops:

I invited some friends to join my wife and I to Calabria in September. I settled for Gatwick via Milan Malpensa then onto Lamezia all using Easyjet. Approximate cost of flights £120 a head. To my horror and embarresment I mispelt a single letter in our friends surname. Total cost for amending this typo is £228!! This is calculated as follows: £25 per leg name change for each passenger, cost of new flights as they have gone up, yes they cancel the existing booking....then another booking fee to be added. If you call up the customer service desk it is even more expensive.

I do hate being ripped off...but accept I made a genuine error...

PostPosted: August 16th, 2010, 4:18 pm 

Dear Bergaking
That is awful
I had a similar situation when a friend booked flights for my son and Ryan air changed it for nothing -so Ryan air not so bad after all!

PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 8:27 am 

Dear Bergaking

We booked flights with Easyjet this year and faced a similar problem. Easyjet cancelled a route which meant that we had to cancel the previous flight (as there are no direct flights to Lamezia). They mistakenly cancelled all our booked flights and when we asked that they re-book the flight they quoted more costly flights. Once we explained that we were simply re-booking our original flight the booking was made at the original cost. It did take a couple of phone calls and emails but we got there in the end!

Kathryn

PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 11:22 pm 

I slipped up with an on-line booking with Ryanair last year - put my nationality down as Andorra instead of United Kingdom - no idea how or why. Decided to brave it out at Stansted instead of getting it changed beforehand. Just went to the Ryanair desk at Stansted and it was amended and did the same for the return trip from Lamezia. Have made spelling mistakes too in the past when I've been in a rush and also put my husband down as Dr instead of Mr - those mistakes didn't even get picked up.
Marion