A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: STRAY CATS & DOGS
PostPosted: July 25th, 2011, 5:39 pm 

I want to recommend the organisation LEGA PRO ANIMALE, which works to overcome the stray cat/dog problem in Southern Italy through sterilisation and rehoming programmes:

http://legaproanimale.org/donate__help

I posted on this forum earlier this year desperately seeking homes for 5 stray kittens to prevent their painful deaths. This story had a happy ending thanks to the amazing generousity of Lega Pro Animale.

In June I made a marathon train journey (6 hours each way) with 4 cats in a cat carrier in sweltering heat from Calabria to Castel Volturno. The vet in charge of Lega Pro Animale, Dorothea Fritz, arranged for me to be met at the station and taken to their Vetinary/Rescue Centre. There they operated on and neutered the four females (mother & 3 kittens), and put me up for the night, before we made the marathon return journey to Pizzo the following day.

Incredibly everyone survived the journey (despite the danger of death from heat stroke), and the sterilised kittens were successfully rehomed. Most importantly these 4 cats will not have any more kittens, so the insane cycle of constant birth and horrible death is ended, and they are able to live out their lives happily.

I would urge anyone in the UK who wishes to fundraise or sponsor their work to donate through the ANGLO ITALIAN SOCIETY for the PROTECTION OF ANIMALS (AISPA), as if you are a UK Taxpayer they can claim an additional 25% of your donation back from HMRC. They have also agreed to match any donation of £250.00, thus doubling it to £500.00!

Lega Pro Animale fundraise to run free Spay Days each month, when hundreds of stray cats are sterilised in one day in conveyor belt surgery by a team of volunteer vets. You can read about and see pictures of this unique programme here:

http://legaproanimale.org/news

http://legaproanimale.org/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/SPAY_DAY_LULGIO_2011_ENGLISH.199141522.pdf

I am now investigating what (if anything) can be done here in Calabria to sterilise abandoned cats & dogs to prevent more cruel deaths.

All the best
Anna

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: STRAY CATS & DOGS
PostPosted: July 25th, 2011, 6:18 pm 

There is something similar in Tropea, every year they round up as many stray as they can and the town vet is involved in neutering them.

Now if only someone cared enough to do the same to stray teenagers in my alley.....

Report this post
PostPosted: July 25th, 2011, 8:44 pm 

You were young once ...

Report this post
PostPosted: July 25th, 2011, 11:15 pm 

Dennis Onstenk wrote:
There is something similar in Tropea, every year they round up as many stray as they can and the town vet is involved in neutering them.

Now if only someone cared enough to do the same to stray teenagers in my alley.....

They'd be singing in the choir with the Castrati?

Report this post
PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 11:11 am 

We had abandoned dogs at our complex in Zambrone -3 gorgeous pups for 3 weeks and they were still there when we left -but getting tooo big for the shelter pipes
We fed and watered them but now we do not know what happened to them and are worried they may have perished
Does anyone know if they found homes ?

Report this post
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 3:55 pm 

irresponsible dog owners who dump dogs and puppies will never think twice about their actions while "softies" take it upon themselves to feed and water strays, it is difficult but I had friends who suffered being woken up early hours in the morning by their barking, Not to mention the mess, and once they get used to being fed , what happens in the winter when there is no one around. These dogs breed.What if they were to snap or bite at a child,Who gets sued, the complex or the people feeding them.?? A holiday complex is what is says, not makeshift kennels. The responsibilty lays with the local commune to house these unfortunate animals.Likewise, I cannot understand people taking their dogs all the way to Southern Italywith them when they go on holiday, give the dogs a break themselves and leave them with kind friends or a reputable kennels.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 6:07 pm 

doodles wrote:
Likewise, I cannot understand people taking their dogs all the way to Southern Italy with them when they go on holiday, give the dogs a break themselves and leave them with kind friends or a reputable kennels.

I just want one thing, and that is being with my owners. When I am with friends I stop eating until those friends bring me my owners back. You can go and sit in a kennel yourself whilst I swim in the Med!

Missy (the dog)

Report this post
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 8:10 pm 

Hi Pamela
Those dogs were there when we were out at Zambrone before you went out. I went up each day to feed them and give them water. I had been led to believe that they were being taken away to new homes. Shame.
Margaret

Report this post
PostPosted: August 4th, 2011, 10:34 am 

We had our dogs inoculated but in end spent a lot of money putting them in kennels. Our last one we were going to bring but lots of stairs wld not be good cos of arthritus. She also did not like the heat That actually can literally be a killer to uk dogs they are not used to it so on balance two week holiday leave at home longer and not high summer seriously consider but I do not want tp feed and walk it is a holiday!

Report this post
PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 2:05 pm 

Dennis Onstenk wrote:

Unfortunately this was a one-off in 2009, organised by a local woman along with Dorothea Fritz and the mobile spay team of volunteer vets from LEGA PRO ANIMALE (see above).

However, I have found a local Tropea vet who took part in the 2009 program. He will neuter stray cats & dogs at a discount rate if you take them to him and mention Dorothea's program.

His price for neutering stray cats is €20 for males, and €50 for females. I imagine it will be similar for dogs.

PLEASE consider neutering any stray animals you are feeding, before they reproduce and their young die horrible deaths.

VET: Dr Filippo Laria

ADDRESS: Ambulatorio Quattrozampe
Viale Stazione 9
Tropea

TEL: 0963 62586 (office hours only)

OPENING TIMES: 4pm-6.30pm, Monday-Friday

Report this post
PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 3:53 pm 

Thank you for the update Anna!

In the old town centre of Tropea cats and dogs have not been a problem for me since I live here, however. Maybe it's my Vicious Calabrian Bitch (NOT) that keeps them at bay.

Attachment:
missy.jpg
missy.jpg [ 28.17 KiB | Viewed 13765 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 2:10 pm 

Your dog is adorable!

Report this post
PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 4:45 pm 

Hi Anna

You seem to be doing a great job with the strays. Very well done :D Thanks for the vet info. Last time I was in Calabria there were quite a lot of stray kittens but I didn't really know what to do about it. I am over again in October and if I see any I will try and round them up and take them to the vet to be neutered.

As a result of the information you posted I am in touch with Legal Pro Animale about sponsorship and am "adopting" (remotely, of course) a rescue buffalo!

Regards

Cathy

Report this post
PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 11:50 am 

Hi Cathy

Thank you!!!! What a fantastic response!

I post on here and rarely get feedback to know if it has had any effect. Well done!

I feel it's important to give something back if we can, and every little helps.

I've since rescued another kitten abandoned on a main road to die at only 1 month old, and have taken her to the vet in Tropea because she has a skin condition that unfortunately isn't clearing up with home remedies!

The 5 rescue cats we have living outside are now in such good condition (neutered, wormed, de-fleaed, etc, British style) that tourists regularly stop to comment they're the healthiest cats they've seen in Pizzo!!

All the best
Anna

Report this post
PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 12:18 pm 

I wonder, and I don't know, whether there is a different situation to the cat population in Calabria. In Badolato there is a sizeable semi-feral population of cats, by which I mean that they live outdoors but certainly get fed, at least partially, by the locals. My suspicion is that they are supported in this way, not as pets, because they have a role in pest control and keep down mice and rats etc. If this is the case then I'd be cautious about disturbing what may be a stable and functioning population by campaigns of neutering etc.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 1:22 pm 

It is the same all over Southern Italy - there are colonies of semi-feral cats that are fed by sympathetic locals, and yes, they do have a role in pest control.

Sadly you may have noticed that they are usually in terrible condition. They often die horrible deaths, as unfortunately they are also regarded as pests by other locals who regularly poison them to keep the population down.

A semi-feral female cat has an average of 12 kittens each year (starting from the age of 5 months), and these kittens are usually killed or (worse) tortured to death for sport.

I don't think any humane efforts we make to rescue these poor animals from cruelty and give them a better life will upset the population balance of cats in Southern Italy!!!

I include some facts from LEGA PRO ANIMALE, who have been active in this field in Southern Italy for the last 25 years, and know the best way to proceed:

DID YOU KNOW …….
… that female dogs and cats are physically mature at the age of 5 months?
…. that they can mate at this age, and 2 months later (only 7 months old!) they can have their first litter?
…. that female dogs have a heat cycle every 6 months and if they have access to a male they will be pregnant twice each year?
…. that in one litter there can be up to 17 puppies?
…. that female cats can have up to 4 litters a year if they are free roaming?
…. that a female cat can have up to 9 kittens in one litter?
…. that male dogs and cats can mate with up to 300 females each year?
…. that every mating results in a pregnancy?
…. that dogs and cats do not have menopause?
…. that in rural areas of southern Italy, over 80 % of dogs and cats are allowed to roam freely?
AND IF WE CONTINUE THE WAY WE DO, THOUSANDS OF PUPPIES AND KITTENS WILL BE BORN ONLY TO DIE!

Report this post
PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 6:39 pm 

I understand from Josepina (sorry re spelling) that Sue (an owner at the complex) called the local rescue organization to have the three puppies removed from the Zambrone property.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 9th, 2011, 6:53 pm 

Hi Anna

I have now "adopted" Emilio, the buffalo! I am hoping to go and see him when I am next in Calabria in October!

Cathy

Report this post
 Post subject: STRAY CATS DOGS
PostPosted: November 18th, 2016, 6:45 pm 

Hi,

I live accross the street from a barn.Every day I go past it, I see at least 2 cats. My neighbor went over and counted 24 cats and kittens
They dont have collars. I dont know if they are feral or stray. Every time I try to get too close, they flee.
What happened is that someone does own the barn, but they also own a group of other houses. The barn is just for storing stuff. He fed the cats once, and they keep coming back. Im going to look further into this, see if I fiind anything else. In the meantime, what should I do?

Elizabeth

Report this post
PostPosted: November 19th, 2016, 11:40 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Is this post related to the problem in Calabria / Italy? If it is in Italy, check out the first posting on this topic.
Contact thr RSPCA if you are in UK!

Report this post