A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2011, 10:01 pm 

I'm reading a lot about furniture, so I'd like to recommend the carpenter I used, and also to offer some general advice about furnishing apartments here in Calabria.

In general there are two options:

1. Furnish the house yourself, and accept that it will be a slow process. For example, do you have a car, and do you speak Italian? Even with both these things, it will take TIME. I've just furnished a tiny studio apartment, and it's taken a long time. What we don't realise, coming from the UK, with unlimited EASY ACCESS to CHEAP furniture shops, is how different it is here in Calabria. First, all furniture (even horrible stuff you wouldn't think of buying in the UK) is EXPENSIVE - you cannot begin to imagine how expensive until you get here!! We live in a different world of cheap, readily available furniture. Then, secondly, EVERYTHING takes time, sometimes lots of time!!! And everything you need is in all different places requiring all sorts of different journeys, and research and hard work - believe me it's a real challenge, but worth it in the end to get the house you want. Plus, you need all sorts of different local tradesmen to fit it, and then it needs to be checked and monitored as they fit it. Because no matter how clear you've been about how you want it done, they'll inevitably do it the way they think it SHOULD be done (not the way you thought you'd agreed with them), and then it needs snagging!!! You will need to be able to be here for chunks of time - I'm not trying to put you off - I chose this route, and now everything is exactly how I wanted it and I'm so proud of my home.

2. Option number 2, usually chosen by people because they start off thinking they'll do Option 1, and quickly find out how difficult it is, and opt for Option 2. You pay a local property management company to furnish your apartment for you. They help you choose one of their furniture packages, arrange for delivery and installation. Yes, you're paying for their services, but it's going to save you money in the long run. You will need their help with practically everything here in Calabria, and they have the experience, so know how to do it all as quickly & easily as possible. Still be prepared for the culture shock of how EXPENSIVE furnishing a home here is! You will also need their services for keyholding and managing your rentals if you plan to let it out. If you want to take this option, then I can recommend the property management companies on my website, 'La Dolce Vita di Pizzo', on the Accommodation page under Property Managment (click on the links for their websites). If you're based in other parts of Calabria, then there are many recommendations on this forum by people who've used local companies in their area.

MADE TO MEASURE FURNITURE
Now, my apartment is very small, and having looked at ready made furniture, I decided to pay more and have everything made to measure to my own design to make the most of the space. I can recommend the local carpenter I used - he is not cheap (but he will give you a fair price) - and remember to haggle the price down! He can make any piece of furniture you want, in any colour, with any finish, all hand-made to your own design and measurements in his workshop, and then quickly assembled and fitted in your apartment to an excellent standard. I chose white lacquered wood, and a solid marble worktop in the kitchen. By the way fitting the kitchen did not include plumbing in the sink or connecting the cooker (unlike the UK) - so negotiate that at the beginning. He also made a bed, a table, a sliding door and lots of fitted cupboards.

Mobile: +39 339 8830344
Email: diagaziogiuseppe@virgilio.it

Anna
La Dolce Vita di Pizzo Information Guide

www.dolcevitapizzo.co.uk

Attachment:
File comment: Kitchenette
Small Kitchen.JPG
Small Kitchen.JPG [ 78.76 KiB | Viewed 3497 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Bed & Storage
Bed & Storage.JPG
Bed & Storage.JPG [ 71.36 KiB | Viewed 3497 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Handmade Kitchen
Falegnameria Di Agazio.jpg
Falegnameria Di Agazio.jpg [ 8.62 KiB | Viewed 3497 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 12:16 am 

Wow, that is fantastic! Bet it was far better to pay a bit more than have the hassle of backwards and forewards and all over the place and waiting for each individual delivery. I'd say you got a win:win situation there.

It looks lovely!

Report this post
PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 7:43 pm 

Hi all

Im glad to say we didn't share in a frustrating experience when furnishing our appartment. We found the service from many shops excellent and delivery was made on the same day.
Our Italian is virtually nil, however we had great fun and through this experience made many friends. We even shared beers after the delivery, they did have to carry everthing up 5 floors (102 steps!!!!)
Our appartment is in Bianaco on the East coast and we can highly recommend one particular shop in Bianco 'EXPERT' managed by Damiano Bonfa who sells absolutley everything!! He can also arrange fitting. Just to say we did cheat a little here though as he speaks perfect English!!

Karen & Josh

Report this post
PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 10:41 pm 

I ordered my furniture through Paul & Tom and it was a painfree way to furnish the apartment.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 9:48 am 

If anyone would like made to measure on the east coast feel free to contact, we have had a corner cabinet, and a huge room divider with drawers, wardrobe space, bookcase all integral made. We have also seen other examples of work made by Master Vincenzo

Report this post
PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 10:15 am 

Ionian wrote:
If anyone would like made to measure on the east coast feel free to contact, we have had a corner cabinet, and a huge room divider with drawers, wardrobe space, bookcase all integral made. We have also seen other examples of work made by Master Vincenzo

Not to mention day bed, table, chairs, doors and windows.

Report this post