A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 5th, 2007, 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, there are a few agents out there now (And popping up in Spain of all places?) and it's becoming a very fast-growing sector.

I DON'T want to turn this into a thread that bashes a certain (3 Initials) company :wink: so please give genuine recommendations for agents you've dealt with or viewed/bought through and tell us why you rate them.

Negative comments about one particular company (You know who I mean!) will be removed in the interest of everyone's sanity/patience - this thread is for recommendations only.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 10:01 pm 

I have just got back from a viewing trip with this 3 lettered company. After previously being worried about them before and posting a few threads asking about them to which the info i got put me off. However after a 3 day trip i was very impressed with them and would like to say that although i didn't buy a property they were very professional and not at all pushy. I actually told them things i had heard and about the negative publicity and, after chatting with a few members of their staff i felt more confident that the majority of the workforce are fine. Being a large company it is impossible to control everything said by everybody who works for you and you are going to hear more bad things than from any other company as you have more clients happy or not. I felt the need to say this as i had a fair bit to say before when i wasn't so complimantary. Like i said i didn't buy a property so am not being biased this way and just felt it may benefit someone else who is in the situation that i was in a week ago. I would consider buying with them in the future as i would any company who recieves good press and reccomendations. So if anyone has any keep us all posted. P.S what an amazing place the west coast is !

Report this post
 Post subject: Scalea Property Services
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 10:21 am 

These are agents who deal in the Scalea/Cosenza area.

http://www.scalea-property.com

I spent half a day with Tony and was looked after nicely.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 4:22 pm 

Faustino,

How did you expect these guys to be?

Most of the guys on the ground with xxx are genuinely nice people who are doing an honest job. Unfortunately they almost always end up being owed a lot of money for the work they've done and they never get it. I would lay a bet that most of the guys you met had been with the company less than 3 months and therefore a little green, even though they will not tell you that.

xxx wouldn't sell half the properties they do worldwide if their sales people weren't amiable, convincing people.

Please don't miss the point! The problems that occur for clients after they have bought through xxx come from the way the company is run at Director level.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 6:11 pm 

To be honest i expected them to be as pushy as hell, and after seeing the video on them i really feared the worst. After the trip it just made me think that as they are such a huge company and the jobs are commision paid its hard for all the employees to be controlled. I know there are thousands of complaints, although i haven't seen this site yet but they are selling hundreds of thousands of properties, of course you're not going to please everyone. A company this size is always going to get more complaints than one that sells 100 properties. Don't get me wrong i'm not defending them and i didn't buy i just felt i should say what happened as i was quick to judge them before my trip. Calabria is definately where i want to invest my money and i need to know it's going to be dealt with by the right people which is one of the reasons why i didn't invest this time. I intend to buy on the west coast and am planning a private trip in the new year, mainly to know what town i want a property as i loved about 3 or 4 of the areas we were shown. Any reccomendations of tried and tested companies appreciated.

Report this post
 Post subject: Italian Connection
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 3:50 pm 

We bought through Italian Connection and found them to be very good. We went on the initial inspection trip with them and stayed in fantastic hotels and went to some great restaurants. In fact it was a real shock when we got back to England and remembered that we had to pay for things! By the way, by this point we had already paid our deposit so this was all above and beyond the call of duty. They even treated me to a game of golf! The guys who work for them all seem really nice and knowledgeable and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Report this post
PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 11:55 am 

hi faustino

What makes you think xxx is a huge company? They have about 12 employees and certainly havent sold hundreds of thousands of properties...they havent even sold 1000 yet!

Report this post
PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 5:12 pm 

If you want a traditional house, to rent, do up yourself or have done for you, I would recommend Domenico. coastofangels@virilio.it honest trustworthy etc.
He would also be able to find you houses/apartments in the Soverato to Caulonia area which are not traditional but on a holiday development if you want.
When I say traditional I mean in the hill top village or Marina that a local would buy rather than built/renovated solely for the expats.

Report this post
PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 11:07 pm 

Hi,
I am new to the forum. My husband and I are looking to purchase a property around Tropea or Pizzo, after visiting with friends in the summer. We are pretty green about these things so have spent many a night on the laptop researching agents. We have decided to go with Italy Rediscovered because we are interested in their hilltop development in Tropea. We will do an inspection next month. I will let you know how it goes - any tips??? :D

Report this post
PostPosted: October 8th, 2008, 8:37 am 

dont forget to pop in and see Don!!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: October 8th, 2008, 3:01 pm 

Do you mean Dennis Onstenk ?

Report this post
PostPosted: October 24th, 2008, 10:02 am 

There are several agents/developers now in Calabria with 3 initials, can anyone enlighten me which one of these everyone keeps going on about???

Report this post
PostPosted: October 24th, 2008, 12:12 pm 

I know IC have come in for a bit of stick, but i have found them to be very helpful and professional in our dealings with them through from viewing trip to completion, its a shame i cant say the same about a certian firm of lawyers.

Report this post
PostPosted: October 30th, 2008, 2:25 pm 

We used Mina at Euroinvest - as recommended by Janet Fairfax at Cresta Villas. We thought that Janet was very helpful and very open about the area and the developments that we looked at. She put us in touch with Euroinvest after we had visited some developments with IC which proved to be not what we were looking for. Mina has re-sales as well as some new, off plan developments. She has helped us get Code Fiscal, set up bank account and organise furniture etc. She also represents us and other foreign buyers at condominium meetings.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 9th, 2008, 7:52 pm 

I went to the mri office today and it's shut and they have disappeared with mine and other people's money. In the next couple of months a lot of your English and Irish subscibers are going to be very disapointed that they bought with this company and asking why where we not warned through forums such as this. so in the interest of everyones pockets I think you should post this.
Leon.

SamInCalabria wrote:
Ok, there are a few agents out there now (And popping up in Spain of all places?) and it's becoming a very fast-growing sector.

I DON'T want to turn this into a thread that bashes a certain (3 Initials) company :wink: so please give genuine recommendations for agents you've dealt with or viewed/bought through and tell us why you rate them.

Negative comments about one particular company (You know who I mean!) will be removed in the interest of everyone's sanity/patience - this thread is for recommendations only.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 9th, 2008, 8:29 pm 

eh, don't blame the forum. It is only as good as its members. If we don't know anything we can't post it.

Hopefully there will be a good explanation as to why MRI offices have closed, early for Christmas etc.

mags

Report this post
PostPosted: December 10th, 2008, 12:36 pm 

Hi Mags
OK mri has gone on holiday and taken there office equipment and furniture with them. Wake up please.
Leon

mags wrote:
eh, don't blame the forum. It is only as good as its members. If we don't know anything we can't post it.

Hopefully there will be a good explanation as to why MRI offices have closed, early for Christmas etc.

mags

Report this post
PostPosted: December 10th, 2008, 12:57 pm 

If MRI has upstick's and closed for good, then check with your solicitor and find out who is your contract with, is it with MRI or with the builder??? if with MRI do the bank guarantees come into effect if they have gone bankrupt???? if with the builder then the work should continue shouldnt it????? and your apartment and money safe??? hopefully its just a glitch in the system and everything for you buyers out there will be ok, fingers crossed.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 10th, 2008, 1:12 pm 

This situation has gone on for months, I have been down all these routes and I am in the proccess of taking these people to court because of the way in which a property was sold to me without adhearing to Italian law. I am unable to say much but all will be revealed in the next few weeks.

diane wrote:
If MRI has upstick's and closed for good, then check with your solicitor and find out who is your contract with, is it with MRI or with the builder??? if with MRI do the bank guarantees come into effect if they have gone bankrupt???? if with the builder then the work should continue shouldnt it????? and your apartment and money safe??? hopefully its just a glitch in the system and everything for you buyers out there will be ok, fingers crossed.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 10th, 2008, 1:15 pm 

what proof have you that they have "taken peoples money"?are you saying that people wont get their apts? i think you are talking nonsense. i posted up to a month ago that they had closed their offices in calabria and this is the reason i will be using another company for rentals. the fact that mri have closed down now is virtually irrelevant to those of us who have bought with them. surely knowing that dennis is now selling mri's properties it would not come as a surprise that they have closed. re bank guarantees etc i dont think mri are going bankrupt but have sent a email to solicitors re guarantees etc and when they come back i will post.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 10th, 2008, 1:39 pm 
Hi grogdog do you know if the offices they have in Belfast and Dublin are still open.

Report this post

PostPosted: December 10th, 2008, 1:44 pm 

no idea mate was never in either but was in the one in benalmadena in the marina. :)

i have just received this email from the solictior re closing of the offices in calabria:

Dear Sir,

They closed the office in calabria but they still have one sales rep and one admin here and they are starting to sale on the Est coast, so actually they are only downsizing everything but they surely intend to remain in Italy, either for the aftesales of existing client or new deals in the future. So there is nothing to worry about.

Regards

Report this post
PostPosted: December 10th, 2008, 2:23 pm 
Yes i heard rumours of this, but the letter seems to confirm that.

Report this post

PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 8:07 pm 
This may be more than a rumour seems to check out and is very well researched.
http://investmentpropertyrumours.blogsp ... ealty.html

Last edited by investor500 on December 18th, 2008, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 8:11 pm 

I am not getting thru, can someone cut and paste?

Report this post
PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 9:36 pm 
Sorry having problems with the link but i notice chris has just posted the article in News.we are probably best saving this thread for recomended agents if any one would like to do so.

Report this post

PostPosted: January 5th, 2009, 12:07 pm 

Can you tell us where and when you bought? Have you sorted your lawyers yet?

Report this post
PostPosted: January 5th, 2009, 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

For the record.....

NEW CEO AND DIRECTION FOR MRI OP
MRI Overseas Property, DCC International Property

Ending speculation on various trade and investor blogs, the new CEO of MRI Overseas Property, Dominic Pickering, has outlined the company’s plans to focus on construction in 2009.

“We launched 7 or 8 years ago and started constructing at the midway point,” said Pickering. “Most of our profit now comes from construction and the day to day demands, and costs, of marketing are no longer our main focus.”

Pickering told OPP that MRI had gone through a major restructure in the last 3-6 months, closing some of its offices and laying off some staff as the company downsized to adapt to current market conditions. While the board is largely unchanged – Darragh Macanthony is chairman, Paul O’Mahoney is director of construction, and James Forester is marketing director – a significant change is the absence of former CEO Michael Liggan.

“Marketing was always Michael’s forte, so he has set up his own venture,” said Pickering. “This is not an acrimonious departure, and we hope he will send some buyers our way”. This new venture, called DCC International Property, was recently set up by Michael Liggan and is currently promoting projects in Cyprus, Bulgaria, Portugal, Romania, Spain and USA.

Independent venture
Confirming that DCC was “completely independent” of MRI Overseas Property, Liggan told OPP that: “DCC doesn't have an exclusive agreement to market or sell MRI developments and currently doesn't have any other exclusive agreements for the many other developments it will be marketing”.

Clarifying the relationship with MRI and its board, Liggan added: “I have a very close relationship to Darragh MacAnthony; not only was I the CEO for his group of companies for many years but I am also his best friend. Because of this a lot of industry people have assumed that DCC is really MRI in disguise when that simply isn't the case. The truth of the situation is that Darragh wants to focus more of his time on developing and constructing projects around the world and also developing his football club Peterborough United and trying to get them promoted this season and in the next season until they're in the Premiership.

“With Darragh not wanting to focus on taking over yet more of his ‘territories’ for his real estate company there is an opportunity for someone like me to want to do this and I believe the industry needs it. With Darragh planning on downsizing MRI Overseas Property I felt that now is the obvious time to go for it. Yes, we're going through a worldwide credit crunch but times like this are often considered the best time to start a new company and for me that means I have direct access to taking on some of the best staff in the industry and also some of the best offices out there”.

Since DCC is currently promoting MRI projects, and occupying some of the MRI offices that had been closed down, there have been rumours of a rebrand. “It’s not a rebrand,” added Pickering. “We’ve spent 8 years building the MRI brand. We offered DCC the option of taking on the leases of some of our office space in Cyprus and Spain. They took up the offer and have even recruited some of the people we had to let go.”

Outlining plans going forward, Pickering said that it would not be relying on the same traditional marketing methods to sell homes. “As constructors, we still know how to sell,” he said. “But rather than spending thousands on stands at property exhibitions, we will be building a network of agents to partner with. We still have thousands upon thousands of clients on our database who have either purchased or shown interest, so we have various options open to us, but our aim is to build sales networks in the UK, Europe and the US.”

While MRI’s headquarters will remain in Spain, Pickering is based in Orlando in the US and is currently in negotiation with local partners to build this network. He also told OPP that MRI had been actively banking land in Europe and the US over the last year to support its focus on construction.

© www.opp.org.uk
Posted by The Orlando Team at 11:43 AM
Labels: building, ceo, dcc property, dominic, florida, home sales, investors abroad, mri, mri construction, mri overseas property, orlando, pickering, usa

GROGDOG wrote:
no idea mate was never in either but was in the one in benalmadena in the marina. :)

i have just received this email from the solictior re closing of the offices in calabria:

Dear Sir,

They closed the office in calabria but they still have one sales rep and one admin here and they are starting to sale on the Est coast, so actually they are only downsizing everything but they surely intend to remain in Italy, either for the aftesales of existing client or new deals in the future. So there is nothing to worry about.

Regards

Report this post
PostPosted: March 8th, 2009, 6:51 pm 

Hi all,

I am new on this forum which i find very informative. Im currently buying in Calabria with VFI (jewel of the sea) and MRI in Santa Venere, and cant get any information from either the lawyers or MRI itself for Santa Venere

There are rumours that the development has been sequestered by the police due to illegal planning issues, but cant find any up to date information anywhere online. Can anyone help?

Report this post
PostPosted: March 8th, 2009, 8:01 pm 

MarkUK wrote:
Hi all,

I am new on this forum which i find very informative. Im currently buying in Calabria with VFI (jewel of the sea) and MRI in Santa Venere, and cant get any information from either the lawyers or MRI itself for Santa Venere

There are rumours that the development has been sequestered by the police due to illegal planning issues, but cant find any up to date information anywhere online. Can anyone help?

hi mark, search for santa venere itself you will find alot of info on it, have you not received the legal report for the solicitors? all will be finalised by the 26th march but i think it is gone.

Report this post
PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 11:16 pm 

For absolutley anything you need here's a good website to visit,run by British couple,speaking and knowing the Calabrian language and people, from just completing and needing help -to caretaking, rental , airport transfers,Italian lessons, cooking lessons, hire of BBQ's, beach towels, etc....you name it they do it..
Would certainly reccomend them, they are based on the East coast:
gioiosalifestylesolutions.com - check them out, we're glad we did ,after been left in the dark with IC
Good Luck.
Wendy & Gary

Report this post
PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 5:36 pm 

Hi, I heard about this guy called Domenico and I also met him. He showed me a lot of beautiful properties he has available in the old village of Badolato. I really reccommend him, he is professional and a very kind person. Ionian is right, his e-mail address is coastofangels@virgilio.it

Report this post
PostPosted: December 30th, 2009, 6:52 pm 

You are Domenico from Coast of Angels and I claim my Euro 5. :wink:

Sorry Speed, but all your posts are very similar. You can't blame me for making a link.

Happy New Year! :D

Report this post
PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 10:45 pm 

I will ask Domenico if it is him, but his English is better than that, mind you the English posts by the English can be worse than speeds!

Having bought in Badolato and worked with Domenico on the renovation and living in the village as a result we have no problem with him advertising, if it is him.

Time will tell, may be next year?

Report this post
PostPosted: January 1st, 2010, 3:02 pm 
Please remember this thread was put here for honest recomendations,not for individuals to pretend they are happy clients,when they are instead directly connected to the company they mention,a common and speedy trick, but thankfully due to the experience of many members of the forum, along with the ip address easily recognised.

Report this post

PostPosted: January 1st, 2010, 7:28 pm 

Mark I trust that post was not aimed at me. I have no connection to Domenico other than we bought from him and he manages our property and friends. I would recommend him to anyone, to do that you do not have to have a business connection with them. The people I do business with I trust no further than I can throw, and having put one person in prison for fraud I feel I am a reasonable judge of character.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 17th, 2010, 9:12 pm 

Hi,I'm new here.
I could recommend a certain agent & builder NOT TO USE!!

Report this post