A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 21st, 2009, 4:12 pm 

Dear All

If you are thinking of bringing furniture from the UK, then please don't!

There is a lot of talk about how we are helping this "poor region of Italy", but if you don't spend your 5k on furniture locally in Calabria, well, I think that's a big, big shame!

There are plenty of shops and people to help us, so no excuses!

:D

Report this post
PostPosted: August 21st, 2009, 4:24 pm 

Hello Joe S

Please don't make sweeping statements like that because everyone's circumstances are different. I would have loved to buy everything in Italy, but for us, buying here was is not only more practical, but cheaper, easier and less stressful, and I think a lot of people feel the same way. Don't you think if we could buy in Italy, we would!!

Report this post
PostPosted: August 21st, 2009, 4:57 pm 

I have also found the furniture very expensive compared to that in the UK, we would also love to buy Italian goods, but cannot afford to do so. We have costed including delivery and it's still cheaper to take our own.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 21st, 2009, 5:03 pm 

Hi
Response to that "it is none of your business what any of us are doing in respect of buying furniture."

Report this post
PostPosted: August 21st, 2009, 5:28 pm 

People have different reasons for buying in the UK, rather than in Italy. My hubby wants to look at this, as he feels we would have everything delivered, when we wanted and were able to be there to sort out. Think of the aggro to get things delivered in your own country, when you want. I know we can pay someone to do this, on our behalf, but if you are from Yorkshire (I'm from Lancs), this is very hard to allow, as it is considered a waste of money.

I am looking forward to going round the Italian, local shops, but will have to convince the other half.

I think electrical goods need to be purchased locally to ensure they don't use too much electricity. 8)

Report this post
PostPosted: August 21st, 2009, 10:44 pm 

We brought furniture over from England for many different reasons - we preferred it, we already had it and we come over for long weekends and do not have the time to do all the shopping and wait for it to be delivered.
It is very difficult now to fill up a suitcase with your own personal belongings because of the airline charges and weight limit. so haveing all our things brought out was the best solution for us.
We used a great guy called Andrew Wiffen 07803014955, andrewwiffen@btinternet.com. He brought all our furniture from England and delivered it into out apartment for under £1000, all in perfect condition.
It was all so easy to do it this way for us.
If anyone has any questions and you are thinking of doing the same do get in touch.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 21st, 2009, 11:23 pm 
Stupid thread, people are free to buy or see fit where they choose to, that is why we work in a free European Market, if they do not have it you have to import it. You will probably find if you check most of the furniture is imported anyway in the majority of the italian shops, and basically it all comes down to price and style no one wants to pay over the odds or buy furniture which just does not suit them or their individual taste.
good luck with the Calabrian experience but i rest my case that you do not have to buy furniture there if you do not like, it or is cheaper elsewhere.

Report this post

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 6:33 am 

Ha Ha, brilliant!
"poor region of Italy"! my wife's family have lived in the region for generations we have property there and know alot of people
so we know a bit about the area and i think it's far from poor, so many people get sucked into the hype! never judge a book...........
i was only sat in Filidelfia the other day watching the Ferrari's and Porsche's
go by (and no, they weren't from Torino, Roma etc)
i wouln't buy anything substantial locally unless i had to.
need to do a bit more research before telling everyone to buy furniture locally

Report this post
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 10:48 am 

carolineann wrote:
We brought furniture over from England for many different reasons - we preferred it, we already had it and we come over for long weekends and do not have the time to do all the shopping and wait for it to be delivered.
It is very difficult now to fill up a suitcase with your own personal belongings because of the airline charges and weight limit. so haveing all our things brought out was the best solution for us.
We used a great guy called Andrew Wiffen 07803014955, andrewwiffen@btinternet.com. He brought all our furniture from England and delivered it into out apartment for under £1000, all in perfect condition.
It was all so easy to do it this way for us.
If anyone has any questions and you are thinking of doing the same do get in touch.

I will make a note of that number...that is a good price.
i have been waiting over 2 years for my app. to be built and will probably have another to wait so this has given me time and money to buy all i need at home and store it ready for the move. i will not have to spend my precious
time in calabria looking for furniture that may be overpriced and not just what I want. Not to mention all the stuff like towels etc that we all already have.
No brainer to me
mel

Report this post
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 11:06 am 

We did a mixture, ie brought the 4 poster bed down in a volvo estate, bought the mattress in Italy, linens towels here as and when I saw what I wanted, usually browing the sales, and I name tagged it all. We bought all the other beds in the area. Tables chairs dressing tables, wardrobes all sourced via Domenico and the electrical things we bought there or came from our house here and changed the plugs.
We try and do our bit for the local economy where ever we are but do not want to pay over the odds for things we know we can get cheaper. Our kettle here was bought in Mastrichtt.
We are looking into doing the reverse and bringing home a stylish ac unit for our new bedroom.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 10:11 pm 

Blimey. I only asked. :shock:

Report this post
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2009, 6:47 pm 

if you don't ask you can't learn!!!

hope the posting have answered the point.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 7:25 pm 

I am going to make my own furniture. I am going to fashion it from cocktail sticks. I am going to handpaint each individual one, and tie it to the next using 0.1mm gold thread. I have estimated I am going to need just over 80million cocktail sticks for the 2 bed apartment I have on order.

I have worked out that if I start now, I will be finished by 2030.

It is unlikely that my apartment will be finished by then, so I need to find somewhere to store it.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 11:01 pm 

AW GBL that post is funny yet so so sad!!!
Lets hope things lookup and turn out different to your prediction!! I sincerely hope so for you and all those having horrendous problems.
Fingers crossed for you all

Report this post
PostPosted: August 26th, 2009, 5:53 pm 

Hi GBL

I hope you are not planning on bringning your cocktail sticks from the UK.

:)

Report this post
PostPosted: August 27th, 2009, 9:23 am 

I suspect he will be using the free ones you get in bars and restaurants when you have a drink or nibbles, got to cut the cost you know.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 28th, 2009, 5:27 pm 

I have decided to buy each coctail stick individually in a bar. I think each one comes with a free dry martini & olive.

It will make the excercise slightly more costly, but generally more entertaining.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 8:31 pm 

I look forward to seeing the finished articles if your liver can stand up to the free items.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2009, 2:31 pm 

Crikey Joe, I bet you loved the way everyone took that to their hearts :D :D ha ha.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 26th, 2009, 8:56 pm 

We're in the process of completing at San Rocco 2 and considering sourcing furniture in England as everything locally seems rather expensive.

The best transport quote I've received is £1350 but wonder if anyone else is considering doing the same? Ours is only a small 1 bed and I'm sure if we could join forces it would work out more cost effective.

Cheers,

Jeff

Report this post
PostPosted: September 27th, 2009, 9:34 pm 

jeff 46 where are you based as a starting point. i am in the northwest. also with small one bedroom in san rocco. looking to ship sofa bed, dining table and chairs, double bed and small tv unit. also some house hold itmes such as dishes, glasses, bedding etc.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 27th, 2009, 9:57 pm 

I cannot see the maths on not buying furniture down there when it will cost 1300 + to take it there unless you already have the items in the UK.
Where are you looking to buy the furniture, there must be shops around that do not charge that much, just like the UK, you shop around.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 7:34 am 

Hi Sunflower and others.....

I to, fail to see the saving in bringing stuff from the UK down here as well?
(now each to ther own of course)

If you know where to go and ask the right people then you can get your home "kitted out" cheaper than bringging it from home.......and im not talking heavey Italian furniture or "Kits" either but we can provide them,if required.

We have helped many buy furniture down here and if we may be of service then by all means contact us and im sure we could save you money and provide you with a great day out shopping.
All goods bought (if in stock) through us are deliverd within 48 hours and the price you pay includes delivery and fitting.....(saves you the hassel),plus were always on site to help translate and help when the guys get there to fit it (at no extra charge,i might add as its all part of the service.)

Regards
Mark G
www.calabriaservices.com

Report this post
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 3:35 pm 

Dear Ionian and justgelitalia,

As discussed before, some of us don't have the luxury of being able to buy in Italy. Some of us don't have the time to go out to Italy at the drop of a hat to buy furniture. Some of us, even if we had the time, have children who don't want to be dragged around countless shops. Some of us who have looked into furniture packs, have found the ones that are not too expensive, only include actual furniture, and not all the bits and pieces needed to complete an apartment (like tin openers and toilet roll holders), and the ones that do include everything are ridiculously priced. And some of us have thought long and hard about what is best for our own individual circumstances and are starting to get slightly ticked off at being criticised for the choices we make.

Btw, I'm not normally this grumpy, but I've got almost 30 mosquito bites, half of which are infected and I feel like .......!!

Report this post
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 5:13 pm 

Hi
I agree. I for one am so glad that we opted for bringing our furniture out . The poor girl above us spent just about all of her holiday visiting shops whereas we spent a few hours every day getting the place in order and enjoying our holiday for the rest . As you say it really is a decision for everyone to make for themselves. I feel we made the right one and would recommend it to anyone and our driver Billy was great.
Margaret

Report this post
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 5:43 pm 

Yes, you are grumpy.

If you take some time the prices are comparable, even cheaper,

I cannot go out to Italy whenever I want.

I took my son furniture shopping, he had to deal with it. Good for the soul doing something you do not want to do. Practice for when he has his own place.

I would not touch a furniture package, another persons taste, no thank you.

Part of the fun of buying somewhere abroad is to buy things from that country to go in that home.

We did a mix using the Volvo to transport a bed and bed linen, other linens, coffee table, husband.

sorry to hear you have mossie bites, have you sourced fly screens yet?

Report this post
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 6:43 pm 

we have just returned from 3 very wet and windy days in san lucido,but we didnt let the weather dampen our spirits :roll: we bought a afew items of furniture in turco and i mmust thank vincnte for being so helpful.we also had a nice meal in the petra longa resteraunt in san lucido,beautiful house red and very reasonable. i would also like to give a mention to sue and pete from san lucido property services for all their wonderful help and advice.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 7:19 pm 

dgrcgl29 wrote:
And some of us have thought long and hard about what is best for our own individual circumstances and are starting to get slightly ticked off at being criticised for the choices we make.

Btw, I'm not normally this grumpy, but I've got almost 30 mosquito bites, half of which are infected and I feel like .......!!

The shame is that as far as i know (I am defiantly not) or can see....no one is being criticised for there choices that they make, fare from it, as you say it works for you and im glad it has, it works for many others too.
I have helped many people (that have moved themselfs and those that have not) and the point that i was trying to get across, is that it does not have to be a "chore" or expensive to get things down here.
There are many companies running that can source furniture and other things and with a bit of planning and a few Emails from the comfort of your own home you might, might just be able to find a company that could do everything for you before you arrive therefore pinpointing where to go as to minimising the stress on your children or time of your holiday.
Please forgive me if it has come across as criticism, truly it was not intended too.
As for you mossy bites, I could recommend a remedy but if i did i fear the thread would change....lols
The grumpy bit is easy.......”Vecchio Romano” works,so im told (i don’t drink)

Regards
Mark

Report this post
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 7:51 pm 

erm just going of topic for a minute, Ionion mentioned fly screens did you know that you can buy them from the ryan air in flight mag, they stick on the inside of the window frames, just thought i would mention whilst i remembered

cheers Diane :)

Report this post
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 7:54 pm 

Ionian,

I'm getting grumpier by the minute!!

I've no doubt that if I took the time I could find something comparable - the point is, I don't have the time.

I also don't have a Volvo, and even if I did, I wouldn't have the time to drive it all the way from Scotland.

I agree that involving the children in the whole experience is good for them - I've already taught the 11 year olds how a mortgage works and what a property manager does, but I challenge anyone to go shopping with four children for the amount of time needed to furnish and equip a whole apartment, and come back with four children and your sanity intact!!!

Like I said, everyone's circumstances are different, and the forum is here to share information and experiences - not to judge people for the choices they make.

And yes, I'm looking seriously at mossie nets!!

Report this post
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 8:35 pm 

Go on then, let's change the thread and drift a bit off topic! :twisted:

MAPLIN sell some cheap 'blue-light' mossie zappers ~ we cooked a few in August with one by the open door or shutters, and a nice blue glow all night!

Also I have heard tell that 'garlic tablets' for a week before you go make you sweat so that the mossies hate you!
(You used to be able to buy Kwai tablets - it was tasteless garlic that did the trick. You notice that they really bother some people, and not others. Remember when they used to dig roads with a pick and shovel???? Never saw a navvie bothered by flies - eleventeen pints of bitter and working up a sweat cured that!!)

Report this post
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 9:32 pm 

You can buy pre made mossie screens in the equivalent of B & Q more permament than the sticky ones, and I suspect buying them from Ryan air may be slightly more expensive than popping into a D I Y store here or over there for them.(both sorts). The inserts in your sunday paper quite often have adverts for them as well.

You buy your furniture where you want, the whole ethos of the forum is polite discussion, exchange of ideas and raising questions on preconceptions of what is available or not, including in/expensive furniture. We live on the borders and it takes us a day to drive to Dover etc., so whilst we are not in Scotland we too have a long way to go to get a plane or drive/ferry down to Italy. For Volvo, put the car of your choice, it is amazing what you can get in!

Report this post
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 10:20 am 

I have just returned from a furniture shopping trip in calabria
I spent a week looking and on last 2 days went to a shop in pizzo opposite the piedagrotto .
I had seen some cheap wardrobe bedroom sets in brico at 395 euros but decided to spend a little more on better quality furniture .
I saw some solid good quality wardrobe sets in the shop and the lady offered me the option of the same in cream which I agreed to because it was a better match for the bedroom. I asked are they the same and she assured me they were. I paid 900 euros with another 200 to be paid in total 1100 euros .They arrived at night to fit and deliver same, 2 hours later I realised the furniture they had brought and built was the same as the set in brico for 379 euros not cream but white and not the same kind or quality of the furniture in the shop. I asked the man about it and as he is the lady's husband he rang her she said oh a mistake they would change it to cream when I come back as I was leaving for the airport 7.00am in the morning.
I think maybe I have been ripped off big style and I have no idea whether I have any come back as nothing is in writing and they do not speak english and my italian is not extensive .Can anyone give advice on my chances of getting what I paid for or even money back -Ha ha I know that is in my dreams!
Pamela

Report this post
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 11:43 am 

oh dear, may be contact someone who offers services on the thread for furniture buying? A good marketing tool in sorting this out for you, at a small price I suspect. Did you send the furniture back? We had a mix up and I made them take it straight away.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 3:36 pm 

I think I agree with 'Ionian'.

Mix and match what is right for you. Buy locally what you think is right - exchange views on various shops (the rogues make the good ones look even better), and yes, fill your estate car and drive!

We have driven 3 times now from the North West - fly for a week (Liverpool-Naples), drive for 2 weeks or more .... and fill that car!!! Even down to the low energy bulbs from Tesco at 4 for £2 instead of 8:50euro each!

Report this post
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 3:53 pm 

If any one wants LED lights contact me, I have just put state of the art LED in my kitchen so my huge bill should reduce.
I am also going to do it in Italy, lots of halogen lights, very designery but not eco friendly.
I will try and find the site where I got them from, friendly service.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 5:29 pm 

Hi Sunflower,

jeff 46 where are you based as a starting point. i am in the northwest. also with small one bedroom in san rocco. looking to ship sofa bed, dining table and chairs, double bed and small tv unit. also some house hold itmes such as dishes, glasses, bedding etc.

We're in the South East,just off the M25. That's more or less what we will be shipping so I'll get in contact with the guy and get a revised quote. What Block are you in and have you completed yet?

Cheers,

Jeff

Report this post
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 5:32 pm 

Thanks to all who gave advice I think I will ask for help in sorting this
pam

Report this post
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 6:16 pm 

LED lights. www.ledevac.com 01989 770962

have a look at the site, he does the big stuff but is quite happy to supply LED lights for the house.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 8:23 pm 

Pamela,

Please contact me (if you wish) and i will go to said shop and sort it for you!!
This is the kind of situation that started me of in the bussines and it makes my blood boil,you do have recourse.........

Regards

Mark
mgoodhind@calabriaservices.com

Last edited by MarkG on January 18th, 2010, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 9:22 pm 

Go get them....

We did not have these problems as we bought from Domenico, and I know he gets frustrated at times with tradesment etc.
Plumbers are the same everywhere, sorry if you are a plumber. but I could tell you a story or two, a new kitchen and a plug in a bowl, water off, taps turned on, water turned back on.....
slightly off topic, back to the glass of wine and Chuck.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 11:07 pm 

Ionian wrote:
... but I could tell you a story or two, a new kitchen and a plug in a bowl, water off, taps turned on, water turned back on.....

Wow! What happened at the end of this story!?

I'm thinking maybe the bowl filled up?

Report this post
PostPosted: September 30th, 2009, 7:19 am 

yes, the bowl filled up went thru the bathroom carpet, down into the newly fitted decorated kitchen.... The builder was about to break some reinforced/ thick glass over the front door, we were having a new one, I took a crow bar and smashed it into little pieces. They took it down quite easily after that. The builder is a friend and has worked for us again, I smashed a wall down when 6 months pregnant that time, and no one had upset me! Be afraid, very afraid!
Off on the school run now, and it is getting colder and darker every morning. I don't like it.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 2:47 pm 

He brought all our furniture from England and delivered it into out apartment for under £1000, all in perfect condition.

Caroline,

Can you confirm what furniture you had transported for this price. I've been quoted 50% more for the following:

1 bed,2 bedside tables,1 wardrobe,TV stand,sofa-bed,table and chairs and balcony table and chairs?

Cheers,

Jeff

Report this post
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 5:16 pm 

Has anyone drove from England to Calabria?
Thinking of driving a van but wondered if anyone can advise on how long it took and what route they took

Report this post
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 5:27 pm 

Try www.mappy.co.uk

Report this post
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am 

To reply to Kit1; re: route and drive to Calabria - I posted this back in jan 09,

The drive is fine, I have now done it nearly a dozen times, sometimes in car and now many times in a van (with another van trip coming up!).

You have motorway all the way from the M25 in Uk to your turn-off from the A3 in Calabria.
Timing: depends - I have done it in 26 hours non-stop, but usually about 36 hours having a few "in-the-car-naps" on the way (there are a few hotels actually on the motorway (so you do not need to leave the toll roads), but you need to keep your eyes open for them).

Cost: In tolls, depends on route, but I pay €25 in France and €50 in Italy. In fuel: (much cheaper at the moment) I fill my car three times - if you go via Switzerland (which I suggest) try to time it so you get at least one refuel there - it is significantly cheaper! As pointed out last time of post, plus €30 to the good people of Switzerland for a year's permission to use their motorway.

Miles: 1545 miles from Tower Bridge in London to Tropea (add and subtract appropriately)

Route: My route is Calais to Brussels (don't actually go into the city, you are just on the ring road for 10km), back into France, then Luxembourg, then France again, Switzerland, then Italy and motorway all the way.
** Update: I have refined that a bit now, but you need to trick the sat nav (there is probably a button you can push, but this is how I had to do it ...
As you approach Brussels (off about 60 Ks), tell sat nav that you actually want to go to Luxembourg and it finds a great route missing the ring road completely (although that route is fine outside of peak hours). Of course it would be obvious if we looked at a map ... but we don't have those anymore.

Suggest: try to do at least some of the driving through the night, from about midnight to 5 in the morning the trucks get off the road and you can be almost on your own. Watch your speed in Switzerland!.

Hope that helps, PM if you want other info,

Report this post
PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 9:44 pm 

Hi Jeff
Just wondered wether you sorted transportation out for taking your furniture over to San Rocco II??
I have a 1 bed and am looking to send some things over

Hi
jeff46 wrote:
We're in the process of completing at San Rocco 2 aconsidering sourcing furniture in England as everything locally seems rather expensive.

The best transport quote I've received is £1350 but wonder if anyone else is considering doing the same? Ours is only a small 1 bed and I'm sure if we could join forces it would work out more cost effective.

Cheers,

Jeff

Report this post
PostPosted: January 8th, 2010, 3:19 pm 

Can I suggest you contact Billy Cowie to help you with transport, he will look at what he has going when and work it out for you - I can assure you it will be cheaper than taking it yourselves - we looked into all options and Billy was by far the cheapest and most reliable. He is always extremely helpful and fit in with you as and when.

If you need any more information please ask.

Joanne

Report this post
PostPosted: January 12th, 2010, 11:35 am 

I must admit i agree with the first post. When i was back in the UK over Christmas i saw alot of signs in local towns saying 'Buy Local' "Protect your Local Economy". This makes alot of sence

Report this post