A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Air conditioning
PostPosted: December 12th, 2009, 4:35 pm 

Hi,
I am buying a villa in Pizzo Beach and have asked for air conditioning in the living room and three bedrooms.
I have no idea what this should cost but have been quoted a price of 6,000 euros which to me seems high.
Can anyone give me an idea of what I should be paying

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Air conditioning
PostPosted: December 12th, 2009, 5:31 pm 

Hiya

We to have 3 bedroomed apartment with lounge, our builder quoted us 1900 for dual air con and 990 for just cold air con that included 2 internal units one external and installation. Which the builder has assured us is all we need, so I think your 6 grand is steep.

Cheers Diane :)

Report this post
PostPosted: December 12th, 2009, 5:37 pm 

Thanks Diane,
Thought 6k was over the top. Is your place in Pizzo Beach too?
Del

Report this post
PostPosted: December 12th, 2009, 6:46 pm 

No sorry we are buying in Caulonia Collinetta apartments

Cheers Di :)

Report this post
PostPosted: December 12th, 2009, 8:10 pm 

Hi Del - you can compare your quote with the prices of air con on

calabria4homes.com

Don't know anyone who has used this company, however at least it gives you an idea.

Paul

Report this post
PostPosted: December 12th, 2009, 8:54 pm 

Bought a unit from Turco (the electrical shop across from the furniture store)in Campora in June. The unit was under 300Euros and fitted for E150.
Ali

Report this post
PostPosted: December 12th, 2009, 11:59 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Bear in mind the advice elsewhere on the Forum with regards to buying cheaper air con units.
If you buy cheap your electricity running costs could be very high compared to the units which are more expensive but a lot more efficient.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 13th, 2009, 8:03 pm 

Good shout. It depends where you want to use it in your property and the size of room. The main unit we have is more expensive in the living room and is used more heavily. The bedroom units are cheaper because the rooms are smaller and the running times are less. If I lived there all year round I would have spent more.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 14th, 2009, 4:30 pm 

I agree with davidman, it does pay to check the efficiency of any equipment that you are going to install, as the cost of 'second home electricity ' is very steep!! Also, we use our apartment in Mar/April and it can be cold then so the warm air heating is very welcome.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 17th, 2009, 12:23 pm 

Dancing Brave,

Your right and so are the others,6000k is over the top by a long way.

The cost of air-con will depend on your home and budget, look to be paying roughly 1800-2200euro + fitting, for a good AA+ system, (cost will be dependant on make), yes it seems expensive initially but when you take into consideration the cost of electricity here in Italy, it will work out more economical in the long run.
As a example,(dependent on your requirments), you should be looking at a "Tri-system", this would intail,3 internal units at 9000BTU each and one external at 29000BTU,this type of unit would have a built in "inverter" so as to be able to give you hot and cold air,the running cost per anum would work out at roughly 190euros based on normal use.

Dont forget to take into account, that if your renting your home for a income, the "rental client" could (normaly does) leave the unit running all day and night in the summer months,take this into account if your going to be renting your property,it a often overlooked expense thats not incorparated into the rental cost.!!
Some units can have fitted (at extra cost), a sensor that will put the air-con into night mode (turns itself off) this means that if the "rental client" goes out and leaves the unit on flat out,the sensor will pick up no movment in the house and "shut down" and only "tick over",until it detects movment and then "fires" back up.

You can check out various service providers and websites for information also ask others for recommendations as well, as everyone has their own preference and experiance.

Good luck in your endeavour.

Mark Goodhind
www.calabriaservices.com

Report this post
PostPosted: December 17th, 2009, 12:28 pm 

Hiya Mark,

Thanks for the tip about a sensor that is so handy to know, because as you say air con is expensive and you would have to incorporateit into the rental.

Cheers

Diane :)

Report this post
PostPosted: December 17th, 2009, 3:46 pm 

Hi Mark,

Is this sensor something extra that you can buy and have fitted, or do you have to buy a system with it already installed?

Report this post
PostPosted: December 17th, 2009, 4:01 pm 

dgrcgl29 and all,

No they are available as a aftermarket fitment and there are two types available, one is integrated into the existing unit and the other is a standalone type (looks like a intruder box effort).
the cost is 150euro +fitting (approx 50e) for the stand alone or 250 for the intergrated.
the latest models that i supply have the option of a integrated system that’s manufacture fitted and is a integral part of the units, these work out at only 50euro more per internal unit when specified when ordering.

There are presently 4 constructors that do them (that i use and am aware of),Delongi, Ariston, LG, Samsung, there are other independent makes available that you get the sensors fitted as aftermarket at various prices.

Hope that helps

Mark

Report this post
PostPosted: December 17th, 2009, 6:32 pm 

Dancing Brave et al

I paid £1350 for aircon for a 1-bedroomed apartment in Pizzo Beach Club. That's what VFI asked me for and it seemed obligatory as it needed to be fitted before completion. It was for a Hokkaido 'indoor model' and an 'outdoor model', hot and cold. Aircon in supposed to be in livingroom and the bedroom as standard so should I have got 2 internal models (I just did what they said 'cos I hadn't a clue e.g. didn't know why I needed an external model!).

Evie

Report this post