A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 1st, 2009, 2:10 pm 

Hi guys,

As a number of you are will be completing early next year in developments like Pizzo Beach, Fioribello & Borgo Novo etc;

Well I have a top tip for you, if you have not thought of it already, come January when the sales start in the likes of Penny's, Dunnes, M&S etc;
I would advise taking advantage of the sales and stock up on your bed linen and towels. I find the price of linen over here in Calabria can be a bit expensive and the quality does not compare to what you get back home.
To help you with your buying, I have listed the sizes of the mattresses below, double beds over here are a bit bigger than at home.

Single Beds (3 Sizes of beds available)
800 x 1900mm
900 x 1900mm
1200 x 1900mm

Double Beds
1600 x 1900mm

I have sent boxes from Ireland to Calabria, weighing 40KG for €70, delivered right to my door in about 10days. Cheaper than paying Ryanair rates!!!!!!

Best Regards,
Paul

Report this post
PostPosted: December 1st, 2009, 2:18 pm 

I went to Dunelm, reasonable quality etc., if renting the house out don't forget to name tag, the sew on ones are best, I find the iron on comes off.

I found good pillows hard to find, cheap ones in the supermarkets but not that comfy and hot in the summer.

don't forget the hot water bottles either!

Report this post
PostPosted: December 1st, 2009, 4:15 pm 

Thanks for this. As I am hoping to complete in the next few months, I have been thinking about what I will need. A few questions that I have

Is it best to buy duvets or just sheets and blankets? Especially re storage being limited during hot weather.

The quality of pots and pans, cutlery etc?

Single versus double beds.

Your comments gratefully received.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 1st, 2009, 5:10 pm 

Hi Elise,

I would advise a mattress protector, fitted sheet, flat sheet, 2 pillows, 2 pillow cases and a light over blanket per single bed.
If you have a double bed, just increase the pillows to 4 in total.

If your planning on renting, you should have a minimum of 1 backup of everything mentioned above(except pillows) for each bed, if you can manage a backup of 2 in total that would be great, especially for quick turnover in July/August periods.
Also, try and make one section of your wardrobe - lockable, for storing your extra linen.

Pots and pans quality is very good, but again seem very expensive, 24cm tefal pot starts from €14.99 up to as high as €29.99.

If you have a 1 bedroom apartment and plan on renting it out more than using it yourself, then maybe the route to go would be to use 2 single beds. Make sure the surround of the beds are not too thick or wide, so if they are pushed together for use by a couple, they wont seem like they are miles apart while sleeping. You can also purchase a mattress proetector which will join 2 single mattresses into one.
When letting your apartment out, join the beds together, and use the mattress protector joining the beds, if 2 single people rent out your apartment, then they can just move the beds apart.

Thanks
Paul

Elise wrote:
Thanks for this. As I am hoping to complete in the next few months, I have been thinking about what I will need. A few questions that I have

Is it best to buy duvets or just sheets and blankets? Especially re storage being limited during hot weather.

The quality of pots and pans, cutlery etc?

Single versus double beds.

Your comments gratefully received.

Last edited by paulmdonnell on December 2nd, 2009, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 1st, 2009, 5:18 pm 

Thanks for this. We are buying a 3 bed apartment and are buying as a holiday home. However who knows if we may need to go the rental route, with the way the world is going.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 1st, 2009, 6:23 pm 

For all of those who love Ikea there is a new one opening soon in Salerno, but if you really want bargins shop around, not in the 'shopping centres' but the small shops in towns, don't be afraid to ask for a discount, people here are very happy to barter!!........its a great way to introduce yourself to the local community, intergrate, and make friends.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 1st, 2009, 7:12 pm 

I bought my cutlery over here in TK Mexx (not sure if that is the right name) and took some cooking things over, but mainly hit the supermarkets for pot and pans. we are lucky as we take the car over every year, I already have some old plates boxed up, just odds, too good to throw away, and it does not matter if they get broken. I bought matching plates etc., in Calabria.
I have also taken duvets and blankets over.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2009, 1:37 am 

Paulmdonnell Thanks again for your useful tips, especially the mattress sizes. I am surprised at the very reasonable removal cost for the weight of 40kg. Can I ask which removal firm you used ?

Report this post
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2009, 5:45 pm 

No problem Pogson,

On the docket for the items we transported over here, it names the company as Interlink Ireland, tel 00353 90 6420500, head office is in Cp.Westmeath, Ireland.
We went into a branch of theirs in Limerick.
When the van arrived with the goods, written on the side was SDS.
Hope this helps,
Paul

pogson wrote:
Paulmdonnell Thanks again for your useful tips, especially the mattress sizes. I am surprised at the very reasonable removal cost for the weight of 40kg. Can I ask which removal firm you used ?

Report this post
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 12:46 pm 

Hello

To add to what has already been said, we advise our clients to send over their linen and towels and also to buy all season duvets, to cover Spring, Autumn and Winter, when you really do need them. They look so much better than blankets and when not in use you can put them into vac pac bags so that storage is not a problem. Of course, in the Summer you will just need sheets. Proper duvets are very hard to find over here so you will also need to send the covers.

If you google to find the cheapest courier service, you will find it can be surprisingly cheap and I would definately not rely on the Italian postal service.

Our clients send the parcels to us and it is then waiting in their apartments. We have never had a problem to date. I would also recommend bringing over a decent quality knife set and utensils, as they are stupid prices for quality here, especially if you can get your things in TK Max.

PM me if you want any more info.

Sue

Report this post