A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Barclays Bank
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 12:50 pm 

First point is that you can open an account in Italy without visiting the branch. The procedure is as follows,
Contact Barclays Italy on one of the e-mail addresses below and tell them you want to open an account.They will want a copy of your passport and Codice Fiscale.
You will be asked to make an appointment in a local English Barclays branch so that at a pre-determined time the Italian branch will fax some documents to your English branch which you will sign in the UK branch in front of one of their staff. They have then witnessed it. This is then posted back to Italy and you will receive your cheque book, cards etc through the post.
Here is a problem I encountered after I had opened both accounts.
When I contacted Barclays in Italy to open an account I was told that to transfer money from my UK Barclays account to my Italian account would be fee free. My local branch disagreed and so I showed them my Italian info and they phoned various people but could not confirm that this is the case. :evil:
Today :o I have spoken to the correct person who has confirmed this is the case. I have to fill in a registration form and then they will do it over the phone :D At last !!
A few contacts for you all;

Barclays contact in Italy (Speaks English) Valentina.Angiolini@barclays.it
Same Bank ,different contact Fabrizio.Sturani@barclays.it
UK Registration for fee free transfers 08450701748 or 08450452822
Smart Currency ( Currency exchange) lynsey@smartcurrencyechange.com
The last one is a currency exchange company who offer better rates for currency than the banks ( for people who don't know about these companies)
Hope this is of use :D :D

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Barclays Bank
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 1:54 pm 

Hi Yorhylad
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Do you get on line access to check accounts, trans money etc.
Allen

Report this post
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 1:56 pm 

Hi
Sorry that should have been Yorkylad. Failed the typing course :?
Allen

Report this post
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 2:18 pm 

Hi

Barclays Italy has online access and once you have logged on everything is in English. I have successfully transferred sterling from Barclays UK, via Barclays overseas, to my Italian Barclays bank and paid the builder for extras via my online Barclays account. Any queries re doing anything were promptly answered by an English speaking contact, via email, from Barclays Italy.

Cheers
Elise

Report this post
PostPosted: July 31st, 2009, 2:21 pm 

Yes, Elise is correct.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 31st, 2009, 5:35 pm 

Hi
Thanks for that. Worth considering changing my Italian bank. The one I have in Rocello does everything in Italian and no Internet access.
Allen

Report this post
PostPosted: July 31st, 2009, 7:40 pm 

There is extensive information regarding Barclays accounts in the main post under banking, etc.

There is also some information on opening a post office account in Italy, which is said to be easier to open, and can be used to pay utility bills.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 2:24 pm 

Maybe it is me....

Followed the advice offered in this thread and have been so impressed with my Italian contact in Barclays Milano. Responding quicker than I can make a cuppa, she outlined the process perfectly and explained the 2 accounts available. We sent all our prerequisite information off ready to make an appointment at my local branch. This is where my problems began.....
Firstly, in common with most banks you cannot just call your local branch anymore, it goes to an Indian call centre. I am not a Barclays account holder (you don't need to be) but first you have to navigate through the call tree and evntually you end with a human, in my case 15 minutes to reach this point. Outlining my request to the real voice I end up spelling the word Milan, maybe it is my accent, lapses into mockney sometimes I know. Anyways, an appointment request is sent to my local branch and they are supposed to phone me back within 2 hours I was informed. Not sure what value is being added at this point but this is the process...
After 2 days nothing so I called and went through the same process again...The branch inform me they don't have branches in Italy...excuse me...eventually an appointment today at 10.00 with my wife. We both took time off work to attend.
A bewildered lady welcomed us and explained she had recieved a fax containing 56 pages. Each page had to be signed by both parties and stamped before posting originals to Italy. So we start the process, entering us on the system...bit of problem, you don't have an account...after 25 minutes she finally turns to us and says. I cannot do this anyway the contract is in Italian and I cannot sign!!
I did explain that I know of many buyers that have managed to execute this process without having an Italian translator!
I have filed a complaint with the branch manager, but really it is falling on deaf ears.
So the documents now sit with Barclays head office legal dept awaiting clearance for them to sign.

Probably should have applied the 24 hr rule before posting this cos I still have the dying embers of a rant on....

New appointment next Thursday, hope my blood pressure subsides by then!

Oh, to be in Italy...

Cheers

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 3:01 pm 

My mortgage advisor told me that Barclays will open an account for me once the mortgage is sorted so I'm expecting it to be an easier process. But time will tell....

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 5:44 pm 

I'm sure our paperwork was in English that we signed at our local Barclays branch.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 6:32 pm 

im in the process of opening a barclays account in milan,via belfast and i can say that the staff have been nothing other than totally professional and very helpful. hope to have it all concluded next tuesday :D

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 9:00 pm 

As a postscript to my earlier whinge....
Shortly after posting I had a call from the Barclays Milan Manager apologising for the problems (maybe he read the thread!). I was embarressed because it was the UK part of the process that broke. I stressed I was more than happy with Barclays Milan's efforts. As token compensation he offered me an invite to the "la Dolce Vita" show in Islington next month, bless him....

Cheers

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 9:22 pm 

If there is one thing in life that you should not do, it is to open an account with Barclays in Italy. This is how strong I feel about this.

I had no problems at all opening the account, with my Barclays Premier manager in the UK speaking with Barclays in Milan. The problems started once the account was open.

My issues stem from a total lack of response to a couple of simple questions to the relationship manager. After chasing for answers I made a complaint, two months later I got a response 'stating that customer service is a priority' and that I should contact my branch in milan.

I can't see why anyone would want to pay EUR 9 per month (plus lots of other fees that you can't even ask about) for a Barclays account in Italy, honestly even if they were to pay you to have an account it is more trouble than it is worth. I have asked them to close my account but yet not had a respnse back, no doubt this will take a couple of months.

I am now in the process of moving my UK and Euro account to handelsbanken, they offer a very personal service with accounts in lots of currencies (including £ and EUR). see http://www.handelsbanken.co.uk

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 10:15 pm 

I would like to pass on my very good experience so far with Barclays Milan, my account was opened at my local branch in the uk, all the paperwork was sent for a certain day, i spoke to an english speaking guy over the telephone in Milan from my branch, so he was able to talk me and the uk staff member through the forms. I received a debit card, pin and cheque book, could have had credit card if id wanted. I got all the information required to set up internet banking which once in is easy to view my account. I can email or telephone my contact in Milan and so far service is excellent.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 6th, 2010, 10:53 am 

We have been having a bit of a nightmare to, we have been trying to open an account with Barclays Italy since about Septmber last year!!!! They keep saying they havent recieved our documents or parts of the stuff we have sent them. We have had to visit our nearest branch which is a half hour drive away 3 times to sign and fax forms. Last night we got an email from our contact saying her fax machine doesnt accept international faxes, this is after we had sent documents through to her 3 times!!! I dont know how faxes work but if you fax something through internationally does it not mean that you can recieve them also?? This is over and above the original signed ones we have had to sign verify and send through twice.
Am beginning to regret this whole process from start to not yet finished!!! :( :(

Report this post
PostPosted: February 6th, 2010, 9:44 pm 

We have nothing but praise for Barclays Milan (including the mortgage). We do not, however feel the same about UK. We just could not get anyone to sort our account here.

In the end we called in in Milan when we were driving down to Calabria - our relationship manager waited til 8pm to see us. Try taht with anyone over here!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 6th, 2010, 10:52 pm 

dmbt54 wrote:
We have nothing but praise for Barclays Milan (including the mortgage). We do not, however feel the same about UK. We just could not get anyone to sort our account here.

In the end we called in in Milan when we were driving down to Calabria - our relationship manager waited til 8pm to see us. Try taht with anyone over here!

I must admit I used Barclays Milan to mortgage my property in Bergamotto and to open a Barclays current account,I found them very helpful and professional throughout the whole process.
At no stage could I find fault with them.
They answered all enquiries and questions I put to them within 24hrs,I suppose they are like any business it does depend who you speak to.
I hope you get there in the end gaznaz if you need any help you have my e-mail address-davidsharlene@hotmail.com give me an e-mail and I will pass on the staff member that assisted me!

Good luck

David :wink:

Report this post
PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 2:27 pm 

Sadly
I have had endless frustration with Barclays
I now have an account set up and my electric bill is paid by direct debit but everything has been a problem with no reply to emails, continually being told they didn't receive documents we sent and then after about 5 emails and weeks they find them this was repeated in all aspects of the setting up process .
I need information on other things e.g. progressive account and I have sent 5 emails over a period of 5 weeks and I have also emailed Sandra who was recommended on the forum she responds very well but just keep emailing my contact Laura who ignores all . :?
Also they charged me 66 euros for 4 months just to have the account I think it is very steep fee .
sorry :( for the moan but it is frustrating and especially when others seem to receive good service
I wonder is it laura my point of contact that is the problem even when we tried to open the account she did not reply until I sent about 5 emails and it took 2 months to get it opened.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 2:51 pm 
For Barclays Italy accounts try emailing Laura Antoniotti, Relationship Manager on

Laura.Antoniotti@barclays.it
always cc to
milano.turati@barclays.it

Tele 0039 02 63786623
Fax 0039 02 63786629

Report this post

PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 3:12 pm 

Went back today to sign the documents in my local branch. The progressive account contract is only available in Italian apparently so the manager had spent time upfront verifying what he was signing by phoning Milan before we arrived. The manager took personal responsibility and we were done (had to sign about 10 times) in about 10 minutes. This left enough time to discuss the Chelsea defeat and Palace's (my team) demise...

Obviously the account is not set-up yet, we have not deposited anything and we have no cards but feel a step closer.

Cheers

Report this post
PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 8:08 pm 

Opening the account is the easy part, I had no problems with this part at all.

The real problems started for me, when dealing with the people in Italy. I am now battling to try and get my account closed.

My advise is still to only use Barclays as a last resort.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 9:29 pm 

i went in to close a bank account in october and was told i could not close my account and take my money out until March when i am next back in town....after watching the mafia hunter programme last night i now understand why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 15th, 2010, 3:46 pm 

I am not sure whether to be terrified or frustrated about my hard earned money being siphoned by Barclays, but I am sorry I got involved with Barclays .
Laura is my contact but she doesn't do contact :) except after 5 emails and 6 weeks later she emails to tell me she is busy and has a meeting- then silence again :roll:
A very long meeting.
Pamela

Report this post
PostPosted: February 15th, 2010, 6:23 pm 

if you think thats bad, how about this one. i completed, and the balance due took barclays over 1 month to deposit into my barclays account. i was charged interest from day 1 of completion...how thye can charge me interest on money i had yet to receive is beyond my business sense... but try getting it sorted. met a dead end and no answers!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 15th, 2010, 7:40 pm 

After no response to simply emails I made a complaint.

It took them two months to respond and when they did all they said was to contact the person I was complaining about. They also said that customer service was a priority, hence the two months to respond to a complaint and no respond to a normal email!!!

In between the two months waiting for a response from Barclays in Italy I contacted Barclays in London. Not much more help but in the end they said they would pass the issue to a senior person in Italy. I now have the original relationship manager emailing me agruing that she did respond to emails. To me this is not appropriate action to resolve matters, all I wanted was an apology and assurance that for EUR 9 I would receive a response to a rare email.

I have asked for evidence of the emails being responded to but all I really want to do is close the account. Even closing the account is a complete nightmare.

DO NOT OPEN A BARCLAYS ACCOUNT

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2010, 11:04 pm 

When we started out, we had Fabrizio Sturani who was brilliant. We have also, recently, had issues with replies from Laura. However, I believe that the most senior name at the branch is:~

"Cecchetti Marco Luca" <MarcoLuca.Cecchetti@barclays.it>

and we had more success!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 17th, 2010, 12:12 pm 

des11 wrote:
When we started out, we had Fabrizio Sturani who was brilliant. We have also, recently, had issues with replies from Laura. However, I believe that the most senior name at the branch is:~

"Cecchetti Marco Luca" <MarcoLuca.Cecchetti@barclays.it>

and we had more success!

Laura has replied to my emails as late as 6.30 PM, presumably from her home at that time...
The problems I have had are more to do with a lack of understanding of the Italian banking system and terminology as operated by Barclays and my (notorious) ability to lock myself out of internet access...
If Barlays Italia could produce an Inglese Dummies guide to banking in Italy, I am sure most difficulties and frustrations would be avoided.
Annie

Report this post
PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 9:56 pm 

An update.

Just returned from la Dolce Vita show in the Angel. Barclays have a stand there along with some other familar names VFI, Calabria Dreams etc.
The Milan branch manager had arranged to meet me there and try and set-up the new account. My previous attempt is out there in the ether (from a data protection standpoint concerning).
Have to say that yet again Italy going the extra mile in trying to assist....
The show itself did not have many stands but there was a good atmosphere...

Cheers

Report this post
PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 12:00 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Bergaking,
Went to the show myself on Friday evening at the preview of the show.. Barclays couldn't help me with my queries regarding English translations for the charges they debit me but were helpful.
Nice lot of foodie stalls and managed to find some Nduja which was confiscated from me at Lamezia when I came through a couple of trips ago!!
Saw the Rosetta Stone Language Software company stand. I was impressed with what they showed me. Definitely going to purchase this to help me learn Italian. Noticed that Calabria Region had a very big stall promoting the area.
Saw a good stand "Italy Lettings" regarding the advertising of properties and management of properties in Calabria. They do a free commission based package as well as a payment for advertising properties (with no commission). If anyone wants their web domain please contact me.
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: March 17th, 2010, 7:32 pm 

I am trying to organise a transfer of money from my Barclays Bank UK to Barclays Italy account. I used to be able to ring a tel no and it was done by Barclays Buying Abroad department. The number no longer works and cannot find any info on google or trying Barclays help no's. As I don't want to use the expensive UK bank transfer system has anyone else found how we can do this?

Cheers
Elise

Report this post
PostPosted: March 17th, 2010, 10:02 pm 

Elise

The barclays number you wanted is 0845 070 1748

lorica

Report this post
PostPosted: March 17th, 2010, 10:47 pm 

I got best rates with www.fairfx.com (related to Newcastle Building Society). You negotiate the rate, transfer your money to their UK bank (which happens to be Barclays, so is same day); they transfer to Barclays Italy - also same day. Rates are good - good to deal with - also look at their pre-load Mastercards for good rates.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 17th, 2010, 10:56 pm 

Thanks Lorica. I will try this in the morning.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 5:14 pm 

Hi,

Has anyone managed to set up a payment on their Barclays online account. I need to pay someone in Italy and (eventually) have managed to set them up as a beneficiary but there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to then pay them as when I click on them it just brings up their details and gives me to chance to change them rather than pay them!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Liz

Report this post
PostPosted: May 21st, 2010, 11:37 am 

You need to set up a dispositive password to send money email them for instructions you can do it on the website

Report this post
PostPosted: May 21st, 2010, 2:29 pm 

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for that but have set up the payment password when I first set the account up - it's just I don't seem to have any functionality on how to make a payment, only to set up beneficiaries. Perhaps I'm being a bit slow - do you know what screen you do it in as I only seem to have a choice of "credit transfers abroad" or "record of beneficiaries" under the payments tab.

Thanks

Liz

Report this post
PostPosted: May 21st, 2010, 2:51 pm 

Hi Liz

We did this recently and it worked fine - if you are paying someone in Italy online you want credit transfers abroad. Any problems just PM me and I'll try to help.

Regards

Phil.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 3:58 pm 

Magic thanks - tried it today and it seemed to work just fine (maybe?!).

At least I don't feel like a debt risk anymore!

Thanks

Liz

Report this post
PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 5:07 pm 

My experience with Barclays Milan branch was in the first instance very good, however after many attempts to get a CASH CARD OR CHEQUE BOOK that worked, was Impossible, despite many many months and many many phone calls and many reassurances that every thing was ok, only to go to the cash point in Italy yet again and find card not working. I gave up ,now have someone paying all my Italian bills who i reimberse on my regular visits. I find this so much easier and as it happens a little cheaper than paying my bills thro the bank.During this time they had thousands of my euros in my account that i could not access, untill i transfered it out and closed the account, which also took MONTHS.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 5:35 pm 

Hi Liz

Glad it worked for you, I have noticed that unlike online banking here the debit doesn't show on your account until the day after. We've found Barclays Italy to be really helpful and having online access is much better than receiving statements that made no sense at all from our previous Italian Bank.

Regards

Phil.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2010, 10:37 am 

pgreenman wrote:
After no response to simply emails I made a complaint.

It took them two months to respond and when they did all they said was to contact the person I was complaining about. They also said that customer service was a priority, hence the two months to respond to a complaint and no respond to a normal email!!!

In between the two months waiting for a response from Barclays in Italy I contacted Barclays in London. Not much more help but in the end they said they would pass the issue to a senior person in Italy. I now have the original relationship manager emailing me agruing that she did respond to emails. To me this is not appropriate action to resolve matters, all I wanted was an apology and assurance that for EUR 9 I would receive a response to a rare email.

I have asked for evidence of the emails being responded to but all I really want to do is close the account. Even closing the account is a complete nightmare.

DO NOT OPEN A BARCLAYS ACCOUNT

Barclay's seem to have poor customer service wherever you go :evil:

Report this post
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2010, 3:08 pm 

I had same frustrations and I gave up in the end just let it go and accept the situation.

Report this post