A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GBPEUR 20 month high!
PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 2:19 pm 

Hello all,

A quick note to let you know that GBPEUR has reached a 20 month high, with the market currently trading at 1.2250.

This is thanks to some recent data showing signs of improvement in the UK economy and reduced expectations that the Bank of England will expand their quantitative easing programme.

This strength to Sterling is paired with concerns about political stability in Holland and France, further fears about the economy in the euro zone and the debt of peripheral countries in the EMU.

Get in touch if you'd like more information on how to save money on your international money transfers. PM me or email clare.allen@halofinancial.com.

Many thanks,
Clare

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 7:44 pm 

Clare

Sorry but I have mislead info that you gave me previously.

You quote 1.22 I have been wth another Foreign Exchange Dealer and today they were giving 1.20 no commission

Yours seems the better deal but are there any extras?

I need to send some money over before the end of the month.

Thanks
mags

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 8:07 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Mags,
The 1.2250 quoted was the market rate. You never get that with FX companies. They have to make something on the service they provide and the best ones I have seen usually take 0.02 or there abouts off the current market rate at that time.
I have found that the small independent FX shops in Praed Street in Paddington give very good rates for cash. Today I got a rate of 1.21 to change £1000, the market rate was 1.22. They don't have the cost to wire the money to my account in Italy and they have the cash immediatly.
I will only use the FX companies when I need to send money to my Italian bank account for my bills etc.
davidnam

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 8:24 pm 

Thanks David

I suppose that it's understandable that FX companies have got to make their share.

We are a bit far away from Paddington but am sure that there's something similar up here in Scotland.

At the moment though we are still sending money out to our bank account in Calabria to get our house finished.

mags

PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 4:01 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
The GBP / Euro rate the best it's been since I purchased in Oct 2008 at 1.24 - 1.25.
Some commentators have predicted it could go to 1.28!
With Greece in turmoil and now Spanish government part nationalising by taking a 45% stake in Bankia a large Spanish Bank, it could go the way of Ireland and the country requiring an influx of funds.
This helps all those Sterling based persons with Euro mortgages and those with Euribor linked mortgages. The one month Euribor has hit a new low of 0.397 in the the last couple of days.
davidnam

PostPosted: May 17th, 2012, 1:09 pm 

has anyone any thoughts as to what will happen should the eurozone break up and you have a euro mortgage?

PostPosted: May 17th, 2012, 1:57 pm 

Still unlikely, aside of Greece maybe, but your financial contracts will be handled by an equivalence clause, that is debt and assets are converted to an equivalent (currency) at the single point of conversion (prior to any devaluation). Similarly any index link, like Euribor, would re-index to a national treasury rate.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2012, 2:50 pm 

I have decided not to worry about the euro. I cannot change what the politicians bankers do so hey ho. Just pray it does not affect the pound in a negative way I shall worry about it when and if it happens until then enjoy the sunshine. It is not raining today but cold

If the euro continues to fall I would try and pay a bit more off the mortgage? The economists will be able to tell us if that is the right thing to do. But did they not get us in the mess in the first place?

PostPosted: May 18th, 2012, 9:40 am 

Hi Ionion,

I agree, are you in Badolato today?

I am in isca from tomorrow and wondered what the weather was like?

PostPosted: May 18th, 2012, 1:18 pm 

No unfortunately,we go out mon 9 July. Flying so no Volvo to look out for this year

Friends pictures taken a few days ago on terrace up on village show it warm sunny