A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 21st, 2012, 10:34 am 

Location: Saline Joniche,near Melito di porto salvo/Northampton
So,

we are planning to head down to our holiday villa in Saline Ioniche, Reggio Calabria next summer by car. (I know its some time off, but looking to get the arrangements booked).

Anyway i have driven down many years ago back in the 90's with my parents and need to work out toll costs driving the length of italy so i can figure out the cost of the trip.

Having done some research i have planned to drive from Calais to Luxembourg, then on to Mulhouse - Basel - Lucerne and then into Italy.
From what i gather i can get away with paying only the Swiss 40euro toll driving this route.

So i am not too sure what the toll cost will be driving the length of italy given i havent done this for many years.

Will be driving a passat diesel so i know we will be ok on the fuel front.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2012, 5:26 pm 

We take the ferry from genoa to Palermo which is an overnight trip arriving Pprox 3pm. If you book far enough in advance sometimes get car for 1 euro if book cabin

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2012, 11:01 am 

Hi

If you wish to drive all the way, you could consider taking the DFDS ferry to Dunkirk from Dover and then driving through Luxembourg, (fuel is cheap at the motorway service stations in Luxembourg). If you put the route into AA Route Planner with the appropriate via's it gives you a route which mostly avoids the expensive French motorway tolls. You can also obtain in advance the annual Swiss carnet to drive on their motorways from the Swiss Raiway Centre in London to save you time at the border. One other factor to consider is that if you get to the St Gothard Tunnel at peak time it can take several hours to actually get into the tunnel. As far as the Italian Tolls go there are no tolls from Salerno to Reggio.

I have also travelled the via the ferry to Palermo, which can be nice and relaxing and in my opinion the refreshments tend to be expensive and opening times are short, however to get to Genoa can involve expensive French motorway tolls, long waits at the tunnel, unless you go round the corner via Monte Carlo.

Good luck in which ever route you select

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 2:58 pm 

thanks for the replies

PostPosted: January 12th, 2013, 9:35 pm 

TonyS,
There is also the possibility of taking the Grimaldi freighter ferry from Southampton direct to Salerno and then driving the last 250 miles or so...If you cost the trip properly to factor in car fuel, tolls, food, wear and tear on vehicle, tyres etc., cross-channel ferry and overnight accommodation, there is little in it.
It does take 6 days though, so is not suitable if you are on a tight schedule.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2013, 10:13 pm 

Do you have a web address the only one we found was expensive went from Bristol via Scandinavia
Thanks

PostPosted: January 13th, 2013, 1:12 pm 

Ionian wrote:
Do you have a web address the only one we found was expensive went from Bristol via Scandinavia
Thanks

Hi Ionian,
We booked through Cruise Cyprus and travelled in 2009: http://www.cruisecyprus.com/
On Home page click on: [b]'Click for ferry crossings Limassol, Italy the UK + many other European ports[/b]'.
This gives you: 'Grimaldi Freighter Cruises'.
On southbound journeys note: 'From Welham or Anterwerpen or Southampton to Salerno -6-9 days cost code EM2'
(The costing and times do not seem to have been updated from 2012 as yet and are given as €373/pax + €376 car [Inside cabin with full board])

Try also: http://www.grimaldi-freightercruises.co ... nglish.pdf

This gives the 2013 prices as €395/pax + €395 car. (= For 2 people + car, total cost Southampton/Salerno as just under £1000 [@ 1.20 €/£])

In the alternative, driving all the way, based on the AA's average running costs for a cheaper smaller car with a 15k/pa mileage of 40p/mile the 1145 miles from Le Havre to Salerno would cost £458.00. Plus tolls @ say £100, plus cross-channel ferry for 2 pax + car say £100, plus food & snacks on journey @ say £120 (Allow £20/pp/day x 3 days) plus say £160 motels (2 nights @ £80) = £938 total.

(Interestingly, if, as many people wrongly do, you ignore your car's standing and maintenance costs in making the calculations, Google maps still reckons you will spend £220 in fuel from Le Havre to Salerno.)

Obviously the cost depends on how far you like to drive each day and the level of comfort you want.

Note: You can't load your car at Bristol, it has to be Southampton and the return freighter journey (Salerno/Southampton) is via Esjberg, DK taking longer and costing more.

The above only focusses on cost but there are several advantages in taking the Grimaldi freighter cruise.
One is that you eat in the officers' mess and as they are Italian you get the chance to live in a true (i.e. non-tourist) Italian environment for a few days. (The crew are Filipino so also speak English).
The second is that we were on the bridge as the ship passed through the Straits of Gibraltar. Wonderful sight to see the lights of Africa and Europe at the same time with a clear sea ahead.
Finally, there were many lifeboat and anti-pirate drills. So we now have a working knowledge of how to fend off pirates with high pressure hoses!

PostPosted: January 13th, 2013, 5:42 pm 

Thanks. Interesting figures on cost. Will point it out to husband although we are taking our dog this year and no dogs allowed.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 11:46 am 

Ionian,
As an experiment, write down ALL your travelling expenses on your trip down, (including fuel as if you were starting with an empty tank), ferry, road tolls, accommodation and all food, coffees etc.).
Let me know how much it totals from your home. I think you will be surprised (and begin to appreciate Ryanair!)

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 11:55 am 

... offset by 5 weeks car hire in summer from Lamezia.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 2:32 pm 

I do appreciate Ryan air and the direct route but not the experience! Stansted is not an easy place for us to fly from takes the best part of a day to get to. I have it sorted. Husband drives down,I fly! After I have to sit thru school speech day and pews are not comfy for 2.30 hrs so that evens us out. We then all drive ferry home and stop somewhere on the way back for a couple of days so we see somewhere different. Leonardo davinci home last time.
Airline Prices are actually nearly on par nowadays althou have to change planes but you do have a free luggage allowance, which we will use at Easter.
We use a car to go down so we can see more of Europe and take things down ie our infamous 4 poster bed.
I expect we will fly Ryanair in the summer no luggage required

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 11:23 pm 

gsullymorgan wrote:
... offset by 5 weeks car hire in summer from Lamezia.

Go native!
Use the autobus...
Take a train...
Pretend you are (Sir) Bradley Wiggins and ride a bike up the slight slope to Badolato Superiore!

PostPosted: January 15th, 2013, 2:39 pm 

;;;or pretend you are lance armstrong and get there in double quick time!!!

PostPosted: January 15th, 2013, 8:26 pm 

Slight. You jest sir!
It is actually a common site to see idio...sorry athletes cycling up to the village. Must mad. The bus is quite regular. As we go for a long time we like to explore where buses do not go and I am not cycling

PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 10:19 pm 

I have driven down 3 times in the past couple of years and my favourite route was to go by North sea ferries from Hull as this goes overnight and you disembark around 9.30am the following morning I then drove through Belgium Luxemburg back through France Switzerland then on to Italy this way I could get to Milan by midnight there are 2 tolls to pay in Italy one to Milan and the next from Milan to Naples this one costs around 70€ but it does go 2/3rds the length of Italy. I personally do not stop overnight other than to pull up for a hour or twos rest (not for the faint hearted ) I can then get to Caulonia in around 28 hours fron the ferry

PostPosted: February 1st, 2013, 2:15 pm 

Arghhhh. Flying stansted route Easter. Cheapest but no baggage.
Will make a note of expenses taking car down this summer. This does not include the cost of a new car?

PostPosted: February 1st, 2013, 10:33 pm 

Really admire those of you who consider driving . Heading off on Monday, the longest most boring way when flying . Edinburgh to Stansted then a few hours in Radisson Hotel for 6 am flight to Lamezia.
Husband not up to sitting all night in airport.
Will comment on weather when we are there as long as we can buy dongle to give us access to internet.
Also planning to buy a wee car when there as we have spent a fortune on hires in the past.
Ionian... see you at Easter?
mags

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 1:53 am 

Wow - never knew just how expensive driving there is!

Ionian - I'd love details of the bus service to Badolato superiore, if possible. Just in the Summer time or all year round?

Thanks,
Teapot.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 5:15 pm 

Bus service all year round to Badolato. It is for the locals not tourists

Mags that would be lovely. We fly on Sunday 24 to 5 April return come over for the madonna

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 5:50 pm 

Ionian wrote:
the stripping madonna

I am no prude, but that sounds blasphemous!

Where and when? ;-).

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 6:24 pm 

Sunday when he rises. They run towards each other madonna is in black dress when she see Jesus the dress turns miraculously to white bbit is stripped off in a wink of an eye. must be seen

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 12:19 am 

Ionian wrote:
Bus service all year round to Badolato. It is for the locals not tourists

Thanks Ionian. This made me laugh out loud! :D :lol: I thought local buses were usually summertime only. How do you define a local bus?

Mrs Teapot

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 11:05 am 

When the driver knows most people on his bus and sits under the tree by the bar fosse waiting for his departure time talking to the locals.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 4:57 pm 

Ionian wrote:
When the driver knows most people on his bus and sits under the tree by the bar fosse waiting for his departure time talking to the locals.

I've forgotten the name of the woman who runs Bar Fosse...Do you know it Ionian?

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 8:09 pm 

Ionian wrote:

ah-ha. Sounds lovely for the locals.
Mrs Teapot
(one of the many on here who lost out in the Italian property fiasco's and is clearly a tourist. )

PostPosted: February 5th, 2013, 7:20 pm 

Hi Mags,
Have the rules changed to allow non residents to own a car or are you moving , lock stock and barrel. If so I envy you.
It never made sense to me that you can buy a house as a non resident but not a car. If anyone can enlighten me ,I would appreciate.
Grumpy

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 10:36 am 

AnnieandPauline wrote:
Ionian wrote:
Thanks

Hi Ionian,
We booked through Cruise Cyprus and travelled in 2009: http://www.cruisecyprus.com/
On Home page click on: [b]'Click for ferry crossings Limassol, Italy the UK + many other European ports[/b]'.
This gives you: 'Grimaldi Freighter Cruises'.
On southbound journeys note: 'From Welham or Anterwerpen or Southampton to Salerno -6-9 days cost code EM2'
(The costing and times do not seem to have been updated from 2012 as yet and are given as €373/pax + €376 car [Inside cabin with full board])

Try also: http://www.grimaldi-freightercruises.co ... nglish.pdf

This gives the 2013 prices as €395/pax + €395 car. (= For 2 people + car, total cost Southampton/Salerno as just under £1000 [@ 1.20 €/£])

In the alternative, driving all the way, based on the AA's average running costs for a cheaper smaller car with a 15k/pa mileage of 40p/mile the 1145 miles from Le Havre to Salerno would cost £458.00. Plus tolls @ say £100, plus cross-channel ferry for 2 pax + car say £100, plus food & snacks on journey @ say £120 (Allow £20/pp/day x 3 days) plus say £160 motels (2 nights @ £80) = £938 total.

(Interestingly, if, as many people wrongly do, you ignore your car's standing and maintenance costs in making the calculations, Google maps still reckons you will spend £220 in fuel from Le Havre to Salerno.)

Obviously the cost depends on how far you like to drive each day and the level of comfort you want.

Note: You can't load your car at Bristol, it has to be Southampton and the return freighter journey (Salerno/Southampton) is via Esjberg, DK taking longer and costing more.

The above only focusses on cost but there are several advantages in taking the Grimaldi freighter cruise.
One is that you eat in the officers' mess and as they are Italian you get the chance to live in a true (i.e. non-tourist) Italian environment for a few days. (The crew are Filipino so also speak English).
The second is that we were on the bridge as the ship passed through the Straits of Gibraltar. Wonderful sight to see the lights of Africa and Europe at the same time with a clear sea ahead.
Finally, there were many lifeboat and anti-pirate drills. So we now have a working knowledge of how to fend off pirates with high pressure hoses!

This is an interesting option, its just a shame it will take 6 days, otherwise i would say it would be well worth doing. Does it stop off anywhere close to central italy, so you can jump off the ferry and continue the journey apart from salerno?

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 8:41 pm 

Quote:
This is an interesting option, its just a shame it will take 6 days, otherwise i would say it would be well worth doing. Does it stop off anywhere close to central Italy, so you can jump off the ferry and continue the journey apart from salerno?

There is a scheduled stop at Savona but only on the way back (i.e. on the northern run after Salerno)...The ships deliver vehicles on a circular run from Esjberg, DK to Ashod, Israel with stops in Egypt, Turkey & Cyprus...

PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 9:19 pm 

One thing that has to be taken into account if traveling from southampton to salerno is that it is primarily a cargo ship (i may give it a go someday) and they are not immune to the odd problem or two, cargo is priority over passengers.

scroll down the page on the link
http://www.shipwrecklog.com/log/page/6/#

this month the Grimmaldi lines vessel Grande Nigeria runs aground.

The 214 meter long, 26169 dwt Con-Ro cargo vessel Grande Nigeria allided with an embankment at Le Havre, France. The Grande Nigeria was departing the harbour bound for Dakar when a strong gust of pushed the vessel onto the embankment. A few hours later, four tugs were able to pull the vessel back into port. No reports of injuries, damage or pollution released

dups

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 10:25 am 

dups wrote:
One thing that has to be taken into account if traveling from southampton to salerno is that it is primarily a cargo ship (i may give it a go someday) and they are not immune to the odd problem or two, cargo is priority over passengers.

The fact that it is a cargo ship makes it more of an adventure. The common language and culture is Italian. Entertainment is self-made apart from the excitement of almost daily lifeboat and/or anti-piracy drills. We were also allowed onto the bridge at times.
Above all it is relaxing, very relaxing, compared to driving on the auto routes/bahns/stradas of France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy.

No ship is immune from problems whether designated for cargo or passengers. For example, last year's Costa Concordia disaster, the Thomson Majesty lifeboat deaths in the Canaries a few weeks ago and the very recent Carnival Triumph's catastrophic engine failure in the Gulf of Mexico.

We think the Southampton/Salerno cargo ferry is a fair alternative method of taking our car to Calabria.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 5:33 pm 

It sounds a good idea. May give it a go one day.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 7:35 pm 

OR we could buy a new summer collection fiat 500 and drive ALL the way ???!!! (See the advert)

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 11:28 pm 

Ionian wrote:
OR we could buy a new summer collection fiat 500 and drive ALL the way ???!!! (See the advert)

Outside Bar Fosse sunny but cold in wind this pm Ionian...

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 4:41 pm 

Cold here too. No sun today warnings of down to -6. This weekend. Have filled wood basket.
Not too many of their g & t or you will not make the bends on the way down

PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 4:50 pm 

We do this three times a year from the North West to Northern Calabria 1600m each way. Not necessarily the cheapest, but after 5 years our preference is:~
Tunnel - about £130 for early out, late return
Hotel - £90 one night Luzern (HI Express), outbound only (drive and snooze coming back)
Route - France (follow satnav, Rheims, then to Basel)

Yes, costs more in French Tolls this route and tunnel costs: and you can save crossing by going DFDS to Dunkirk and save French tolls.... But it is 50 miles longer - makes a difference to solo driver.
I reckon £1000 return including tunnel, hotel one way, French tolls, and annual breakdown, plus Green card (diesel 44mpg holiday average). Do as much night driving as possible

Also just got the Sanef and Autostrada Telepasses - brilliant....

PostPosted: July 21st, 2013, 6:05 pm 

We've just arrived ( an hour ago) after a much more gentle journey. This time it included a couple of history GCSE days but even normally we will stop 3 nights down to Genoa, one night on the ferry and one night outside Palermo. (Last night the ferry was 6 hours late getting in).

Even with that number of overnights it's about 400 miles a day, which is probably enough for safety and stress.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2013, 12:14 pm 

We have never driven down to Calabria but I would like to perhaps next year.
We were thinking of taking 3 overnight stops on the way. Can anyone suggest a route (not too many toll roads) and some reasonably priced hotels on the way.
Thanks
Gailmore

PostPosted: July 25th, 2013, 4:31 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Gailmore,
I travelled by car a couple of years ago and found hotels.com very useful for hotels with a range of prices.
It.s worth stopping off and stay 2 nights in Pompeii to see the ruins there and at Herrculaneum.
This should be your last stop before getting to Calabria and you must also take a look at the Amalfi coast with it's beautiful views and coastline.
davidnam

PostPosted: July 26th, 2013, 9:45 am 

Various routes taken by people on here. It starts with where you do! We have to drive from the welsh borders so that is an overnight stop more than people who live in London area for example and we use the genoa/Palermo ferry as an overnight. So really a matter of personal taste and where you live. We are coming home via D Day beaches this year

PostPosted: September 10th, 2013, 4:09 pm 

Recently got back from our 2 week trip to calabria, was a great drive, 2 of us driving non stop we got over to Dunkirk saturday 10th August at 3am and arrived at our holiday villa on Sunday 11th at 1 in the afternoon, a 34 hour drive stopping for fuel, and breaks. Spent around 550 euros for fuel and all tolls in Italy there and back. I have a vignette which looks like new if anyone is interested. In total the car did 1700 miles each way. Weather was fantastic, food and beaches even better, til next year!

PostPosted: September 10th, 2013, 4:34 pm 

What's a vignette?

Lorica

PostPosted: September 10th, 2013, 8:15 pm 

lorica wrote:
What's a vignette?

Lorica

40 Swiss franc toll sticker compulsory to purchase if travelling through Switzerland, valid until January 2014