A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: December 5th, 2009, 7:29 pm 

Hi all,

My wife and I are early retirees living in Florida, U.S. Recently we've been courted by a promoter of properties on the Ionian Sea side of Calabria. Our interest is the evaluation of the potential for acquiring a retirement home in Calabria. As Americans experiencing the effects of the rapidly declining USD we are quite concerned about the viability of relocation to southern Italy on our fixed income (which is paid in USD)! We're also not fluent in Italian, so we wonder about the significance of the language barrier on our chances for a successful relocation as well.

Before committing to visit any one particular area we thought it best to expand our horizons by joining and participating in communities such as this one. It is our hope to make contact with other American retirees who've already made the move in order to better understand our own prospects. We'd love to hear from anyone who fits the description and would be willing to pass on insights, advice, and feedback of any sort...

Best,

Max and Belinda

Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself!
PostPosted: December 5th, 2009, 9:06 pm 

welcome to the site, it really depends on what sort of home you are looking for. Development, city, town, village, country living it is mainly development buyers on this forum but there are a few of us who are not!
Whatever you decide you will enjoy a visit to Calabria.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2009, 10:32 pm 

Max & Belinda,

Welcome to the site and I think you are right to canvass opinions on this site with reference to your intention to consider Calabria as a retirement option, however there is another site which caters for Americans looking to relocate to Italy and could be equally relevant for you in relation to your move to Italy. It is: - http://expattalk.com/

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 1:03 am 

Hi everyone
It's so great to find this site, and hear everyone's experiences.
I'm planning to come out on my own in April to look at the possibility of buying (maybe Terrazzza di Pizzo?), but am having problems finding somewhere cheap to stay in Pizzo for my visit.
I'd be happy to rent a room in house, as I don't need a whole apartment to myself. The dates are Tues 6 - Wed 14 April (9 nights).
Anybody got any suggestions, or know anyone who would rent a room cheaply in Pizzo? Not Casa Allegra or Armonia (too expensive). I normally stay in hostels when I travel, so am finding the prices a bit of a shock.
I'm spending Monday night in Milan airport to get to Lamezia on Tuesday, so a bed would be a luxury!
I used to live in Pizzo over thirty years ago - when there was a youth hostel in the Castello and the Hotel Murat was a real dive!!!
This will be my first visit since 1980, and any suggestions/help will be much appreciated.
So glad we have a real international community in Calabria at last - I'm very excited to be coming over, and really looking forward to being part of it.
Best wishes to you all
Anna :)

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 12:02 pm 

Hi Anna,

thank you for joining our forum and I am sure you will find a wealth of information that will be useful in your decision to buy in our beautiful part of Italy.

When you do visit Calabria, make sure you visit us as well as we have a great portfolio of only the best properties on the West Coast of Calabria plus the benefit of being the first ones in the international property business. I moved to Calabria myself in the early eighties for 10 years only to return 6 years ago to start this business.

Here is our list of properties for sale: http://www.incalabria.com/property.php

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards and best wishes for 2010.

Dennis.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2010, 12:32 pm 

Hello Sam, Dennis, everyone

We're new to this site. Having bought an apartment in the Sea Hill/Sands development in November 2007, I found the forum while "googling" various permutations of Sands/Sea Hills/anyone got a clue what is happening?!! There is a wealth of information on here (the sort of information we naively assumed would be forthcoming from developers or agents!) so congratulations to you guys for starting it and growing it so successfully. We'll be posting more on the East Coast thread.

Best wishes,

Nicholas and Annabel.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 10:45 pm 

Hi everyone,

We are Mick and Tracy and we are buying in Collinetta Village.

Micks brother visited the complex on our behalf today. We are hoping that he's taken some photo's. If he has we'll upload some photo's to this site.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2010, 11:29 am 

Hi. I am Valerie and we bought an apartment in The Sands, Sea Hill Village, Brancaleone, after visiting the site on a viewing trip. It all sounded well organised and we were told the completion date would be June 2009. That surprised me as hardly anything had been built. However, we decided to go ahead, found a solicitor - yes, you've guessed it Giambrone Law! Everything seemed ok, the contract arrived, Fiscal Code and Bank Guarantee and so on, so we paid our deposit to G L and sat back and waited. The Completion Date incidentally was by now December 2009. Giambrone Law was on the end of the phone whenever I needed them up to this point. Since then, nothing. First we heard through a third party that the company PGI who showed us around had gone into liquidation. I called GL and they assured me everything was fine as they were not the developers. I then heard from the company who actually organised the viewing trip that due to bad weather, the Completion Date was June 2010. We have now heard that the Developers have lost their funding so again, I have tried contacting my contacts Brendan Dine and Ian Buchan at Giambrone Law. No reply.
How do we stand? Should we change lawyers and disinstruct GL and if so, how can we be sure we are not signing up with another iambrone Law? HELP!

PostPosted: February 6th, 2010, 9:39 pm 

We bought a villa near Scalea - west coast. Each to their own - we prefer the west, and it is only a couple of hours drive from Naples. For us that is easier to fly into from Northern England. There is a fairly large English speaking community in this area - and it is quiet for retiring to.!!

PostPosted: February 7th, 2010, 10:30 am 

Hi Ruggles

We are also buying at the Collinetta its coming along nicely :D
C apparently is ready for completion, internally anyway, outside is still a builder s site. But from pics ive seen it will look lovely when finished.
Cheers Diane

PostPosted: March 17th, 2010, 4:55 pm 

Hi Everybody,
I work with Studio Legale Metta, an Italian law firm based in Apulia which is currently working in Calabria and in other Italian regions. I would like giving you tips about purchasing Italian properties and Italian law, in general.

Here a list of properties we are taking care of, perhaps you could find yours:

Calabria:
- Amusa Mare
- Amusa Residential
- Bergamotto
- Bergamotto II
- Chiara
- Collina Marina
- Collinetta
- Emerald Village
- Fioribello
- Giardino Mediterraneo
- Jewel of the Sea (Gioiello del Mare)
- Le Marinate
- Palm View (aka Marinella)
- See at the Sea (aka Il Molo)
- Sabbia di Marinella
- San Rocco
- Santa Venere

We are covering several other regions, including Apulia, Sardinia, Lake Como area, Abruzzi, Molise, Tuscany and Sicily.

Thank you.
Yours faithfully,
Miriam

------------------------------------
Miriam Mercante - Marketing & Business Development
Studio Legale Metta
Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 57 - 70122 Bari - Italy
Tel: (+39) 080 5211125 - Fax: (+39) 080 62031151
Tel U.K. (+44) 020 8144 1881 - Tel U.S. (+1) 215 764 6160
m.mercante@studiolegalemetta.it
http://www.studiolegalemetta.com

PostPosted: March 17th, 2010, 6:11 pm 

Unless something has changed, I'm not sure how you can be offering Marinate and Santa Venere, when construction of these has been frozen pending investigation and they are already a year late ?

PostPosted: March 18th, 2010, 4:06 am 

was just thinking the same thing........ :?

PostPosted: March 18th, 2010, 12:01 pm 
Welcome to the forum Miriam and Nic .I hope you will fully participate in the forum,you are most welcome and any legal views are much appreciated by us and our forum members.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2010, 8:06 pm 
Hi Sam
I wonder if you can help me get a username and password. I registered with the forum a few months ago but never posted any messages. Now I can't remember my password etc and have tried every which way to re-register and have also emailed the forum twice and called your office yesterday. The woman I spoke to said she had my email in front of her on the screen and would email the info straightaway but I have received nothing. I simply want to log in so as anyone can see who I am, where I am from etc and I want to upload a photo. I might possibly meet up with some other forum members here in Northern Ireland who I have posted replies to as a guest. They also are buyers at Pizzo Beach Club and I feel it is good to at least have a photo and info about anyone you talk to on the web before you meet them. Thank you for your assistance. By the way I think the forum provides a fantastic source of information for people like myself trying to get things sorted out at a distance. Keep up the good work.
May Johnston

Last edited by SamInCalabria on March 23rd, 2010, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
** Removed personal email address for your security. Sam

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2010, 4:16 pm 

Hi All,

Thought I had better introduce myself having bought a property in Pizzo beach Club. (54f)

looking forward to getting the keys although I understand we might be looking at a june completion!

Regards

James

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2010, 9:41 pm 
Hi James
Welcome, I am also a Pizzo Beach Club buyer, 83G. Yes it sounds as though it will be June as there seems so much yet to be done especially with the roads and general amenities. I notice there hasn't been any demands for completion money from VFI so it seems we'll be waiting a while yet. It will be interesting for everyone to meet when we do finally get over there!
By the way while I'm on has anyone reading this had trouble getting registered or re-registered. I had registered a few months ago but never posted anything and now I can't remember my password and can't re-register either as my email addresss is already registered! It seems a catch 22, can anyone help.
May

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 11:06 am 

Dear SantaV666,
you are right about Marinate e Santa Venere, they are still frozen.

Our office is dealing with buyers’ lawyers, and directly with buyers if they do not have a lawyer, to reach a mutually satisfactory settlement. The developer is also going to shortly issue an official update for all the investors, also in view of encouraging more settlements.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Miriam

------------------------------------
Miriam Mercante - Marketing & Business Development
Studio Legale Metta
Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 57 - 70122 Bari - Italy
Tel: (+39) 080 5211125 - Fax: (+39) 080 62031151
Tel U.K. (+44) 020 8144 1881 - Tel U.S. (+1) 215 764 6160
m.mercante@studiolegalemetta.it
http://www.studiolegalemetta.com

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 11:14 am 
Hi May I have the same problem can not remember my pasword and can not re register as my email address is all ready registered,

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 12:21 pm 

Guest wrote:
.. called your office yesterday. The woman I spoke to said she had my email in front of her on the screen and would email the info straightaway but I have received nothing.

Hi May, have you tried looking in Hotmail's spam folder? Companies that send out a lot of mail occasionally end up in there unfortunately.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 7:47 pm 
Hi Dennis
Thanks for your help but I've just checked my 'Junk' and there's nothing there either, any other suggestions would be appreciated.
May

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi May,

I see Dennis is on the case and trying to help you but just so you know, I have removed the email address you posted in your earlier note so that you don't get inundated with spam etc!

Good luck and I'm sure you'll find the Forum an invaluable source of help and information!

Kind regards
Sam

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 11:14 pm 
Hi Sam

Thanks for your reply. I just tried to re-register again and it won't let me as a note comes up saying 'email address is already in use'. I can't use any other email address as I only have this one and I try to use it for everything. Anything else I can do?

Many thanks
May

PostPosted: April 12th, 2010, 7:30 pm 

Hi everyone,my wife and i have recently completed on San Rocco2.It has been a very long bumpy ride up to this point,but we got there.Married with two young teenagers the plan was to rent and/or use during the season and also for investement.Which brings us to the subject of letting/selling agents,does anybody have any contacts for this matter.Also could i ask any 1 bedroom clients,how much they paid for second installment as the builder is requesting more money from us.
Is there another e-mail contact apart from builder at "sanrocco2@yahoo.it".
We need to be in contact with reliable source with ref to "How are we doing",if you get what i mean.Thats us done.Best Regards.Kevin/Emma.
P.S.we reside in Kent,so if anybody wishes to get in touch,please post reply.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2010, 2:50 pm 

blueshed wrote:
Hi everyone,my wife and i have recently completed on San Rocco2.It has been a very long bumpy ride up to this point,but we got there.Married with two young teenagers the plan was to rent and/or use during the season and also for investement.Which brings us to the subject of letting/selling agents,does anybody have any contacts for this matter.Also could i ask any 1 bedroom clients,how much they paid for second installment as the builder is requesting more money from us.
We need to be in contact with reliable source with ref to "How are we doing",if you get what i mean.Thats us done.Best Regards.Kevin/Emma.

Hi
I suggest you contact locally-based (Sant Andrea) Bill+Kath Lenergan at: info@ionianpropertyserivces.com
Annie (also SR2)
(Currently under the Humber Bridge)

PostPosted: April 13th, 2010, 9:40 pm 

Hi Kevin/Emma,

Bill & Kathleen are an Irish couple operating a property management company on the east coast. They actually lived in Kent for a period of time.
Their website is http://www.ionianpropertyservices.it and their email is info@ionianpropertyservices.com.

They are experiencing some minor problems with their website at the moment, but it should be active again in a little while.

Regards,
Paul

blueshed wrote:

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 8:45 am 

Also could i ask any 1 bedroom clients,how much they paid for second installment as the builder is requesting more money from us.

Hi Kevin/Emma,

Congratulations on almost being there. We completed in May last year in block 3. I seem to remember a figure of around 1600Euros to the builder to pay for remote fob, boiler, connection to utilities etc.

I foolishly assumed this would have been included in the price, but like most things it apparently isn't.

I'd also recommend Bill & Kathleen from Ionian. They are lovely people who will really try and help you out where possible.

We are out on May 28th in case anyone fancies meeting for a beer.

Dave & Rachael

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 10:51 am 

The connection charges were 1920 euros when we completed in December 2009 - this seems to be for the intercom and various other things such as gate keys.

Pauline

PostPosted: April 18th, 2010, 6:20 pm 

Thankyou Paul,we are in touch with Kathleen & Bill,she carried out our
snagging and took pictures,unaware they lived in Kent though for a while.Regards Kevin/Emma

PostPosted: May 11th, 2010, 10:06 am 

Hi all,

Great forum, am learning a lot! We have bought a 1 bed apartment in Pizzo Beach Club and looking forward to completing soon.

Haven't decided what to do about furniture yet, not planning on renting out apartment so want to spend as little as possible on it.

Can any one advise me the best way to go about obtaining a Codice Fiscale, we are in Ireland. I might post this elsewhere as well in case this part doesn't get much traffic. Hope that's ok.

Nic

PostPosted: May 11th, 2010, 2:33 pm 

Hi Nic, Welcome to the forum!

If you do a search for "furniture" and "codice fiscale" you'll find loads of info.

Which apartment are you? And have you been given an official date for completion yet?

Also, if you click on "view new posts" it will throw up all the posts since the last time you signed in - that way you don't have to trawl through the index!

PostPosted: May 11th, 2010, 8:00 pm 

your codice fiscale should be on your original contract :D

PostPosted: May 14th, 2010, 1:09 pm 

That's very interesting Tony McCready, must have a look at that. I don't think it is there though, would be great if it was.

dgrcgl29, thank you for those tips! We're looking at 20th May for completion apparently - will believe it when I see it! How about you? Where are you buying?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2010, 5:55 pm 

Hi to All,

My wife and I have recently started looking for a property to buy in Calabria with a view to making it our permanent residence in the next 2 years or so. Having just discovered this forum, it seems a great way to get some inside information that will hopefully guide us in some of our decisions.

We're very familiar with Tuscany but property prices are really expensive especially in the Lucca area, so you can see the attraction of Calabria...

We would love a property close to the sea but are there any areas of Calabria we should avoid? Or if it's easier, where are the best places to live?

In the fullness of time we hope to be able to contribute to the forum with our experiences but in the meantime would be grateful for any help/guidance.

George and Sarah

PostPosted: May 29th, 2010, 7:51 pm 

Hi We are in process of buying apartment in Garden of Olives development. Excited about this, anyone else on here buying there?

PostPosted: May 30th, 2010, 10:50 am 

Hi,

We really do have an open mind - the attraction of having a new property built on our own plot (subject to finding the right one) has much to commend it but we are equally attracted by character and would love to restore an older property to it's former glory. We are a little bit 'anti' buying on a development and would really like to integrate with the local community.

As well as making our efforts, we have a company called the Property Organiser conducting a search for us - it's too early to say whether they'll come up with the goods.

So, I suppose we're an estate agents nightmare in so far as we can't narrow our requirements down to a specific place or type of property but then again, we're flexible in what we'll consider, so that should give us and them more options.

As mentioned previously any guidance would be most welcome.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2010, 4:48 pm 
bearandcub wrote:
Hi to All,

My wife and I have recently started looking for a property to buy in Calabria with a view to making it our permanent residence in the next 2 years or so. Having just discovered this forum, it seems a great way to get some inside information that will hopefully guide us in some of our decisions.

Hi George and Sarah,

welcome to our forum and thank you for joining us. We have catered in the past to people with exactly your kind of requirements by finding or creating exactly the right kind of property that only a truly local company with an understanding of international requirements can offer. Our prices are reasonable, fair, transparent and the same for everybody.

When visiting Calabria make sure you visit our office in the centre of Tropea, we can discuss your requirements in detail and if we don't have what you are looking for on our books we can normally find it or create it!

We are the west coast property specialists since many years and have carved out a reputation for well designed small developments that are part of the local community and an asset to it as well as independent villas built to the client's requirements.

Jessika Onstenk
InCalabria Ltd.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2010, 11:30 pm 

Hii I have been looking at this site for 2years now .We have bought in vista montagna a long running saga which, most of you will know about. Has anyone out there complted with G&L anywhere recently? We are nearly at completion and cannot get them to answere our emails or calls. This is causing us a great deal of anxiety. Anyone with any news?
brandy.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2010, 12:17 pm 

brandy wrote:
Hii I have been looking at this site for 2years now .We have bought in vista montagna a long running saga which, most of you will know about. Has anyone out there complted with G&L anywhere recently? We are nearly at completion and cannot get them to answere our emails or calls. This is causing us a great deal of anxiety. Anyone with any news?
brandy.

Hi Brandy,

I suppose the crucial question is have you sent your completion monies to G&L because if you have you might need to contact the SRA because they concluded that Gabriele Giambrone is "putting or is likely to put at risk the interests of clients" and I understand quite a lot of money is unaccounted for.

Perhaps he is too busy dealing with the various lawyers/barristers in preparation for his appearances before the SDT and the Italian Bar?

PostPosted: June 1st, 2010, 2:09 pm 

Thanks for that. Just heard from them today. Will update you all very soon.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2010, 2:52 pm 

The crucial question for me is why you (or anyone else for that matter) would want to hear from them or indeed hand over any completion monies to them given the SRA's assessment and the fact that the partners are being brought before the SDT to answer serious charges of professional misconduct....beats me and as I'm currently writing about this, I would be grateful for any responses from anyone who is still instructing the firm.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 9:31 pm 
Brandy
I urge you to contact the builder via the vista montagna office and decide yourself to either go with Yulanda or Detullio Lawfirm in order to complete

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 7:02 am 
You don't actually need to go to all the expense of appointing a new lawyer for your completions. You will already have a copy of your preliminary agreement, you have hopefully a current bank guarantee that shows how much you have paid todate, you hopefully have a way of tracking your payments via your original lawyer to the Developer. Why not use Tom Archdeacon with his 750 euros completion package (no additional costs)

You will need to add on your final property balance (you probably paid 50% on contract) plus IVA @ 10% of property price, Notary fees (Tom will tell you how much).

Tom can be reached on 0044 7768483087

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 9:45 am 
We know that Giambrone havent done the due diligence properly on lots of the developments and probably this one too. Has any land gone missing or the car park vanished?

You should be careful about other buyers trying to manipulate you into completing in their own self interest and make sure you act in your own interests and get a lawyer who will not just get you over the line but check that all the original paperwork is in order and they have a copy of the relevant documents on your individual file, will give them to you if asked
(land registry searches, title deeds, the document submitted to get the planning, the actual planning permission, the habitability certificate etc) and will unequivocably state that they are happy for you to complete.

With lots of buyers suffering from the effects of seizures you obviously will want to guard against this and make sure that there are no seizure orders on the development or the apartment you are buying, not sure Tom Archdeacon is qualified to perform those checks, and least we not forget he is ex-Giambrone!

I would give a Power of Attorney to a lawyer to complete on my behalf so you can sue him for professional negligence if it is later found that they did not do the due diligence properly, as so many are doing against Giambrone Law in the UK.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 1:00 pm 
unequivocably state....in writing

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 6:50 pm 

Hi all
Why are so many people writing in under guest umbrella? Especially if to pass judgement on others. This makes them anon and may well hide hidden Agenda's, all it takes is to log on or to finish with your own name.
I have said before and I repeat, just because somebody worked for that company for a while does not mean they are also dodgy. I can vouch for Tom who has helped me solve some probs and has done so without a mention of extra dues.
Allen

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 7:30 pm 
Allen C wrote:
Hi all
Why are so many people writing in under guest umbrella? Especially if to pass judgement on others. This makes them anon and may well hide hidden Agenda's, all it takes is to log on or to finish with your own name.
I have said before and I repeat, just because somebody worked for that company for a while does not mean they are also dodgy. I can vouch for Tom who has helped me solve some probs and has done so without a mention of extra dues.
Allen

We’re all anonymous – not many people either have a login of their true names or a photo of themselves. If you choose to do so, then that’s your personal choice.

There’s no hidden agenda, just a moral duty to warn people that any development where the due diligence has not been carried out by an independent and trustworthy LAWYER could be subject to all kinds of problems, both now and in the future.

I repeat, no hidden agenda, just plain common sense.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 9:58 pm 
If I were you AllenC, I'd definitely be more concerned about the land on which your development is built, because it looks like piece of prime agricultural land to me! It wont be the first time!

Yours
Anon!

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 10:36 pm 
I will go as far as saying, you are very wrong Anon !

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 10:47 pm 
What that it looks like a prime piece of agricultural land...or it wont be the first time!

Its the sheep wot did it! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next