A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Introduce yourself!
PostPosted: May 8th, 2007, 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Ok, I'll start!

My name's Sam and I started this Forum to help other people just like me who are buying (or considering buying) property in Calabria. There are lots of people talking about it on some general travel websites but nowhere - until now - where we could all get together and share our experiences - good or bad.

For the record, we're buying at Il Casale di Capo Vaticano which is stunning - I'll be posting details of our viewing trip, and our continuing 'journey' through the buying process as the months go on.

I hope you find the Forum helpful!

Last edited by SamInCalabria on January 20th, 2008, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: introducing myself
PostPosted: June 1st, 2007, 12:32 pm 

my name is Phil, im married with 2 kids (3+5) my wife is Paula we are 38 and from Bolton in lancashire. We are in the process of buying a 2bed, 2 bath duplex apartment in Isca Marina near to Soverato on the east coast. the property wont be ready until October 08. I am looking forward to spending time out there. I am contemplating renting it out as i will be limited to the amount of time i spend out there due to work commitments. Have you any idea of what rental amounts i could expect. I believe that during july and august the area is full of Italians from the north and americans thus rentals are good and it is roasting hot.

Thanks in advance
Phil :P

Post subject: rent on Ionian coast
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2007, 7:58 am 

Hi Phil,

have you found any agencies to let your property, or seen websites? I know the area is popular with people from the Naples area as it is a short drive for them and cheap.

The only one I could find on google.it was here: http://www.full-services.it/affest.php. €900 per month in August seems hardly worth the hassle though. Around Tropea and Capo Vaticano (the other coast) it is at least that per week!

Consider that there is not a lot of demand for the Ionian coast in general, and in a few years there are going be 1000's of small apartments available for letting - I hope it picks up.

Dennis.

Post subject: Re: rent on Ionian coast
PostPosted: June 4th, 2007, 3:31 pm 

[quote="admin"]Hi Phil,

have you found any agencies to let your property, or seen websites? I know the area is popular with people from the Naples area as it is a short drive for them and cheap.

The only one I could find on google.it was here: http://www.full-services.it/affest.php. €900 per month in August seems hardly worth the hassle though. Around Tropea and Capo Vaticano (the other coast) it is at least that per week!

Consider that there is not a lot of demand for the Ionian coast in general, and in a few years there are going be 1000's of small apartments available for letting - I hope it picks up.

Dennis.[/quote]

not looked around as yet,as its not built yet. But a menber of the sales team at Italian connection was setting up a letting agency, by the amount of property being developed in the area i can see the potential, especially for familes. I found Tropea far to hilly for my taste, it seamed to take forever to get there although you could see it. All those winding roads would do my head in.
cheers Phil

Post subject: Tyke2
PostPosted: July 17th, 2007, 12:45 pm 

Hi everyone

My family is from Yorkshire, and consists of me, wife and a 2 year old. I have reserved a 2 bedroomed apartment at Stromboli Views, Ricadi. 15 mins from tropea. The developer is Sandloka.

I wanted a minimum of 2 bedrooms appartment, not ground floor , because I dont want to have gardens to maintain. Also this is why I wanted an apartment and not a villa.

We will be using it for personal use and close family/friends only, so not too concerned about returns.

I visited about 15 developments from Scalea to Tropea, across to Bianco and to Crotone, with several constructors/Developers/agents. So I saw loads of the area. Feel free to ask for my views.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2007, 9:34 pm 

I think THIS could be the site I've been looking for! Have started looking to purchase an investment property in Calabria (West coast - as better potential for rental). My wife, 2-year old son and I love Italy and go to a different part of Italy about twice a year. So whilst I'm definitely looking primarily for investment, we'd probably also use it ourselves now and again out-of-season.

A couple of companies I've spoken to seem really really pushy. Being a professional sales manager myself - I can see all the "pushiness" a mile off - and it just turns me off and starts to lose my trust. The "incalabria.co.uk" website doesn't give that feel.

I'd be interested (with my wife) in flying over in October for a viewing trip. (We're actually on holiday in September - in Bracciano, Lazio).

I used to speak reasonably good Italian - but it's a bit rusty these days. My wife is fast catching up (doing GCSE at the moment) and my 2-year old is even learning as we're wired up to Italian Satellite telly!

SAM - What rents better - a two-bedroom or a one-bedroom property? My guess would be that one-bed is more in demand, but that is just a guess.

Post subject: Ciao Rob!
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi Rob and welcome to the Forum - I'm glad you found us!

Well done to your wife for learning Italian too - she's a step ahead of me :lol: !

In terms of what's the best property for rental, I think I'd have to say 2 bed really. The reason we chose a 2 bed was for our own use (a family of 3 so my daughter can have her own bedroom when we go over there) and also because I took the view that you're more likely to rent to other families if you have 2 beds available.

A lot of wealthy Italian families from the North (eg Milan and Rome) pour into the Tropea/Capo Vaticano region in the peak summer months and good quality rental accommodation is, as I understand it, hard to find. A high quality 2 bed apt with a pool can command between 1,100 and 1,500 euros a week I've been told. Clearly a one-bed apt would rent for less.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search - keep us posted!

Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself!
PostPosted: January 11th, 2008, 2:20 pm 

:) Hi Bought on Bergamotto in Nov after an apartment came back on the market. Was pleased as after our visit early in November all those within our price range had gone. Didn't want to spend another £30k.
Have seen some photos showing that the development is under construction. Would love to see some photos of the area if available as we didn't actually visit it.
Just waiting on solicitors now, which from what I have read could take some time.

Hoping for additional flights from the North, as Stansted a bit of a pain from South Yorkshire.

This forum is great!

Shelley and Nigel

PostPosted: January 12th, 2008, 12:38 am 
Site Admin

Hi Shelley and welcome to the Forum!

I hope everything goes well with your purchase and you manage a trip out soon to discover the delights of Calabria -you'll find a lot of us on here that absolutely love it over there!
Regards,

Sam

PostPosted: January 12th, 2008, 1:14 pm 

Hoping for additional flights from the North, as Stansted a bit of a pain from South Yorkshire.

Hi Shelley

It looks as if half of South Yorkshire is moving to Calabria!

Welcome to the forum.

Tyke

PostPosted: January 20th, 2008, 1:39 pm 

We've had an old house in a hilltop village south of Soverato for about 5 years.

It's noticeable in the last 18 months how much development has begun. I hope that people will enjoy the area as much as we do and that the developments don't swamp the character that attracts people there in the first place. It's also noticeable that there are big variations in quality and price of these developments and that most people don't seem to spend much time before deciding to buy.

I'd suggest taking some time to explore the villages yourselves and look at older houses as well, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Gareth

PostPosted: January 20th, 2008, 3:59 pm 

Hi Sam,

My name is Ian and we are nearing completion of our 2 bed 2 bath apartment on the west coast of Calabria, in Marinella 5 minutes from Pizzo and 15 mins from the airport.

It is on the 3rd floor of a 4 story block and is 250 metres from the fantastic beach.

We are inspecting the apartment in a weeks time.

We are hoping to rent it out locally and have the property managed for keys, cleaning, linen etc. We will be looking to rent it out from 1st week of june to last week of August, do you think this is right?

Do you know of any agencies/property management companies in the Pizzo area?

I look forward to reading your comments.

Best regards
Ian. :D

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 1:09 am 

Ian W wrote:
Hi Sam,
We are hoping to rent it out locally and have the property managed for keys, cleaning, linen etc. We will be looking to rent it out from 1st week of june to last week of August, do you think this is right?

Hi Ian,
we'd love to feature it on our upcoming rental portal, but Pizzo is a bit off for regarding keys etc. Allegro Toeristiek are on the central Corso (near the fountain) and do rentals. It will definitely be worth talking to your neighbours and agent as volume makes things more profitable and therefore easier to organise. Let me know how you get on!
Ciao,
Dennis.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 3:33 pm 

Hello
We are in the process of buying a 1 bed apartment in San Rocco 2 near Soverato which is aout 7 minutes walk from Isca dreams development.
It would be very useful to keep in touch with others who are doing the same so that we can share info, mistakes good points bad points etc. not to mention the best restaurants. I am aware of an excellent restaurant coming in the future on the coast -"La Fanuchis" - more on that later
We intend to use as a familly holiday home for the first year or so but retiring to this great part of Italy is certainly a consideration.
We are using Giambrone and Law (Like many others) We are slightly conerned that having paid the initial 50% we still await a bankers gauranee however G and L state they still have our money and the gaurantees have been delayed.
Any one else in the same boat
Kenny and Kathleen

PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 5:26 am 

Hello all! We have been checking this part of the world for investment/vacation property. So far, it's looking good to me. I like the idea someone mentioned about looking around more, to really know what's available in the area and more about the locations. I'm in Canada and would be more interested in any legal "glitches" some of you may have had. Any advise is most welcomed.

Anne

PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the Forum Kenny & Kathleen and Anne - I'm sure you'll find some helpful folk on here who will be only too happy to share their experiences with you!

Thanks for joining us!

Sam

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 7:19 pm 

Hi, I've been reading,with much interest, all the posts on this site since about Sept 07. Finally decided to register! My husband and I are interested in, possibly, buying in western Calabria at some point and have found this site extremely informative. Whilst some of the new builds look great I was wondering if anyone knows of any links to agents that deal in resales as I don't seem to be able to find much over the internet despite extensive searching. The best I have come up with is Italian Magazine forum. Thanks.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 7:38 pm 

Are you interested in just holiday complexes or properties in towns/villages.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2008, 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mrs Lard, I've sent you an email,

Kind regards,

Sam

PostPosted: February 5th, 2008, 7:17 pm 

Hi there!

We are interested in towns and villages but am not discounting anything yet. We hope to get a weekend break in the not too distant future to have a good look round. Sam, I don't appear to have received your email!

Regards

PostPosted: February 5th, 2008, 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mrs. Lard,
I have just deleted your email address so it's not visible (Just in case you get bombarded with Spam!)

Not sure why my message hasn't reached you - will resend!

Sam

PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Mrs Lard - I've sent you a PM!

Sam

PostPosted: February 9th, 2008, 2:35 pm 

Hi all,
We are a couple in our mid-thirties - we are visiting the area in a week's time, staying in Tropea for 3 days then flying to Pisa for a day before flying home. It is our first time to Calabria, we have been watching the forum pages and also tripadvisor with interest as we are interested in investing in the area. We are going to spend a couple of days checking out mainly the west coast but will probably look at the east coast too. We plan a day in Sicily too so if anyone has any recommendations/advise please let us know. We will be hiring a car from Lamezia Airport and will have a TomTom Europe to help us on our way! We look forward to joining in the discussions! Justin and Maxine

PostPosted: February 14th, 2008, 7:28 pm 

Hi everyone,

we are a couple buying a one bedroomed apartment by Lake Arvo in Lorica. I jumped in and posted on the forum, so thought I had bettter introduce myself! :roll: I haven't had a chance to look round the forum properly yet, but I hope to catch up in the next couple of days.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2008, 3:11 pm 

HI,

My name is Pat and my husband and I have been impressed with Calabria. My mother is Italian but comes from the North - Milano so I am more familiar with Lake Como. We have two grown up daughters.

Anyway we came on an inspection visit with Medsea in October 2006 and bought a 2-bed property on the Ionian coast in Caulonia. We did go a bit overboard because we re-visited in 2007 and ended up buying another 2-bed apartment (2nd hand property) in Marinella just a couple of hundred yards from the sea and a short drive to Pizzo and Tropea. There are 5 apartments in the block. We also bought 2 1-bed apartments in Lorica - Lake Arvo which we are having converted into one 3-bed apartment.

We haven't had much time to explore Calabria yet but are looking forward to it. We are hoping to get a lot of use of the Lorica property because we anticipate being able to use it both summer and winter for some skiing.

Any advice about Calabria and modes of transport other than car would be helpful. We haven't found out anything yet about local buses, etc.

Pat

PostPosted: February 15th, 2008, 4:18 pm 

GBKPXS01 wrote:
HI,

We also bought 2 1-bed apartments in Lorica - Lake Arvo which we are having converted into one 3-bed apartment.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Looks like we will be neighbours in Lorica :D

PostPosted: February 17th, 2008, 12:47 pm 

Hi everyone,
our family consists of my wife, 2 adult children & 2 grandchildren, + 1 more arriving in April, so we are looking for a little place to escape the mayhem !
( not really ) !
Have been compiling info over several months ref off-plan apts on west & east coast, & narrowed down to Pizzo Beach Club & Residence Marasusa in Tropea area, & Jewel of Sea in Brancaleone. All seem to cost approx same per m2, ( Marasusa inc of frniture, A/C etc ), but Pizzo Beach would seem to offer greater rental returns, as well as being next to a Club Med Resort with supposed rental agreements betwwen developer & resort.
West coast seems less remote, with better touristic infrastructure; can anyone confirm my assumptions ?
Also, will 2 bed Penthouse with rooftop solarium, or top floor apt rent easier than a ground floor ?
Finally, great site Sam, only wish found earlier !

PostPosted: February 17th, 2008, 4:49 pm 

Hi Barry

I would think that a top floor would rent easier, but the ground floor ones seem to sell for a higher price. I think in Italy they value the outside space , i.e garden area that sometimes comes with a ground floor apt.

I would be wary of guaranteed rental and over spill from adjacent resort's etc. to base your rental returns on. If it sounds too good to be true, then.....

You seem to have honed in on the products selling from developers with major marketing campaigns. try some smaller ones too. e.g. Incalabria, Sandloka etc or travel independently and look around with no pressures.

Good luck

Tyke

PostPosted: February 18th, 2008, 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Hi Barry and welcome to the Forum - Im glad you found us!

I would confirm your assumptions regarding the West coast re: infrastructure/existing tourism/rental potential and these are the reasons I chose to buy last March.

One thing I would recommend considering too is the distance from the airport if you have two grandchildren and another pending :wink:. Unless you can get direct flights to Reggio, you (and they) might find it a bit of a trek down to Brancaleone from Lamezia.

At the end of the day, the choice and type of development you go for is very much down to personal choice - you need to weigh up whether you want to be on a huge complex (Competing for rental and eventual sale) or somewhere a little smaller/more select.

Hope this helps but if you have any more queries please don't hesitate to ask on here - we have lots of knowledgeable Forum Members who are buying in many different locations and I'm sure they'd be happy to share their knowledge/advice.

Kind regards

Sam

PostPosted: February 18th, 2008, 2:47 pm 

I disagree on the travel time and problems from La Mezia we have a place near Soverato, 10-15 mins and we find it takes approx 45 mins to get there, the roads are improving all the time and part of the fun of a holiday is looking outside the car telling the children what they are seeing, three wheelers, lorries piled high with artichokes, lemons, organges, potatoes, fennel,melons, roman/greek ruins, castles, run aground boats the list is endless.
The best way to find out is to actually drive there from the airport, obviously missing the rushhours on each separate trial!

PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 8:26 pm 

Hello forum

My name is Sandra, and I've just bought a cancellation at Isca Dreams due for completion sooner than I thought !

I'm interested in hearing from others who've bought on this development and also from others who've already completed with their experience of how long the completion trip takes/needs.

Look forward to hearing your experiences.

Sandra :)

PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Hi Sandra,

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase - w'll look forward to hearing/seeing progress too!

Kind regards

Sam

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 4:00 pm 

donstenk wrote:
Ian W wrote:
Hi Sam,

Hi Ian,
we'd love to feature it on our upcoming rental portal, but Pizzo is a bit off for regarding keys etc. Allegro Toeristiek are on the central Corso (near the fountain) and do rentals. It will definitely be worth talking to your neighbours and agent as volume makes things more profitable and therefore easier to organise. Let me know how you get on!
Ciao,
Dennis.

Hi Ian,

You may want to try a lady called Katia Serratore who has an agency based in Pizzo She helped us with finding our property in Marinella and I understand her husband is running the rental side of things. We are thinking about using her too and we will be talking to her when we go an visit in April.

Pat

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 9:41 pm 

Hello...especially to SaminCalabria who I have also tracked down in ItalyMag site! Hurrah there is a special Calabria site!
Sam do you live here? Does anyone else LIVE here?!!!!!!!!
I have been living in Italy for 3 years and have an on/off love/hate relationship with Calabria where my husband is from. (I know publicity isn't allowed but he is a lawyer who is fluent in English and obviously Italian and whose firm is in the 'international law firms' listing on this site). We keep going but - like bad pennies - coming back!
We are now back for a long stretch to introduce my little boy (4 months and born in N Ireland) to i nonni, aunts etc! (and shudder to think that he will probably eat pasta before potatoes!!!!). We are based near Catanzaro but I would dearly love to move down the coast to Soverato... although that area is getting very built up and could well be ruined if some sort of slow isn't put on things or at least some money spent on the infrastructure. I would love to hear from anyone who lives here especially if they have children! But will enjoy just hearing from anyone really!
Thanks
Lisa

PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 12:02 am 
Site Admin

Dear Lisa,

Thanks for your kind words & I'm glad you found us!! Sadly, I don't yet live in Calabria (But I'm working on it :lol: ). We have, however, bought out here - 1st phase at Il Casale di Capo Vaticano through InCalabria Ltd.

My plan is to spend as much time as we can here at each end of the season - i.e. Easter/Spring/Autumn half terms and holidays. The plan is to rent out hard during July/August to help cover the mortgage.

Do let us know who your husband is/works for - perhaps by posting a message on the Recommendations thread?

Good luck with your plans to move too- keep us posted!!

Sam

PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 9:38 pm 

Thanks for the welcome and I'll do what you suggest in the recommendations! The Capo Vaticano area is breathtaking... and the weather at the times you are coming is great (it was 18 degrees here today-beautiful!). It is far too hot for me here in August so anything we buy (we already have the flat above the parents in true Italian style) by the sea will also be rented then while we return to the cool of N Ireland!!!!
I'll keep a beady eye on the forums to see if anyone else is permanent!

PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 10:56 pm 

Hi Lisa,

I live in Naples but I am planning on moving to Caulonia when my apartment is ready to move in. The completion date is estimated for Dec 08. The shell and the roof is in progress now so it might be sooner than we originally thought. I will definitely get in touch with you when I move there. Send me a pm and will give you more details.

Another Lisa

PS. I have bought in Vista Sila, Caulonia

PostPosted: February 25th, 2008, 9:40 am 

Hi everyone,

We were in Calabria in January 2008 and we have just paid our deposit for a 2 bed apartment in resendicial Amusa in Caulonia Marina - hope to learn from eveyones experience and find out more about the area.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 10:37 am 

Hiya

our apartment is B24 so not far away from you. We are going out in July to check it out and sample the Calabrian summer. We are staying at the Kennedy. When is it you are going out.

Babs

PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 1:48 pm 

Hi everyone, my name is phyl and have bought on san rocco 2 in isca marina. Have heard today completion expected in a couple of months and would love to hear if anyone else is going out to complete around this time.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 8:02 pm 

Hi my name is Joe, I am retired and I purchased an apartment (off plan) in Bianco Calabria two years ago,It was to be completed by last Christmas and as far as I know not a brick has been laid.The name of the development is San Rocco 1.
Medsea are the agents and G&L the solicitors,Since we purchased the apartment the developers have changed a few things,there in now no swimming pool and the underground parking has also been done away with,a three story block of flats has appeared where the swimming pool was to be and our development has had an extra floor added.
On the inspection trip we were shown where the golf course would be ,that has also disappeared . We are so far into this that we feel we have to stick with it,it is the worst thing we have ever got into. Completion date is now June 2009. Joe.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 9:41 pm 
Hello Joe,

I am very sorry to hear the situation you are in. I am very curious as to what you paid: if you get a brand new apartment in 2009 at (genuine) 2006 prices you could land a very good deal anyway.

Nevertheless the moving goalposts don't inspire a lot of confidence and could possibly be a reason for backing out with the support of your lawyer.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2008, 8:43 pm 
i think the train is a graet way to travel goes right round the coast and is cheap to travel on.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2008, 6:42 pm 
Sorry missed the earlier post if that is san rocco 1 at the end of the lungomare in Bianco from what i saw work is deffinatley underway i understand there were some problems with the planning but it is up and moving along now.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2008, 6:00 pm 

8) Hi! We are Richard and Mary, and have bought at Villaggio Marasusa in Parghelia. The site is simply superb, with a breathtaking view over old Tropea to Stromboli and Vulcano on the horizon and wonderfully picturesque beaches at Parghelia itself.
I think anyone buying off-plan should perhaps at least double the time they were quoted for completion! Very sorry to hear of the disappointment at Bianco. Even at Marasusa, a former timeshare development already built but due for some refurbishment, completion is still not arranged just a year since we first saw the property. The property was said to be going to be "key- ready" last June, and then completion was supposed to be in October - but the months go by and nothing yet! The latest estimate date has now also passed - so I'm beginning to hope that at least our children will eventually be able to use the property when we're dead!
By the way, has anyone tried the local "nduja"? It's just unbelievably hot!
Ciao!

PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 8:33 pm 

Hello forum

My name is Glyn and along with my wife I bought a two bedroom ground floor apartment on the Sea Hills development using Italian Connection

The property will be for our own use and is viewed as a long-term investment in property

Completion date is late 2009 - I will be disappointed if this date slips

PostPosted: March 13th, 2008, 9:47 am 

Hello Glyn

have you seen the EAST coast Property topic furtehr down?

Also sent you a Private measage

We have bought in same place -would be good to find out where you are etc etc .

Have put some pics of our site on this forum also.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2008, 3:58 pm 

Hello All!
We are Cheryl and David from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and have just
reserved an apartment in Jewel of the Sea II. We are hoping this complex
will be an investment which will pay for itself through rental and allow us
the opportunity to enjoy our own holiday. We leave for our viewing trip
April 5th and plan to spend a week in the area. To date our experience
with RealPoint Realty has been excellent.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2008, 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Cheryl and David and welcome to the Forum!

It seems Calabria is becoming as popular with Canadians as the UK market!

I hope you find lots of helpful information on the Forum and good luck with your trip in April.

Kind regards

Sam

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 1:17 pm 

kenny and kathleen wrote:
Hello
We are in the process of buying a 1 bed apartment in San Rocco 2 near Soverato which is aout 7 minutes walk from Isca dreams development.
It would be very useful to keep in touch with others who are doing the same so that we can share info, mistakes good points bad points etc. not to mention the best restaurants. I am aware of an excellent restaurant coming in the future on the coast -"La Fanuchis" - more on that later
We intend to use as a familly holiday home for the first year or so but retiring to this great part of Italy is certainly a consideration.
We are using Giambrone and Law (Like many others) We are slightly conerned that having paid the initial 50% we still await a bankers gauranee however G and L state they still have our money and the gaurantees have been delayed.
Any one else in the same boat
Kenny and Kathleen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next